2019 Silverado LD Acceleration Hesitation Issues

I'm new to the forum, so thanks in advance for providing this resource. I took a look around and I am not finding anything specific to the 2019 (Legacy) Silverado LD. My truck (brand new with 150 miles) has a terrible hesitation/skip when I accelerate gradually and it is most noticeable when the transmission is in a higher gear and the RPM's are about 1200 to 1800 (the truck feels like it is in too high a gear and is "lugging" somewhat}. A good way to experience the hesitation is to accelerate gradually up an incline. It also seems to have a difficult time deciding which gear to be in and I get some clunky shifts up/down. I saw some info on the 2019's with the 8 speed tranny, but mine has the 5.3 with the 6 speed tranny. Anyone else experience this and is there a fix? Ty.

I have the 6 speed as well. On a slow acceleration from a stop the shift from first to second gear sometimes makes the truck lunge a bit. I’ve got 3,000 miles on it now and it seems to be smoothing out a bit though. Sometimes on downshifts it feels kind of clunky too. I’ve tried to just ignore it and not let it bother me because other than that it drives great. 

12 hours ago, tuna mac said:

I have the 6 speed as well. On a slow acceleration from a stop the shift from first to second gear sometimes makes the truck lunge a bit. I’ve got 3,000 miles on it now and it seems to be smoothing out a bit though. Sometimes on downshifts it feels kind of clunky too. I’ve tried to just ignore it and not let it bother me because other than that it drives great. 

Does yours hesitate/skip as well? As if there is a problem with fuel mapping? Mine is fairly obvious most times, but could be fairly subtle if you weren't really paying attention.

I would say yes it does hesitate sometimes and then have a rough shift into the next gear. I’ve read the 6 speeds can be clunky but are generally reliable so I’ve tried to ignore it. As long as it doesn’t break long term I can live with its quirks. 

32 minutes ago, tuna mac said:

I would say yes it does hesitate sometimes and then have a rough shift into the next gear. I’ve read the 6 speeds can be clunky but are generally reliable so I’ve tried to ignore it. As long as it doesn’t break long term I can live with its quirks. 

Ok thank you for the response. Mine is too obvious to ignore. Love the truck but hate the hesitation.

15 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

The hesitation you're experiencing under light acceleration is the AFM.

so long

j-ten-ner

That would make a lot of sense based on what it feels like to me. It’s almost as if on slow acceleration the engine decides “oh wait I have 350hp not 150...” and then lunges a bit without me changing the pedal position much. 

2 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

The hesitation you're experiencing under light acceleration is the AFM.

so long

j-ten-ner

That is what I thought, based on some web searching, but this occurs all the time (under light to moderate acceleration that is), just not when the AFM is active or about to be activated. No question that the AFM sucks too, but this seems like piss poor fuel/transmission mapping. However, I think I am going to try the Range AFM disabler to see if that corrects the issue.

Same issues here with the 8sp. Doesn't now what gear to be in, AFM sucks, step on the gas AFM makes truck hesitate, truck can't figure out what gear it should be, the add low RPM's and a surging engine resulting into slamming down 2 gears. 

I have noticed mine will hesitate only when it's cold. I live in Maine, I am not talking like winter cold, but first starting out in the morning for work, could be 60 degrees or 10 degrees. Only have noticed it then. Hope that helps

• 3 months later...

Just picked up my CPO 2018 with 6 speed and 5,600 miles on it. Sounds like mine doing the same thing. Feels like hesitation or something holding it back from running smooth down the road. My 2006 is smooth as silk. Reading this post i am wondering if my newly acquired truck has an issue. Very noticeable to me no light lit on dash or anything.

What is the AFM Automatic Fuel Management? a guess.