Will GM ever get rid of the G80?

f8l vnm

27 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

Meh... I have plenty of actual personal experience with the units which I know from others that have left this forum is meaningless to talk about....but still.  They peg easily and rely heavily on using inferior fluid to allow the friction required to operate. It's like the Gov Lock... love it or hate it.

I understand and respect opinions. However, I don't agree that the Torsens need inferior fluid. I put good Mobil1 stuff in mine and it worked fine. Never an issue. They are a very clever design when you think about it. Also, they are spec'd on the Humvees, as well as many other vehicles, so I'm not really sure that mickey mouse would be a good qualifying term to use for them. For hardcore high HP mudbogging, they may not be the best choice, but for all other road requirements; snow, ice, dirt, mud, wet etc., they are a very good choice option.

57 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Haven't heard back yet from my source but I've watched the video a number of times and don't find it Micky Mouse at all. 

Those pinions are nested in close fitting bores just like your crankshaft is spinning in the mains and just like your crankshaft it is being forced in directions every which way and yet I don't see that as MM either. These are hardened gears in hardened bores spinning at or near zero rpm. They don't rely on case friction but gear friction. Clutches in  you LSD rely on friction. Clutches in the AT or for your MT or your brakes all rely on friction. Two gears on opposite shafts in a MT are trying to force themselves away from each other. The sun and planetary gears in your AT ditto. None of that is either MM nor is it even avoidable. Eaton designed for this just like anyone else does when friction is the operative means for functionality.  This is about as seamless a system as has been devised. Millions of these units have outlived the powertrains they control. I'm in.  

We don't agree on a lot, but here I will give you a high 5!

• Like 1

While it is possible that GM will go to a different system, and still use G80 as the order code, here is a video of the Eaton system. 

Also possible they could use different systems in different vehicles....

Edited by redwngr

• 2 years later...
On 12/4/2019 at 9:10 AM, BigBadSierra said:

I'll take a mechanical locker over and electric solenoid or air system or valve pushing  something in place any day.

It's simple and it works that's why they have stuck with it.

Because the G80 works automatically, NO electronics, No input from the driver is needed , 

From personal experience; and I live in Snow Country in the mountains.  I could pull up to a stop sign, snow or some partial ice on the road, and try to pull out, from that stop sigh on a slight uphill grade; and the G80 mechanical locker would allow me to pull out into traffic safely.

With electronic controlled or driver controlled, I would have had to hit a button or switch to engage the locking rear end.  I imagine I did get it to pull out into traffic about 4 feet and one of the wheels hit an ice patch.  Traffic coming and I am  stuck half out in traffic. Talk about shixxing your pants!.

If I had the G80 mechanical locker; there would be no problem. If one tire hit an ice patch, pulling out from that stop sign, the G80 would automatically  kick in and I would be moving. 

I am NOT talking about rock climbing, where I would have time to shift the axle in;  I am talking real world driving. 

And now GM does offer E-lockers, both front and rear.

Yes, for now at least, only on 1500 ZR2 and AT4X.  

G80 rear remains standard on most trims (and available on the lower trims where it is not standard)

G80   Auto-locking rear differential

On AT4X and ZR2 e-locking is standard front and rear (and G80 is not available)

G93 Differential, driver-selectable full-locking front, e-locking

G94 Differential, driver-selectable full-locking rear, e-locking

I'd be more interested in the Multimatic DSSV shocks...also only available on ZR2 and AT4X

ZRX Suspension, Off-Road with 2" factory installed lift and Multimatic DSSV dampers
1 - Not available with 22" LPO wheels and tires.