Will GM ever get rid of the G80?

f8l vnm

The beginning of the end for the G80 will likely start with the new Silverado ZRX / ZR2, where they will undoubtedly have a new front locking diff, plus likely an electronic locker in the rear. This is just my W.A.G.

https://www.motor1.com/news/376084/chevy-silverado-zr2/ 

Otherwise, I'm with others here who like the G80. It's always there when you need it. You never have to stop, push a button, then wait before continuing to climb out of a jam. 

For the majority of truck owners, a G80 is better suited for them. For the minority who do more purposeful off-roading, an electronic locker would be better. But most truck owners do not engage in off-roading very often, so the use of a rear locker is more frequent in pulling your boat out of a lake, getting over a curb, starting on a slick surface, etc. 

Edited by econometrics
  • Like 1

Never understood why people bag on the G80.

Its perfect for a factory locker when you know what it is and how it works.

Ie: Dont baby it.

With an electronic locker most people new to it would wind up in a ditch trying to take their first corner in the rain.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, oldmann said:

only problem I have with the G80 is that is stays locked longer than I like.  

I am new to the G80, coming from a f/r open differential 4x4, it sucked. 

Just curious how you know, or what is the negative of having it stay locked longer longer than you would like? 

There is zero beef with G80. It’s a solid system. This is my 5th GM truck so I know they are good systems. just saying it would be nice to be able to control it yourself. 

Edited by f8l vnm

I have not experienced the G80 yet but I did my research.  Apparently it is only active below 40 mph due to the centrifugal components inside.  I also heard that they have a tendency to break apart and damage the ring/pinion/spiders.

On the other hand I do have experience with the Ford 8.8's clutch based limited slip.  I rebuilt one in a Crown Victoria.  That's a good limited slip in my experience.  No funky business except friction material, spacers, and a spring in the middle to provide the initial pre-load.

I'm sure they all work relatively fine, otherwise GM would not have used the G80 for so long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLgze5NR6Ks

5 hours ago, BlaineBug said:

I have not experienced the G80 yet but I did my research.  Apparently it is only active below 40 mph due to the centrifugal components inside.  I also heard that they have a tendency to break apart and damage the ring/pinion/spiders.

On the other hand I do have experience with the Ford 8.8's clutch based limited slip.  I rebuilt one in a Crown Victoria.  That's a good limited slip in my experience.  No funky business except friction material, spacers, and a spring in the middle to provide the initial pre-load.

I'm sure they all work relatively fine, otherwise GM would not have used the G80 for so long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLgze5NR6Ks

I thought it was 20mph?

In any case that video tells the story pretty well.

Make the speed differential between the two rear tires equal to 100rpm's under XX mph and it will lock in no problem. The bump/tire chirp you will hear and feel is a non issue unless you are concerned about the surface under the tire with traction.

To get it to unlock if it does become stuck, just back and fill a couple times with the steering turned.

My 2001 has seen hard service and I had zero problems with the diff even doing things I know I shouldn't have.

Jackrabbit starts? Yes please! 190K on that truck and the last thing I worry about if the rear dif.

That 40 mph figure might be wrong, I don't know.  I was watching this build yesterday on Power Nation, below.  At 12:40 he starts talking about the G80 and mentions that it becomes an open differential at 45 mph.  Of course the show is like a commercial, as they advertise for manufacturers and sellers of upgrades, so, take his trash talking with a gain of salt.

At any rate, the Ford Ranger seemed odd.  If it had the limited slip I would have felt it should have done better with their tests based upon my own ownership of a Crown Victoria with a Ford 8.8 3.55L.  I rebuilt with stock clutches, non-carbon fiber, and even reused the original S spring and it was a great limited slip.  The spring is a lot beefier in the F150s and Explorers but really doesn't do anything beyond initial preload.  A lot of people would "upgrade" to the truck's version of the S spring thinking it would do wonders but in reality it was just for the initial wheel spin before centrifugal force takes effect and compresses the clutch packs.

I never spun out, either, although in slick conditions I was mindful of throttle application during turns.  I suppose the G80 is built for idiots and soccer moms, which is probably true.

Edited by BlaineBug