2014 6.2 bit the dust

Well, she’s down for the count. BIGTIME.  On my way into the office yesterday she started a little miss, then bogged, tons of lights, then dead. All in a few seconds time, didn’t even have enough time to pull over in a good spot. Motor locked, wouldn’t turn. Got home, pulled the passenger head off to find this:

EEEDADD3-F754-4A66-AD47-2E959FF6DDC0.jpeg

• Sad 2

Flex tape can't fix that... Seriously though I can't wait for mine to get out of extended warranty so I can dig in and upgrade the parts. Mines got 114,000 on it and with these posts it feels like a ticking time bomb. How many miles on yours? Stock? AFM still active? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MN6.2 said:

Flex tape can't fix that... Seriously though I can't wait for mine to get out of extended warranty so I can dig in and upgrade the parts. Mines got 114,000 on it and with these posts it feels like a ticking time bomb. How many miles on yours? Stock? AFM still active? 

Yes, what was the history?

Also thinking this is a ticking time bomb?  I have seen 1qty handful of these on the forums?  Really, I bet the Ecotec3 lineup has cost GM probably insignificantly due to damage like this....this is absolutely awful and something rarely seen in average LD truck use in sub 200k mile engines.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MN6.2 said:

114k :eek: with only a mild tune for transmission exorcism.  No change to engine parameters.   AFM still active.  

4 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Yes, what was the history?

Also thinking this is a ticking time bomb?  I have seen 1qty handful of these on the forums?  Really, I bet the Ecotec3 lineup has cost GM probably insignificantly due to damage like this....this is absolutely awful and something rarely seen in average LD truck use in sub 200k mile engines.

Ran like a top till she blew. Per previous post, only a transmission shift tune. That’s it.  Broken exhaust spring and then bye bye engine.  

Looking at these engines and these posts, if someone has one of these with higher miles (over 130k or so) and they like the truck, they should seriously consider doing a rebuild with DOD delete and some upgrades parts. I think the engine has potential to be really solid with some work. It wouldn't be cheap but still cheaper than a new truck. I really like mine and haven't had any of these issues but the more I read this, the more I wanna just get the heads, lifters rockers, pushrods, valve springs, cam, DOD delete, etc done and drive it for another 100,000 (and take the power upgrade as a bonus). For now if this happens to me, my warranty will cover it but it would be annoying. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MN6.2 said:

Looking at these engines and these posts, if someone has one of these with higher miles (over 130k or so) and they like the truck, they should seriously consider doing a rebuild with DOD delete and some upgrades parts. I think the engine has potential to be really solid with some work. It wouldn't be cheap but still cheaper than a new truck. I really like mine and haven't had any of these issues but the more I read this, the more I wanna just get the heads, lifters rockers, pushrods, valve springs, cam, DOD delete, etc done and drive it for another 100,000 (and take the power upgrade as a bonus). For now if this happens to me, my warranty will cover it but it would be annoying. 

Why DOD delete? Is there any proof it is contributing to this type of engine failure? 

1 minute ago, Tigerguy73 said:

Why DOD delete? Is there any proof it is contributing to this type of engine failure? 

Not to start an argue, but I don’t see DOD as a contributor to this issue.  This was sketchy springs, plain as day.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, bdbake01 said:

Not to start an argue, but I don’t see DOD as a contributor to this issue.  This was sketchy springs, plain as day.  

Agreed. I don't understand why so many people hate the DOD/AFM. I almost never even notice it doing its thing. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, MN6.2 said:

So if I have 120k and DoD I am safe? What if I push it to 135k and have DoD will my motor fail in spectacular fashion? Why wouldn't they just upgrade if it fails (which it most likely won't)?

30 minutes ago, Tigerguy73 said:

There isn't, just another DoD hater because they hear a few other random people having an issue... They see 15 posts about a failure on forum of a truck that has built millions of these and want to make a mountain out of a mole hill on a less than a tenth of a percent failure rate?

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, bdbake01 said:

Yup...Sucks 1qty spring!  Sorry man.............