Best performing exhaust with quite sound

On 1/11/2020 at 6:54 AM, SquireSCA said:

I have to ask the obvious... If you want it quiet, why install an exhaust at all?  Leave it stock.

Unless you couple a catback exhaust with a CAI and preferably a tune, you really are not gaining any performance...  

The intake and exhaust either needs to be less restrictive to make a little more power, or it can be quiet...  It's kinda hard to pick up any significant power and also have it stay quiet.  It's one or the other, and you need to pick ONE and call it a day, IMHO.

First answer, I would install an exhaust to eliminate restrictions the sound comes from removing restrictions. You're right, with an exhaust comes more noise. It's how much noise you're willing to put up with to gain more power from a free flowing exhaust. Like I stated earlier, and I wish I would have snapped a picture of it, the flappers even wide open cover up about 40% of the pipe.

To your 2nd point, I did couple it with a CAI just didn't mention it cause this thread was about exhaust. 

The intake is the Rotofab. It's a sealed box, so hardly any noise from that. The magnaflow is a straight through design so very little to no restriction at all. I went with their 22" body which is surprisingly quiet.

I think I got the best of both worlds, very quiet, free flowing exhaust...

20191204_192842.jpg

GM performance exhaust add 13 hp and 7 ft lb of torque add the GM factor airbox and you get 15hp and 9 ft. lb. of torque - it is louder than stock, but not loud - overall a well engineered OEM set up.

You can buy at ShopChevyHQ for best pricing I have found.  Air box is $468 and exhaust is $1,233, a good discount to OEM pricing of $625 and $1,645 respectively.

Exhaust link:  https://www.shopchevyparts.com/performance/2019-sierra-1500-performance-exhaust-62l-dual-rear-crew-double-cab-short-wheel-base/84527234-p-92301840.html

Cold Airbox Link:https://www.shopchevyparts.com/performance/2019-silverado-1500-air-intake-kit-performance-cold-air-62l-engine/84789804-p-92300616.html

Nice thing about OEM is no drone and no other issues.

GMC Marketing Information from GMC Website

The 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 delivers a unique blend of distinctive premium style, advanced technology, and off-road capability in a full-size pickup truck – but the new 2019 Sierra AT4 Off-Road Performance Package further extends AT4’s credentials and capabilities, both on and off-road.

Performance is a key ingredient to every Sierra AT4, and the Sierra AT4 Off-Road Performance Package takes the AT4’s abilities a step further. Not only does the AT4 Off-Road Performance Package include the 6.2L V8 with Dynamic Fuel Management and a ten speed automatic transmission, it also includes a specially-designed Cold Air Intake and Performance Exhaust System. Both the intake and exhaust system are designed to not only optimize performance, but also deliver an unmistakably sporty exhaust note.  Thanks to these additions, the AT4 Off-Road Package delivers 435 horsepower and 469 lb-ft of torque - increases of 15 horsepower and 9 lb-ft of torque over a Sierra equipped with a conventional 6.2L V8 engine, and 80 horsepower and 86 lb-ft of torque over Sierra AT4 models equipped with the standard 5.3L V8. 

Previous Slide

GMC Sierra AT4 Off-Road Package Exhaust System

GMC Sierra AT4 Off-Road Package 6.2L V8 with Dynamic Fuel Management

Next Slide

Edited by Supercup

• 1 month later...

This is dyno sheets from my 2019 Denali 6.2L. Before and after my exhaust from Heartthrob Exhaust in Minnesota. Sounds mean, but not overpowering. And dyno results show true gain measured at the wheels. Yellow is before, green is after it was installed. Heres the video after it was done. 

Screenshot_20200228-204933_Gallery_compress97.jpg

Screenshot_20200228-205003_Gallery_compress5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2020 at 8:11 PM, Duramax.willard said:

This is dyno sheets from my 2019 Denali 6.2L. Before and after my exhaust from Heartthrob Exhaust in Minnesota. Sounds mean, but not overpowering. And dyno results show true gain measured at the wheels. Yellow is before, green is after it was installed. Heres the video after it was done. 

So the only changes you made were exhaust and you made gains like that? Long tube headers installed along with a cat back?

I still find that the 5.3L sounds best with the muffler and flapper delete, but leave the screens on the exhaust, the resonators, intact.

Its decently loud and growly when you put your foot into it, and almost stock quiet when just cruising down the road...  Best of both worlds, and it costs you $100.

I have been playing with covering the little resonator panels, which does make it sound louder and meaner, but then it drones in the cabin when cruising down the road, which I do not like.  I may try to cover up only some of them, and see what combination gives me the most noise, without droning...

Have you found the best combination of covering the resonator screens without drone? Also what muffler do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/14/2020 at 5:11 PM, Duramax.willard said:

52Hp/59Tq from a catback exhaust..or?  

1 hour ago, bshort said:

52Hp/59Tq from a catback exhaust..or?  

Yes, literally just the exhaust kit from Heartthrob Exhaust. No headers. It deletes the flappers, allows better flow through the new muffler and is corrects the pipe to allow for a true 3 inch exhaust all of the way back without reducing to adapt to the muffle and such.

17 hours ago, Duramax.willard said:

Yes, literally just the exhaust kit from Heartthrob Exhaust. No headers. It deletes the flappers, allows better flow through the new muffler and is corrects the pipe to allow for a true 3 inch exhaust all of the way back without reducing to adapt to the muffle and such.

Yeahhhhh

12 hours ago, bshort said:

Yeahhhhh

If you don't believe it I don't know what to tell you man. Sounded crazy to me. Ran the damn thing on the dyno for multiple runs, even recalibrated the damn thing to make sure it wasn't lying. Numbers are numbers man. I mean look, even wide open the flaps (there are two) restrict the pipe by like 30% and the muffler doesn't help. Let alone closed they have a hole like the size of a damn ink pen letting exhaust out. I sincerely believe this 6.2L is way tuned down and restricted for some reason, I mean why else would they make the tuning damn near impossible when even bolt-ons add a noticeable difference 

20200327_210600.jpg

20200327_210544.jpg