Morimoto HID issues 2014 Sierra

Good morning,

I have read some threads with people having issues, but I never really found one just like my issue, and a fix. Have had the kit installed since Christmas of 2017.. so 2 years.

The issue I am having are the lights sometimes both work.. sometimes neither work.. sometimes one side works and the other side doesnt. I have replaced through warranty both ballasts past month or so. Tried a new ignitor in one side... no change. Swapped relays.... still works randomly. Checked the grounds at the battery and the other one.. made sure were clean and to bare metal. No change. Any advice? This is getting old... worked flawless for over a year and a half and now issues.

Here is a video of what it is doing...  Any help would be great. I Have emailed Morimoto... but I am sure they are swamped this time of year so may take a few to get back to me. This is with me locking and unlocking the truck to turn lights on or off. If I start truck and run it... turn lights on or off will do the same thing.. sometimes the lights wont come on at all. 

Good morning,

I have read some threads with people having issues, but I never really found one just like my issue, and a fix. Have had the kit installed since Christmas of 2017.. so 2 years.

The issue I am having are the lights sometimes both work.. sometimes neither work.. sometimes one side works and the other side doesnt. I have replaced through warranty both ballasts past month or so. Tried a new ignitor in one side... no change. Swapped relays.... still works randomly. Checked the grounds at the battery and the other one.. made sure were clean and to bare metal. No change. Any advice? This is getting old... worked flawless for over a year and a half and now issues.

Here is a video of what it is doing...  Any help would be great. I Have emailed Morimoto... but I am sure they are swamped this time of year so may take a few to get back to me. This is with me locking and unlocking the truck to turn lights on or off. If I start truck and run it... turn lights on or off will do the same thing.. sometimes the lights wont come on at all. 

I had similar issues with morimoto bulbs working intermittently and after 3 or 4 warranty replacements I decided to go a different route and found an LED replacement option in my 17 Silverado. Good luck, ive read several posts with people having issues with morimoto bulbs and lots of warranty replacements

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the identical issue. It was passenger side not working so i swapped the ignitors and the issue moved to the driver side so that was the issue.

With warranty i just got the replacement ignitor and it doesnt work. I put the old one in and it works. Waiting for reply on why a brand new in package ignitor wont work.

2 hours ago, Ozer said:

I have the identical issue. It was passenger side not working so i swapped the ignitors and the issue moved to the driver side so that was the issue.

With warranty i just got the replacement ignitor and it doesnt work. I put the old one in and it works. Waiting for reply on why a brand new in package ignitor wont work.

Yep... its a pain in the arse. Waiting to see what Morimoto says.

58 minutes ago, FastWS6TA said:

Just switch over to Hylux ballasts fellas and ditch that Morimoto ballast bullshit. No relays needed for the Hylux ballasts. Just plug n play.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Exactly this

fastws6ta is the owner of fastheadlights.com

He told me to get the hylux ballasts 2 years ago because they were more reliable.

I have morimoto bulbs and hylux ballasts and oem reliability. I’ve been promoting hylux and fastheadlights ever since. I really don’t know why anybody buys Morimoto ballasts. I guess they are more well known.

Edited by truckguy82
  • Like 1

I’ve got hylux ballasts with morimoto bulbs. I switched to the hylux when my last morimoto ballasts went out. I bought my original kit from TRS and they told me I still needed the relay harness kit. I haven’t tried it without the relays but all that BS is installed already and figured I’d just leave it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk