In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Nalby

Added sunglass holder to headliner

I was missing the overhead console sunglass holder I had in previous trucks so I added one to my truck. 

The sunglass holder is from a 2002-2004 Nissan Altima that was painted to match the interior of my truck. A cardboard template was made for the cutout size needed to house the holder. The template was then taped to the headliner in the location preferred and traced with pencil. The headliner was cut using a utility knife, very easy to cut. A mounting bracket was fabricated out of 18 gauge sheet metal and painted. The holder was then pushed into the opening and the bracket attached with a couple of screws.

Overall I am pleased with the results. I may cut down the trim around the holder so it sits closer to the headliner but will try it out for awhile first.IMG_0926.thumb.jpg.4ce782f9ab4396046be43422eabe925e.jpgIMG_0930.thumb.jpg.ff6a715aea131d3a5b5e15092240cc0e.jpgIMG_0931.thumb.jpg.cb2e7bbc049ee355e651e2aaabbdf50a.jpgIMG_0935.thumb.jpg.7c40532dd91ef3a402bc9c9b0bd733ab.jpg628713791_IMG_0929-Copy.thumb.jpg.fea8fd0726ca3196704fa468de0a668b.jpgIMG_0928.thumb.jpg.36cda91703d45c16693d4f846fd867af.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good but I would have been nervous to do that. 

Awesome addition...hmmmm, gets me thinking bout getting a sunglass holder from the wreckers!!  Thanks 

Looks neat!

How do you pop out the trucks overhead console?

45 minutes ago, Grandpa1 said:

Looks neat!

How do you pop out the trucks overhead console?

There's two plastic pieces that cover 4 bolts (2 T10 and 2 T15). Then it's just pulling down on the console to pop out the metal retaining clips that hold it in place. Easy Peasy

2 hours ago, Darth Potatoes said:

There's two plastic pieces that cover 4 bolts (2 T10 and 2 T15). Then it's just pulling down on the console to pop out the metal retaining clips that hold it in place. Easy Peasy

Those two plastic pieces, would that be the two rings around the middle of the console?

I think I see a split in there.

If so, you just kind of pop them out?

Thanks!

Edited by Grandpa1
screwed up

3 minutes ago, Grandpa1 said:

Those two plastic pieces, would that be to two rings around the middle of the console?

I think I see a split in there.

If so, you just kind of pop them out?

Thanks!

Yes. They're the two L shaped pieces the are on the front of the console. I just used a small flat-head screwdriver and popped a side up then put my finger under and finished pulling them off. They don't take much force to remove.

I attached a picture indicating the pieces

Capture.PNG

Edited by Darth Potatoes
Added picture

Just now, Darth Potatoes said:

They're the two L shaped pieces the are on the front of the console. I just used a small flathead screwdriver and popped a side up then put my finger under and finished pulling them off. They don't take much force to remove.

All righty then!

As soon as it warms up a little I'm headed out to look at it!

Thanks!

Just now, Grandpa1 said:

All righty then!

As soon as it warms up a little I'm headed out to look at it!

Thanks!

No problem man, good luck. The scariest part for me was prying the console off. I was worried I was going to break it, but it's just the two metal clips that are holding it in place, you won't break them.

OK! I popped off the two l shaped pieces and found the two visible screws but where are the other two?

I shined a flashlight up in the two holes toward the front but didn't see any screws.

I also see what you mean about thinking it's gonna break! Thought I broke the first l shape piece when it popped off but realized it wasn't!

I need to find the other 2 screws.

I appreciate your help.

It's cold out there.

There should be screws in the deep holes in the front. I believe they are the T15 screw heads.

16 hours ago, Nalby said:

There should be screws in the deep holes in the front. I believe they are the T15 screw heads.

Thanks Man!

I will stick a T15 bit up there and get it out.

I looked up in the deep hole but couldn't see anything. Must be pretty far up there.

how did you figure out the paint match for your interior?

was the bracket used to sandwich the headliner between the bracket and sunglass holder?

Nice!

This is a perfect example of how easy it would have been to have this come from the factory this way.  GM just doesn't care it seems.

• Like 1

Paint was just a stock spray can, it is not a perfect match but close enough. Yes, the bracket pinches the headliner against the sunglass holder to keep it in position.