Rear Axlw Rating Confusion, need help to clarify!

Just took possesion of a 2018, 1500 LT Texas Edition Crew Cab, short bed  (previous off-the-assembly-line 2003, 2500HD Crew Cab, Long Bed).

I currently own a 26' travel trailer with a max capacity of 7200 lb. Had no issues towing this on my 2500HD. Worth noting I also have a weight distribution setup with that trailer which is an overkill for the 2500HD (better hadling on highway). My confusion is the Rear Axle Rating on the new 1500 truck. According to the manual with a 5.3L V8, 8-speed automatic transmission  it's stating the Axle Ratio: 3.42 with a Maximum Trailer Weight: 9,300 lb, and GCWR: 15,000 lb. 

However, today I went to my local Chevy dealer to get a Vehicle Build from the VIN. He did verbally state that the Maximum Trailer Weight is 9,300 lb, but the Vehicle Build printout states the Rear Axle Ratio as 3.08.

Am I reading or misinterpreting the data wrong? What is the correct Axle Ratio for this truck, 3.08 or 3.42? The only mention of a 3.08 Axle Ratio is for a 5.3L V8, no other details after the V8. Would this be for a Manual transmission?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have until Wednesday to return the new truck before it's officially mine.

• 2018, 1500 LT Texas Edition Crew Cab, short bed
  •  Standard trailer package, no Max Trailering package
  • 5.3L V8 eAssist engine 8-speed automatic transmission
  • GVW 3269 lb, GWV 7,200 lb
  • VIN 3GCUCRER6JG440743

Thank you. First time poster here.

David

There should be a QR code in the drivers door jam with the build date sticker. You can scan that code and it will tell you the equipped RPO codes.

GU4 is 3.08's.

GU5 is 3.23's.

GU6 is 3.42's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Jimenez said:

Just took possesion of a 2018, 1500 LT Texas Edition Crew Cab, short bed  (previous off-the-assembly-line 2003, 2500HD Crew Cab, Long Bed).

I currently own a 26' travel trailer with a max capacity of 7200 lb. Had no issues towing this on my 2500HD. Worth noting I also have a weight distribution setup with that trailer which is an overkill for the 2500HD (better hadling on highway). My confusion is the Rear Axle Rating on the new 1500 truck. According to the manual with a 5.3L V8, 8-speed automatic transmission  it's stating the Axle Ratio: 3.42 with a Maximum Trailer Weight: 9,300 lb, and GCWR: 15,000 lb. 

However, today I went to my local Chevy dealer to get a Vehicle Build from the VIN. He did verbally state that the Maximum Trailer Weight is 9,300 lb, but the Vehicle Build printout states the Rear Axle Ratio as 3.08.

Am I reading or misinterpreting the data wrong? What is the correct Axle Ratio for this truck, 3.08 or 3.42? The only mention of a 3.08 Axle Ratio is for a 5.3L V8, no other details after the V8. Would this be for a Manual transmission?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have until Wednesday to return the new truck before it's officially mine.

• 2018, 1500 LT Texas Edition Crew Cab, short bed
  •  Standard trailer package, no Max Trailering package
  • 5.3L V8 eAssist engine 8-speed automatic transmission
  • GVW 3269 lb, GWV 7,200 lb
  • VIN 3GCUCRER6JG440743

Thank you. First time poster here.

David

Just ran your VIN.  You have 3.08 gearing, also you have the eAssist.  On your 2wd crew cab short box with eAssist, your tow rating is 6400lbs.  This info can be found in the Silverado eAssist supplemental owners manual that hopefully came with your truck that shows the tow rating specifc to Silverado eAssist.  

• Like 1

Well at least he can return it and ge the right truck he needs. Make the salesman do his job and get you in what you need that'll last for years to come instead of selling you models that if new appear to be priced to sell because of being a 2018 vs a 2019, 2020 model. 4wd is a must for me but we have 3ft snow drifts outside this weekend thanks to fresh snow and heavy heavy winds. 

This kind of stuff always puzzles me, as I believe there's a sticker in the driver's door jam listing this information.  There have been a number of posts here and on other forums where people buy trucks and post things like

-it doesn't have a feature they thought it has

-it doesn't have the tow rating for what they want to tow with it

-how the interior (seat height or firmness, range of adjustment, etc)

All of which can be found out ahead of time, either by test driving the vehicle (or one off the lot if you are ordering it), and by researching vehicle info.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, proves my suspisions about the axle ratio rating. Did lookup specs on this one, however was getting mix results or wasn't looking at all the details correctly.

However, funny thing I believe older models had all this important info on the pillar. This model has nothing anywhere on the truck, looked over many times. Only sticker found inside the glove compartment and only stated not to use a slide-in camper. Even the dealer service department I went to today to get the Build sheets gave me the wrong rating for trailer capacity....go figure.

Will be returning and looking for another one. Might have found a Sierra GMC with the towing specs I need in a 1500 series. Again, thanks.

8 hours ago, newdude said:

Just ran your VIN.  You have 3.08 gearing, also you have the eAssist.  On your 2wd crew cab short box with eAssist, your tow rating is 6400lbs.  This info can be found in the Silverado eAssist supplemental owners manual that hopefully came with your truck that shows the tow rating specifc to Silverado eAssist.  

Newdude,

First thanks for the excellent details from the VIN. I looked everywhere online and couldn't get details enough to give me a tow rating, just other specs I already new offhand or didn't care about.

Was wondering if I can bother you once more to check on another VIN? This time for a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab. The specs sheets tell me this has an Rear Axle of 3.42 with a V8, EcoTec3, 5.3 L with Auto, 8-Spd Overdrive transmission. It has a tow package with intergrater electric brake controller, tow mirrors and hitch, however it's not listed in the spec features. VIN 3GTP1NEC7HG406134.

Again thanks, greatly appreciate everything.

Thanks,

The 2017 GMC Sierra won't be delivered until next week. All I'm going with is the info and specs given online for this purchase, VIN, Axle ratio, etc.

However, through some detailed research I was able to download the 2017 GMC Trailering Guide. According to that for the 1500 with a V8, EcoTec3, 5.3 L engine, 8 speed auto transmission and Rear Axle Ratio of 3.42, with no Max Trailering Package, 9100 lb. With Max Trailering Package, 11,000 lb. Both are well within what I need for my max travel trailer weight of 7200 lb.

Only issue is finding anything online that can decode the VIN in detail as to what packages and options were installed on this truck at time of build. Images show what looks to be factory installed Max Trailering Package: tow mirrors and intergrated electric brake controller. However the written specs mentions nothing about this package.

Are there any online VIN decoders that I can decifer the packages and options installed? Only ones I can find is to see if the vehicle has a clean history record and prior services done. Thanks.

On 1/18/2020 at 11:16 PM, David Jimenez said:

Newdude,

First thanks for the excellent details from the VIN. I looked everywhere online and couldn't get details enough to give me a tow rating, just other specs I already new offhand or didn't care about.

Was wondering if I can bother you once more to check on another VIN? This time for a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab. The specs sheets tell me this has an Rear Axle of 3.42 with a V8, EcoTec3, 5.3 L with Auto, 8-Spd Overdrive transmission. It has a tow package with intergrater electric brake controller, tow mirrors and hitch, however it's not listed in the spec features. VIN 3GTP1NEC7HG406134.

Again thanks, greatly appreciate everything.

This one?  https://www.pickuptrucks.com/trucks/gmc-sierra_1500-2017-3gtp1nec7hg406134

Not a max trailer but it has 3.42 gears.  Mirrors were added as the truck was built with the standard SLT power folding small mirrors.  

On 1/20/2020 at 9:55 AM, newdude said:

This one?  https://www.pickuptrucks.com/trucks/gmc-sierra_1500-2017-3gtp1nec7hg406134

Not a max trailer but it has 3.42 gears.  Mirrors were added as the truck was built with the standard SLT power folding small mirrors.  

Yes that's the one. That was my thought, that the tow mirrors and brake controller were added at build. Based on the engine, transmission and 3.42 gears, the 2017 GMC Trailering Guide is stating a 9100 lb towing capacity. Way above what I currently need to tow. We only tow the 7000 lb travel trailer maybe once or twice a year, and then there's the Boys Scout trailer for camping I tow about the same, that one maybe 5000 lb. I'm assuming I'm covered for towing capacity with this GMC Sierra 1500.

Thnak you.

1 hour ago, swathdiver said:

Download your owner's manual and look at what that says too based on your truck's configuration.

Will do, thanks.

* Just downloaded. Specified for 9300 lb for current engine, transmission, and axle ratio with no Max Tow Package.

Thanks.

Edited by David Jimenez
  • Like 1