2016 high country USB failure? Projection not working

Hey I just purchased this truck used 2 weeks ago. All power ports seems to work except the 2 USB ports below the dash that are used to project the phone to the display. I looked at fuse 27(passenger side) which states a 10A fuse should be here but there is a 15A fuse in its place. It's not blown. I ordered and replaced the USB ports with a 3 USB configuration which I think it for 2019 and up vehicles. Not sure what else to do from here. Phone will not even charge.

Attached is the replacement part I used but no luck. Any other ideas?

Screenshot_20200111-165429_Chrome.jpg

The triple USB ports is the older hub that GM used for 2014-2015 trucks.

You’ll want to remove your HMI and report back if it’s a 2.0 HMI or a 2.5 HMI.

CarPlay/Android Auto was introduced in 2016 trucks, however, on some earlier model 2016 trucks, GM used leftover 2.0 HMIs until they exhausted them. These trucks had a $200 credit on the sticker.

If you have a 2.0 HMI, it will require new hardware and possibly, new radio module. Both of these will require programming for your truck.

Remove your lower glove box and pull your HMI out and verify.

Lastly, if you’re original usb hub was a double usb hub, you’ll want to keep that and not use a triple. There are internal hardware differences between them.

If it turns out that you do have the 2.0 HMI, you can order what you need from WAMS- https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/2014-2015-5-c-k-platform-car-play-upgrade-retrofit-programming/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Thinking about taking it to the dealer to let them figure out. Since the truck is a high country and everything is electronic I purchased a warranty to cover everything outside of of the powertrain. Theres a 200 dollar deductible so I'm thinking it will be cheaper this way. Also I do not have the window sticker to know for sure.

18 hours ago, pgamboa said:

The triple USB ports is the older hub that GM used for 2014-2015 trucks.

You’ll want to remove your HMI and report back if it’s a 2.0 HMI or a 2.5 HMI.

CarPlay/Android Auto was introduced in 2016 trucks, however, on some earlier model 2016 trucks, GM used leftover 2.0 HMIs until they exhausted them. These trucks had a $200 credit on the sticker.

If you have a 2.0 HMI, it will require new hardware and possibly, new radio module. Both of these will require programming for your truck.

Remove your lower glove box and pull your HMI out and verify.

Lastly, if you’re original usb hub was a double usb hub, you’ll want to keep that and not use a triple. There are internal hardware differences between them.

If it turns out that you do have the 2.0 HMI, you can order what you need from WAMS- https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/product/2014-2015-5-c-k-platform-car-play-upgrade-retrofit-programming/

The hmi display does have the "projection" icon on the diplay. Just to verify this does not mean I have the 2.5hmi? The only way to determine for sure is to remove the dash and physically look?

The hmi display does have the "projection" icon on the diplay. Just to verify this does not mean I have the 2.5hmi? The only way to determine for sure is to remove the dash and physically look?

Projection usually means 2.5 HMI. However, the triple port USB hub you put in is an older unit that doesn’t support CP/AA. Does the inside storage compartment hub work for CP/AA?

15 hours ago, pgamboa said:

Projection usually means 2.5 HMI. However, the triple port USB hub you put in is an older unit that doesn’t support CP/AA. Does the inside storage compartment hub work for CP/AA?

There are 2 ports inside the console compartment. They will charge a phone but do not connect to CP/AA.  The 2 below the dash will not even charge a phone even with the 3 port configuration installed. Chevorlet says they cannot provide a window sticker but can give me a build sheet which I'm waiting on. I did purchase a window sticker from some site and it looks pretty accurate and I did not see a -200 credit anywhere on it.

So, since you are not the original owner of this truck, there is no telling why it isn't working.  So before spending any more $ on things, I would begin exploring.  You can easily verify the HMI you have by removing the lower glove box.  It is only held on by(4) T-15 Torx Screws.  The the glove box pops off.  You'll be able to look underneath and see the connections going into the HMI.  I would unplug those and pull the HMI out.  Verify if you have a 2.0 or 2.5 HMI.  Then go from there.  

If the inside storage compartment USB hub also doesn't work for CP/AA, this may be the case in that you have the 2.0 HMI.

The triple USB port up front not working is likely due to incompatibility.  When you swapped it out, did you notice if a Black 6-pin connector and a Grey USB cable was plugged in?

15 hours ago, pgamboa said:

So, since you are not the original owner of this truck, there is no telling why it isn't working.  So before spending any more $ on things, I would begin exploring.  You can easily verify the HMI you have by removing the lower glove box.  It is only held on by(4) T-15 Torx Screws.  The the glove box pops off.  You'll be able to look underneath and see the connections going into the HMI.  I would unplug those and pull the HMI out.  Verify if you have a 2.0 or 2.5 HMI.  Then go from there.  

If the inside storage compartment USB hub also doesn't work for CP/AA, this may be the case in that you have the 2.0 HMI.

The triple USB port up front not working is likely due to incompatibility.  When you swapped it out, did you notice if a Black 6-pin connector and a Grey USB cable was plugged in?

I will swap back in the 2 port configuration and try to get into the dash later this week to see what HMI I have, hoping I can get my phone camera in there to snap a picture so I do not have to remove it completely. Sounds like you are saying that the 2 ports inside the center console should connect to Android auto also??

I did receive my build sheet from GM. it has a build date of 01/27/2016 and under the option codes I see: "IO6-Chevorlet mylink audio system W/8" diagonal color touch and navigation" 

if it turns out I do have the 2.0 what am I looking at roughly to swap to the 2.5. is it just the cost of the $100 retro fit module you linked + the cost to reprogram or am I looking at more than that?

Thanks,

I will swap back in the 2 port configuration and try to get into the dash later this week to see what HMI I have, hoping I can get my phone camera in there to snap a picture so I do not have to remove it completely. Sounds like you are saying that the 2 ports inside the center console should connect to Android auto also??

I did receive my build sheet from GM. it has a build date of 01/27/2016 and under the option codes I see: "IO6-Chevorlet mylink audio system W/8" diagonal color touch and navigation" 

if it turns out I do have the 2.0 what am I looking at roughly to swap to the 2.5. is it just the cost of the $100 retro fit module you linked + the cost to reprogram or am I looking at more than that?

Thanks,

The $99 price is the cost to for programming only. If you notice, the drop down says “Customer supplying HMI and Radio Hardware”. This means you are sending your own sourced hardware. If you can select to have them supply hardware.

4 minutes ago, pgamboa said:

The $99 price is the cost to for programming only. If you notice, the drop down says “Customer supplying HMI and Radio Hardware”. This means you are sending your own sourced hardware. If you can select to have them supply hardware.

Just popped off the lowe glove box but I dont even think I could fit my hand through that opening

20200121_064328.jpg

Actually the first thing to check is that you have the factory charging cord that came with the phone and the the phone has the current version of Auto Android installed. The first will cause a failure to recognize the phone, the latter only an ambiguous message to update software.

Only the original connection cords that came with our Samsungs would work on the '16. Knockoff cords were otherwise OK for charging, but pins and wiring caused a failure to connect to AA.