2020 3.0 Diesel Engine fan Racing (Diesel particulate filter?)

2 hours ago, Klientook said:

GMC Ryan 

Where does it say that there is updated programming in the tech link article? 

"If this condition is found, clear the DTC and return the vehicle to the customer. Do not perform any further diagnosis or replace any related components. An updated calibration will be available shortly."

That was December 2019.

5 minutes ago, GMC Ryan said:

"If this condition is found, clear the DTC and return the vehicle to the customer. Do not perform any further diagnosis or replace any related components. An updated calibration will be available shortly."

That was December 2019.

Right so it does not say there is updated programming like you stated which is what I was told by the dealer. Jusy because it was stated in Dec 2019 does not mean they have corrected the issue your post is misleading some of us who are being told by the dealerships that this has not been corrected as of a few months ago.

You don't think that 13 months is long enough for them to update the calibration to correct an identified issue? 

Easy enough for a dealer to check to see if a VIN has any outstanding updates.

Edited by redwngr

Recalls maybe, but for TSBs?  It is usually the mechanics themselves who search for those, not the service writers.  And because there are so many TSBs out there in the industry, they don't go about memorizing all of them.

Well apparently not both dealerships i went to said the same thing. So do any of you guys have this updated and dealt with? Or are you just making assumptions? Seems the later. 

If anyone has had this fixed and has a clear direction to take to the dealer that would be great!! 

16 hours ago, Klientook said:

Right so it does not say there is updated programming like you stated which is what I was told by the dealer. Jusy because it was stated in Dec 2019 does not mean they have corrected the issue your post is misleading some of us who are being told by the dealerships that this has not been corrected as of a few months ago.

I didn't mean to mislead anyone. The Techlink article itself said "available shortly" back in 2019. We're now 14 months past that article and most people would agree that is well beyond "available shortly". This is my sixth GM vehicle with a thermostat in the block heater cord and none of them had an issue with fans coming on when plugged in at too warm of a temperature. If the software engineers can't fix that in 14 months, maybe they should hire new ones.

28 minutes ago, GMC Ryan said:

I didn't mean to mislead anyone. The Techlink article itself said "available shortly" back in 2019. We're now 14 months past that article and most people would agree that is well beyond "available shortly". This is my sixth GM vehicle with a thermostat in the block heater cord and none of them had an issue with fans coming on when plugged in at too warm of a temperature. If the software engineers can't fix that in 14 months, maybe they should hire new ones.

The new 2020 GMC 1500 duramx does not come with a thermostatic block heater cord hence the problem some of us are facing. 

I definitely agree they need new engineers this is a rediculus problem to have a year later. 

18 hours ago, Brandonb0013 said:

Dropped it off at the dealership this evening.  They said there was no service bulletin for this issue and they were not aware of it.  I printed off this article and left it with them since it explains it better than I can.  I will have more information tomorrow.  I am not aware when my truck was manufactured, but it is a 2020 model.

Hear anything back yet Brandon?

6 hours ago, Klientook said:

Well apparently not both dealerships i went to said the same thing. So do any of you guys have this updated and dealt with? Or are you just making assumptions? Seems the later. 

If anyone has had this fixed and has a clear direction to take to the dealer that would be great!! 

The guy I deal with always checks for updates of programming and calibrations when I'm signing a vehicle in. 

Sometimes it's an issue known from the forums, but often it is not.  

I'm always surprised how many there are.

The new 2020 GMC 1500 duramx does not come with a thermostatic block heater cord hence the problem some of us are facing. 

I definitely agree they need new engineers this is a rediculus problem to have a year later. 

Interesting. Seems rather short-sighted to eliminate the thermostat when GM knows there will be problems plugging in above 0F/-18C. I wonder if you could just get a block heater cord with the thermostat and let that take the guess work out?

Hear anything back yet Brandon?

Yup... you're gonna wanna sit down for this.

"The coolant was low.  That's why the fans were running."  They found a coolant leak on the water pump.  They will be replacing it tomorrow.  

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty good with vehicles.  It's been cold and snowy etc, maybe I wouldn't have noticed a puddle forming under my truck, but one would think that if the cooling fans were running hard (like we've experienced) due to low coolant levels, then there should be a CEL or some driver information center warning that the coolant is low.  

I don't believe this is the cause, but hey if they found a leaky water pump and are going to replace it under warranty, be my guest.  But when I get it home, I will be plugging in the block heater and testing it out.  

I'll keep this thread updated with my findings.  Sorry it's going to have to wait a few more days.

No change this morning, the fans still running when using the block heater.  Brought it to the dealer with the fans running this time and they are going to have another look at it.  They initially wanted to blame it on the recent coolant exchange, but I disagreed.  They are going to look more into it and research any software updates.  Again, I'll keep this updated as I get notified.

57 minutes ago, Brandonb0013 said:

No change this morning, the fans still running when using the block heater.  Brought it to the dealer with the fans running this time and they are going to have another look at it.  They initially wanted to blame it on the recent coolant exchange, but I disagreed.  They are going to look more into it and research any software updates.  Again, I'll keep this updated as I get notified.

Pretty unbelievable that no dealer can figure out the answer to this. I even took the Bulletin like you did in.