First off, I don't post much here - mostly on CorvetteFor**….. But wanted to share something that RANGE hasn't told us about for the 2019-2020 trucks with DFM.

I had a 2016 Sierra 5.3 AFM that I bought a range device to keep it in 8 cylinder mode because of the MBRP exhaust. Yes. MBRP... I loved it. Sounded great and was very easy to install - and CHEAP! The range device worked great. I would average 20.5-21mpg over the summertime and 18.5-19mpg in the winter (lovely Michigan winters). Had the truck for over 50,000 miles before I traded it in for my 2019.

Fast forward to my new 2019 Sierra 5.3 DFM. I purchased a new MBRP, as I gave my old exhaust to my dad for his truck (and yes my 2016 exhaust fit on a 2000 Sierra!). I was told that the Range from my 2016 would not work on my 2019 truck, so I didn't install it at first. But, read that RANGE did have a device for the start/stop feature. So I figured I would give it a try.... and it worked... No start/ stop and only 8 cylinder mode.

I know have 8,xxx miles on my 2019 truck. Have towed with it, daily drove it, everything... Range works. But...

I notice that when the truck is cold, or the trans temp isn't over 100 *f, the DFM is still active. Once over 100*F, the truck stays in 8 cyl mode all the time - never switching to 4cyl or even the lovely 2 cyl mode. Again, but...

I was noticing my fuel economy wasn't great. Only 17.5 (here in winter of Michigan). I did average 20.5mpg on a 500 mile round trip in October (50-60* temps) But it still wasn't as good as my 2016 mpg's.

So the last week I have pulled the range out - and now I hear the lovely 4 and 2 cyl mode. Especially noticeable with the MBRP exhaust. At 50mph it isn't bad helicopter noise but its still there. At 75mph, the truck will not go into DFM, at least with cruise control active, for what ever reason. My MPG's are back, and back by a lot. I'm now seeing 19-19.5mpg (still winter) compared to the 17-17.5mpg with the range 8cylinder mode.  

So moral of the story - a range device from a 2016 truck works on a 2019 with DFM. Again, not initially at cold, but will after a short 5 min drive.

Also a video of my 2019 with the MBRP is on youtube - have no idea how to post it here. But look up LS1wolf 2019 Sierra MBRP.

-Mark

Nevermind on my previous post, Range claims their product does not affect the warranty since nothing is reprogrammed. 

I called them and they said the device for the 2019-2020's is coming out in 3-4 months.  

Not surprised by the mpg, removing a feature specifically designed to increase mpg will show a difference. How much is up to the user and their driving habits/location. Your old truck would have probably had another mpg or so in it with the range device removed. I am not big on that device unless it if for exhaust as I have been in buddies trucks and know the sound when in 4 cylinder mode (god only knows what 2 cylinder mode sounds like). But the rest of the time it is imperceptible to notice a change between the modes with the factory exhaust and adding it doesn't save any wear on the engine and make it last any longer and it takes a small hit in mpg. 

That is good to know for those that are wanting the setup, did range specify the differences or changes between the current one you have and the new one they are coming out with?

Tyler

If this is accurate I would be interested to know why Range would not be selling this already as DFM compatible? When you talk to range they say the two are different but since GM gives no indication on the DFM trucks for how many cylinders we are running there is not a fool proof way to tell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DuRsT said:

Nevermind on my previous post, Range claims their product does not affect the warranty since nothing is reprogrammed. 

I called them and they said the device for the 2019-2020's is coming out in 3-4 months.  

Range has been saying it's right around the corner for over a year now...

• Like 1

I have the most up to date version of Range (from previous company) that defeats DFM about 90% of the time as ls1wolf stated (also kills the auto stop/start).

I think part of the delay is that the old Range stuff was produced by a small company based out of Colorado. The were sold or bought out by the same company that owns Edge based in Utah. I did beta testing for Edge a few years ago and would not hold my breath that there will be any DFM defeat anytime soon.

Jay

10 hours ago, DuRsT said:

Quick question:

In another truck I had in the past, 2013 Ram, you could disable AFM by putting the truck into tow mode....I haven't tried it on my new on yet, do ours do the same? 

I haven't tried tow mode but if you put it in performance mode (or whatever the little green flag mode is called) it will limit it from entering DFM. It doesn't entirely eliminate it but restricts it to when you've been cruising for a long period

57 minutes ago, Alex Kemple said:

I haven't tried tow mode but if you put it in performance mode (or whatever the little green flag mode is called) it will limit it from entering DFM. It doesn't entirely eliminate it but restricts it to when you've been cruising for a long period

Much appreciated sir, I usually put it in Normal mode.  The 6.2 puts out enough torque that having it in sport can make for a jerky driving experience when shifting into second. 

12 minutes ago, DuRsT said:

Much appreciated sir, I usually put it in Normal mode.  The 6.2 puts out enough torque that having it in sport can make for a jerky driving experience when shifting into second. 

Let alone the fact that performance mode shoots the RPMs up to the 2000+ range, even at idle. It absolutely destroys gas mileage, honestly turns it into a gallons-per-mile truck lol. Not worth it to just kill DFM in my opinion