2009 Cheverolet 1500 Exhaust Manifold

Paul Kitchen

Question

Is it necessary to replace an exhaust manifold because of a stripped bolt?  I got a call from dealership that the exhaust manifold needs to be replaced because a bolt is stripped and the Tech does not believe the manifold will fit correctly if not replaced.  I am not new to maintenance,  I dont think that a replacement is necessary...... am I wrong?

7 answers to this question

What bolt is stripped? I would be asking for a better description of why it is being recommended. It is more common to have manifold bolts break off at the head. 

If they are actually calling a broken bolt a stripped bolt, then I would not let them work on the truck.  Using incorrect terms/names is a pet peave of mine. It is just as easy to use correct terms. 

19 minutes ago, Doug_Scott said:

What bolt is stripped? I would be asking for a better description of why it is being recommended. It is more common to have manifold bolts break off at the head. 

If they are actually calling a broken bolt a stripped bolt, then I would not let them work on the truck.  Using incorrect terms/names is a pet peave of mine. It is just as easy to use correct terms. 

I am going over to get a look at it.  Yes its not very descriptive,  he said its the thread on the insert, but I know the bolt threads into the head, which is why I dont understand replacement of the manifold..... unless they damaged it (manifold) while removal of said bolt, which I think is the actual reason.

2 hours ago, davester said:

On GMT800 trucks (model before yours), the exhaust manifolds have studs on them for connecting the exhaust pipes to.  Likely similar on the newer engines as well.

Or maybe there's some other stud on the manifold for mounting something to it?

I went to dealeship.  The engine has been replaced before for the Cam Lifters failing.  This is the 2nd time this has happened.  Besides that, I saw what they wdre talkmg about, they told me that the last Tech must have stripped/over torqued the bolt/stud that connects the exhaust pipes, not the ones on the cylinder head.  When I went to look at it, looked lik some freah score marks and damaged threads on the manifold.  They cant prove to me that the last tech caused it or if the current one did not.  I told them I should not be on the hook for the part and if anything replace the stud/bolt and Tap/die the manifold..... but the tech wasnt there today, alas I will have to wait.  Am I on the wrong track here?

I think the studs are replaceable, at least on mine, so you shouldn't have to spring for a new manifold.  It wouldn't surprise me if the stud was recently stripped and not stripped by previous work, as the stud is pretty long, and you would really have to work hard to get a nut on all the way, with it cross-threaded...

As others have said, this is one of those things that are near impossible to assess without being there.  Personally, I used to hate having to remove manifolds or exhaust front pipes on GM vehicles. The studs they used were 3/8" and would rust away to nothing faster than the front pipe rusted.  

If whatever stripped during disassembly I wouldn't blame the technician.  Stripped threads going back together is a different story.