2016 MyLink Wifi, Store, & Update Questions

I apologize if this is been covered in other threads, but I've been searching on and off a few days now and can't find answers.

I just bought a 2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ (Upgraded from a 2002 Silverado LT).   I'm loving it, I'm just trying to figure out some of this MyLink System.

The Android Auto didn't work, so I took it to a dealership and got an update from a service bulletin I found in another thread, that works now.  I just referenced this Service Bulletin #16-NA-042, Which I found in this thread: 2016 Silverado - No Android Auto

Now I'm trying to figure out how to connect it to a wifi connection.  I have WIFI in the truck, (through an Onstar 1 mo trial) But I can't figure out how to connect the system to another WIFI source like my home or tethered through my phone.  There is no Wifi Settings button under system like i've seen in other threads and videos.  I also have no "Store" available for other apps.  My friend's trucks (Which are all 2017 and newer) seem to automatically just connect to the internet through their phones.  

My question is, is it because my truck is a 2016, that I don't have a wifi settings to connect to other sources, and that I dont have a store for apps? Or is it because there is some other update that I need from a dealership? 

I also read about OTA updates, and it seems my truck is likely not getting that, is that also because of the Model year or do I need newer firmware?

Any guidance is appreciated.

I have a 2016 and had to have the dealer do the update when I bought it to be able to use Android Auto. On mine, I dont believe I have ever gotten any OTA's as I have never seen any notifications on the screen about one.

And as far as the wifi, it seems a bit touchy. I have the wifi on it as well as the hotspot enabled. I only did it because it is $20 a month for unlimited and allows my son to use it on his Amazon fire pad on trips. Sometimes I am able to get Pandora on the mylink to work but not always. (Before I had the wifi package, I could never get Pandora to work on mylink at all.) It usually involves having my phone linked via bluetooth or plugged in with the usb cable. Since I also have Pandora as one of my music apps on my phone and accessible by Android Auto, it really hasnt been much of a problem.

And on mine IIRC, I dont even have an app to store or remember seeing anything to use it so I dont know how I would go about adding any other app anyway. I am limited to what's on there now.

I hope this helps.

6 hours ago, jdbrumsey said:

I apologize if this is been covered in other threads, but I've been searching on and off a few days now and can't find answers.

I just bought a 2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ (Upgraded from a 2002 Silverado LT).   I'm loving it, I'm just trying to figure out some of this MyLink System.

The Android Auto didn't work, so I took it to a dealership and got an update from a service bulletin I found in another thread, that works now.  I just referenced this Service Bulletin #16-NA-042, Which I found in this thread: 2016 Silverado - No Android Auto

Now I'm trying to figure out how to connect it to a wifi connection.  I have WIFI in the truck, (through an Onstar 1 mo trial) But I can't figure out how to connect the system to another WIFI source like my home or tethered through my phone.  There is no Wifi Settings button under system like i've seen in other threads and videos.  I also have no "Store" available for other apps.  My friend's trucks (Which are all 2017 and newer) seem to automatically just connect to the internet through their phones.  

My question is, is it because my truck is a 2016, that I don't have a wifi settings to connect to other sources, and that I dont have a store for apps? Or is it because there is some other update that I need from a dealership? 

I also read about OTA updates, and it seems my truck is likely not getting that, is that also because of the Model year or do I need newer firmware?

Any guidance is appreciated.

Over the air updates is a no go due to the model year.  That has started within the past 2-3 model years.

A couple of questions.

- Does your truck have factory navigation in it?  

- If you look in your glovebox, there is a silver label with a bunch of alphanumeric codes printed on it, RPO codes.  On that list, can you check if you have any of the following:  I05, I06 and also CPO.  

On the WiFi.  Owners manual shows the following if its equipped with it:

OnStar Wi-Fi® Hotspot (If Equipped)

The vehicle may have a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot that provides access to the Internet and web content at 4G LTE speed. Up to seven mobile devices can be connected. A data plan is required. Use the in-vehicle controls only when it is safe to do so.

To retrieve Wi-Fi hotspot information, press =, wait for the prompt, then say “Wi-Fi settings.” On some vehicles, touch Wi-Fi Settings on the screen.

The Wi-Fi settings will display the Wi-Fi hotspot name (SSID), password, and on some vehicles, the connection type (no Internet connection, 3G, 4G, 4G LTE), and signal quality (poor, good, excellent).

To change the SSID or password, press Q or call 1-888-4ONSTAR to connect with an Advisor.