Best performing exhaust with quite sound

The stock exhaust.

Just slapping on a cat-back system isn't going to gain you any significant horsepower. If sound is what you want, go for it but don't think you're going to gain 30hp or anything.

Youtube is your friend for sounds. Stick with a non chambered style muffer and you'll be happier. Magnaflow, dynomax, borla should all make something like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gswartz said:

You're not going to gain any noticeable performance for the money spent. The only reason to do exhaust on a stock truck is sound. The exhaust is still being pushed through stock manifolds and cats. 

That is not 100% true, with all the flaps and dampers and stuff they put on a stock exhaust, you will see some gain taking that all off and allowing the exhaust to "flow" out more freely. Also with most reputable exhaust companies they spend the money, do the research and have performance mufflers that assist with scavenging, to help clear out a little more burnt exhaust from the cylinders. That being said your truck will run, all be it very slightly, a little stronger. I got the Gibson cat back and it is louder, but not super loud, as I did not want to wake the neighbors either, I do like the sound of it, louder when you get on the throttle, but fairly mellow at idle and low RPM's. Paid $478 on Realtrucks.com. Check it out.

Edited by Londart2020

I still find that the 5.3L sounds best with the muffler and flapper delete, but leave the screens on the exhaust, the resonators, intact.

Its decently loud and growly when you put your foot into it, and almost stock quiet when just cruising down the road...  Best of both worlds, and it costs you $100.

I have been playing with covering the little resonator panels, which does make it sound louder and meaner, but then it drones in the cabin when cruising down the road, which I do not like.  I may try to cover up only some of them, and see what combination gives me the most noise, without droning...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SquireSCA said:

Catback sysems will give you negligible gains in performance.  If you want more performance without sound, you should have gone with the 6.2L motor...

I do have a 6.2L and living at altitude just trying get get every bit out of her. Agreed after research easiest move would be to remove the stock mufflers and run straight pipe. Leaving cat and baffles attached. Marginal gains but hands down best value from my research.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, justin saleeby said:

I do have a 6.2L and living at altitude just trying get get every bit out of her. Agreed after research easiest move would be to remove the stock mufflers and run straight pipe. Leaving cat and baffles attached. Marginal gains but hands down best value from my research.

Could very well be. I think I am going to have a local shop weld back in the rear 6.2L resonators, as there seems to be just a bit of "helicopter" sound between 40-50MPH.

The resonators help reduce drone. The adaptive valves (flappers) are the thing that cut the helicopter sound down. Unfortunately they also cut the power the most; very restrictive, even wide open. Look at a cross section of them once.

Frankly you can’t have it both ways. A well designed cat-back mitigates some of the unsavory noises, all of the drone and adds a fair bit of power (13hp on the 6.2 for the GMPP setup). But that setup is still louder and still has some odd noises in DFM. I live with it because the sound at WOT is just sublime.

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

The resonators help reduce drone. The adaptive valves (flappers) are the thing that cut the helicopter sound down. Unfortunately they also cut the power the most; very restrictive, even wide open. Look at a cross section of them once.

Frankly you can’t have it both ways. A well designed cat-back mitigates some of the unsavory noises, all of the drone and adds a fair bit of power (13hp on the 6.2 for the GMPP setup). But that setup is still louder and still has some odd noises in DFM. I live with it because the sound at WOT is just sublime.

What is your set up?

8 minutes ago, Londart2020 said:

Do you also have the CAI? I got the Gibson exhaust and that is the only thing that kind of bothers me..but like you say the tone is just about perfect. 

I have the Roto-Fab CAI. Doesn’t add much sound really.

There’s also a 33% chance you’ll lose power by adding a new exhaust or messing with your current one. 33% you may gain a few extra horse power which you WILL NOT even notice and then the 33% chance you’ll not get anything out of it other than a sound difference. Quite honestly, you’d need at the least a really good tune and CAI in order to even really make a difference but then you really don’t even need an exhaust to get extra hp, just a tune will do. I was informed by a few people in the industry to NOT add an exhaust cause the 6.2 gets really loud, much more than the 5.3. I love the way my stock exhaust sounds with remote cold start, smooth and enjoy peace inside cab lol

Sent from Above

• Like 1