Cold coolant

Stevie

I wonder if it's normal that my coolant temp gauge stay that low after 30 minutes of idling on freezing temperature. Engine is a 2.7 turbo 4 cyl.  -21c/-6f.  

15793004838169041810847236807905.jpg

Edited by Stevie

Facing the wind or in still air?

At those temps, does it run up to the normal warm weather temp when driven? 

If the gauge markings are 'linear' that's close to 185. 

No location given, but how long do the -20*C and below temps last where the truck lives?

that's in still air, when driving at highway speed, gauge will climb up to 100, nice a warm air in the cab, as soon as I enter the city and stop at traffic light, gauge start to drop again. I live in Edmonton Alberta, so we do get fairly lots of days below -20c. 

My 6.2 won’t get much above 190F if it’s mostly idling or even driving around town in cold weather...so it’s similar to what you’re seeing. 

I’ve noticed these trucks have a lot of cooling capacity in general. But beyond that, the 2.7 has another wildcard with the electric water pump and “active thermal management“...

I don't think there ain't is the problem. Might have a bad thermostat its unlikely but possible.

Also, I was reading on the VW forum and lots of people are experiencing the same issue with the 4 cylinders turbo engines 

18 hours ago, Stevie said:

that's in still air, when driving at highway speed, gauge will climb up to 100, nice a warm air in the cab, as soon as I enter the city and stop at traffic light, gauge start to drop again. I live in Edmonton Alberta, so we do get fairly lots of days below -20c. 

Does that truck have the shutters and are they working?

Are others running winter fronts up there?

Just now, Blong7328 said:

diesel truck run cool.  that is why you see tractor trailers with screens across the radiator in the winter  blocking off air flow to get temps up.

OP has a 2.7L turbo gasser....

5 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Does that truck have the shutters and are they working?

Are others running winter fronts up there?

It does have shutters and they are working, mostly closed as far I as know, I drop my truck at the dealership this morning and they let me bring another Sierra with the 2.7 turbo home, this one here is even worst than mine, coolant won't even reach 100 mark on highway with heater on..  it must be how they work I guess! 

7 hours ago, Stevie said:

It does have shutters and they are working, mostly closed as far I as know, I drop my truck at the dealership this morning and they let me bring another Sierra with the 2.7 turbo home, this one here is even worst than mine, coolant won't even reach 100 mark on highway with heater on..  it must be how they work I guess! 

What's wrong with the temp?  My truck gets up to 90C in the winter and stays there when driving around, and I get buckets of heat in the cab (and I'm also in Edmonton).  It basically just hangs around the temp the thermostat opens at.

I would say it's fine.

10 minutes ago, davester said:

What's wrong with the temp?  My truck gets up to 90C in the winter and stays there when driving around, and I get buckets of heat in the cab (and I'm also in Edmonton).  It basically just hangs around the temp the thermostat opens at.

I would say it's fine.

Well here is the easiest explanation i have for you, on Henday, lotsa heat, stop and go, medium heat, idling, no heat! I guess that the way it work nowadays!! 

I was just wondering if it was normal or not, dealership said its normal and the loaner they lend me today was even worst than mine!  Its all good! 

15 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Well here is the easiest explanation i have for you, on Henday, lotsa heat, stop and go, medium heat, idling, no heat! I guess that the way it work nowadays!! 

I was just wondering if it was normal or not, dealership said its normal and the loaner they lend me today was even worst than mine!  Its all good! 

Is the water pump driven off the crankshaft or is it a separate electric setup?  The coolant even being at 80C should be enough to heat up the cab, so perhaps it just doesn't circulate enough coolant through the in-cab heater core.  If it's an electric setup, then GM could perhaps reprogram it to pump more coolant when it's cold outside...  Or if it's engine-driven, then a high-idle setup maybe?

With how cold it's been the last couple of weeks, it would suck to have a poor heater setup.

Edited by davester

29 minutes ago, davester said:

Is the water pump driven off the crankshaft or is it a separate electric setup?  The coolant even being at 80C should be enough to heat up the cab, so perhaps it just doesn't circulate enough coolant through the in-cab heater core.  If it's an electric setup, then GM could perhaps reprogram it to pump more coolant when it's cold outside...  Or if it's engine-driven, then a high-idle setup maybe?

With how cold it's been the last couple of weeks, it would suck to have a poor heater setup.

Its an electric water pump.  I think there is no thermostat neither, its like a chamber that pivot and open and close to divert the coolant, either to warm up the engine and transmission oil or to the rad.  It seem like a complicated engine setup!  My goal is to keep it for decade... lol.  I'll be fine with all the global warming happening!