Al

Alan Baxter

Question

7 answers to this question

I used the scanner and determine which bank and sensor it was. Changed it, 3 months later it came back. I thought I had a bad sensor, changed it again. 3 days later it came back in. Left alone, it went out again. I left a alone, it came back on. Right now the check engine light is off, and it has one code in the scanner, P0135. This is not a pending code, this is an actual code and no check engine light?

Well, there are 3 classes of engine codes (roughly):

-more serious problems, where damage to the engine/emissions system can/is happening right now: CEL flashes

-more general emissions problem: CEL is turned on

-everything else: CEL remains off

And how soon the CEL goes off after fixing the problem depends on the specific problem.  Some things run the test right away (like, say, the MAF sensor), so once it's fixed, the light will go off right away, other codes need a certain number of key cycles (where you start/stop the engine) without a problem for that system for the light to go off, and others need a test to complete that only happens under certain driving conditions, so it can take much longer to turn off.

4 hours ago, Alan Baxter said:

I used the scanner and determine which bank and sensor it was. Changed it, 3 months later it came back. I thought I had a bad sensor, changed it again. 3 days later it came back in. Left alone, it went out again. I left a alone, it came back on. Right now the check engine light is off, and it has one code in the scanner, P0135. This is not a pending code, this is an actual code and no check engine light?

Doing a simple google search on that error code gave this information on possible causes...

• Faulty Pre-Catalyst oxygen sensor
  • Faulty wiring/connections
  • Short or open ground in the wiring
  • Blown Fuse
  • Engine coolant temperature sensor is not operating correctly
  • Faulty Power Control Module

Did you happen to check these things?  A bad ground can give a voltage high error.  Bad grounds are notorious for being intermittent.