2020 Traverse questions PLEASE

I have a 2014 Sierra 5.3 A/T (which I STILL love) and post on here regarding issues and such, but I had a question about the 2020 Traverse because my wife desperately wants one. I tried talking her into a Kia Telluride (more for the money, much much better/longer warranty, company seems to actually admit to and fix their issues, etc) but she wont have it, the Traverse it is, 100% mind set. And this is coming from me, a diehard entire life chevy/gmc family where we have NEVER had a foreign vehicle. I am tired of GM honestly, not because they have had issues, all manufacturers do, but because they are major internal engine or trans issues for which they deny, deny, deny, problems shared by thousands of people (like AC condenser), they add exceptions to warranty (like fuel injectors in the DI sierras), decrease their new warranty lengths, send out notices for problems long after they knew about the issue and only when lawsuits force them to do so (like the excessive oil consumption in my wifes 2011 Equinox that isnt running (at only 67K) long after the timeframe for reimbursement has expired and they know it so then I get the lawsuit letter in the mail), etc... I can go on and on... but she is dead set on the newer Traverse. So here I am... I would like someone to tell me about owning a 2020 Traverse from the standpoint of problems and preventing problems.

FOR EXAMPLE, if I could go back in time when I bought my 2014 Sierra new, I would have liked someone to tell me the following: many have vibration/shake issue, several AC condensers are leaking, its a DI engine so prone to carbon deposits on back side of valves, use higher grade fuel like 91 or 93 than recommended, change the oil more frequently than recommended, +/- catch can, it has V4 / AFM mode but dont ever use it, tune it out or run in M5, use a bottle of Chevron Techron injector cleaner every now and then, etc... etc... 

I would LOVE for someone to say something like that for Traverse issues without me having to dig through hundreds of pages to figure out what issue(s) I should anticipate. For instance, I have heard about the 9 speed trans in the 2018 people having problems, needing flushes early, replacements, new torque converters, etc... So anyone have any insight to 2019/2020 Traverse problems or preventable maintenance? Anyone know if the 2018 Traverse trans/torque converter (I believe there is a TSB regarding them) underwent any changes in the 2020 models? Supposedly it had something to do with chevy not using the proper trans fluid for the new 9 speed? I thank you for your time!!!! Take care, Chris

I recently bought a 2019 Acadia, which is a very similar vehicle. The tranny is going in for 2-3 shift RPM flare. Less than 4000 miles on it.

They are pulling the tranny Wednesday they say. Am I happy about this? Obviously not. But they are at least acting.

Otherwise the vehicle is very nicely made. So far past the GM of the 2000's, by miles. Good ride, plenty of power, nice interior, all good.

A friend has a Kia Sportage, the interior on that reminds me of my '04 Z06, cheap junk. But I would imagine the Telluride is much better appointed?

The only other Kia experience I have had is my in-laws Sedona (purchased new). Let's just say neither they or I would ever recommend a Kia Sedona...

More for the money doesn't always work. Years ago my sister was buying her first car. I tried to convince her to buy a Honda with what she wanted. She bought a new Renault Fuego. Why? More for the money. Good choice? No, for many reasons.

Not trying to convince you that your wife is right, but more for the money is not the way to go IME.

1 hour ago, FishinDVM said:

I have a 2014 Sierra 5.3 A/T (which I STILL love) and post on here regarding issues and such, but I had a question about the 2020 Traverse because my wife desperately wants one. I tried talking her into a Kia Telluride (more for the money, much much better/longer warranty, company seems to actually admit to and fix their issues, etc) but she wont have it, the Traverse it is, 100% mind set. And this is coming from me, a diehard entire life chevy/gmc family where we have NEVER had a foreign vehicle. I am tired of GM honestly, not because they have had issues, all manufacturers do, but because they are major internal engine or trans issues for which they deny, deny, deny, problems shared by thousands of people (like AC condenser), they add exceptions to warranty (like fuel injectors in the DI sierras), decrease their new warranty lengths, send out notices for problems long after they knew about the issue and only when lawsuits force them to do so (like the excessive oil consumption in my wifes 2011 Equinox that isnt running (at only 67K) long after the timeframe for reimbursement has expired and they know it so then I get the lawsuit letter in the mail), etc... I can go on and on... but she is dead set on the newer Traverse. So here I am... I would like someone to tell me about owning a 2020 Traverse from the standpoint of problems and preventing problems.

FOR EXAMPLE, if I could go back in time when I bought my 2014 Sierra new, I would have liked someone to tell me the following: many have vibration/shake issue, several AC condensers are leaking, its a DI engine so prone to carbon deposits on back side of valves, use higher grade fuel like 91 or 93 than recommended, change the oil more frequently than recommended, +/- catch can, it has V4 / AFM mode but dont ever use it, tune it out or run in M5, use a bottle of Chevron Techron injector cleaner every now and then, etc... etc... 

I would LOVE for someone to say something like that for Traverse issues without me having to dig through hundreds of pages to figure out what issue(s) I should anticipate. For instance, I have heard about the 9 speed trans in the 2018 people having problems, needing flushes early, replacements, new torque converters, etc... So anyone have any insight to 2019/2020 Traverse problems or preventable maintenance? Anyone know if the 2018 Traverse trans/torque converter (I believe there is a TSB regarding them) underwent any changes in the 2020 models? Supposedly it had something to do with chevy not using the proper trans fluid for the new 9 speed? I thank you for your time!!!! Take care, Chris

Lots of misinformation in this post. What are these "major" internal engine issues you speak of? A cracked AC line isn't that and they have a redesigned part to correct it. I have seen a few cases of lifter failures, not enough to be concerned. No issues with the AFM, it works flawlessly and doesn't save wear by tuning it out. A catch can isn't needed, no significant valve cloaking issues as these engines were designed from the get go with DI unlike the old ones people reference that had issues (looking at you Audi and VW). There is no reason to run 93 in these truck (though the 6.2 recommends it). As with any vehicle a cleaner once a year is recommended, I have always done that even before DI. All in all the issues you listed (shaking, AC line, etc) are very few and far between in the 0.05% range on millions of trucks built. Sounds like you are one of the few to have a bad apple, happens to every manufacturer... You can't use that as a basis for a completely different type of vehicle you are looking at. Try reading less in to the issues in the forums, they really don't represent properly the scope of the issues and just get blown out of proportion. 

About the Traverse I have a buddy with a 2019 traverse, no issues so far and they have somewhere in the 20k mile range and are very happy with it with no warranty trips to the dealer. Only other experience is two other friends had the previous generation (one to 120k and one around 60k), neither had any major issues. One downsized and the other it was just time for something else. 

Good luck to you, I would keep doing research. The Traverse has above average reliability and a tried and true engine. There is a bunch more room in the Traverse than the Telluride (though I am a fan of Hyundai and Kia) but they others have a nicer interior from what I hear/read. It will be a crap shoot in terms of reliability, cars are getting more and more complicated which leaves the door open to more issue caused by supporting infrastructure (IE mechanically they are very reliable these days but sensor readings are what cause issues it seems). I would imagine the Traverse will treat you well.

Funny though about people getting stuck in their ways of what they want. My buddy with the Traverse was the first one in the group to not get an explorer. All the women wanted explorers and all had black/grey ones without shopping around. I even recommended the Telluride since I was impressed along with of course the minivan since they had multiple kids and pets. They all were set on the explorer. One did trade for an Odyssey (they are much happier now).  

Have you checked out one of specific forums?

https://www.traverseforum.com/forums/

https://www.acadiaforum.net/

https://www.enclaveforum.net/forums/

Tyler

Edited by amxguy1970

Look... I am buying the Traverse... AND... AND... I absolutely LOVE my Sierra. But I am NOT "one of the few"... and I dont think its misinformation. Lots of people really should stop defending GM, as in customer service and corp GM. Hop on over to the 2014-2018 GM Sierra forum and start a topic asking everyone if they should shut off the ability to go into V4 mode, or not?. Go ahead. Well over 50% of every response will tell you to do so. I'm not the only crazy one. And im not a catchcan person eventhough many are. Over 800 PAGES on shake/vibration... over 36 PAGES on ac condenser leaks with pics from everyone at the SAME EXACT weld joint, which is OK, except GM wont acknowledge or help anyone financially with it... type in the search bar "p050d" and keep a running tally yourself of number of people you can count having fuel injectors go at UNDER 50k miles. I would say these fuel injectors are part of the engine wouldnt you? and are a very expensive fix. A dealership will charge you 2K and its specifically NOT covered under powertrain. And sure you dont HAVE TO use high end fuel, but that doesnt stop GM from telling people they should have been doing so when their injectors go. Also of interest, just how many people had to wait for weeks and weeks to get fuel injectors and AC condensers because they were on national backorder... gee... wonder why? And ill attach a picture (below) for all the 2011, 2012, 2013 Equinox and Terrain people who consider excessive oil consumption, piston rings, broken timing chains, etc... to be a MAJOR engine issue. Here is a pic of my letter just got in the mail 2 weeks ago (different vehicle, an equinox), after a lawsuit, like I said earlier (not a lie), forced them to do it.... but I do thank you for all the Traverse info. All im saying is, this isnt the GM of 1980s THAT WOULD TAKE CARE OF THEIR MISTAKES to the fullest of the brand reputation. 

20200206_143156.jpg

• Like 1

I forgot, the AC condenser is another expensive repair by the way. It is a wide spread, RAMPANT problem... pages upon pages upon pages of people with leaks at the SAME EXACT weld. Top right drivers side to be exact. Dealerships want over 1K to fix this and they do NOT help you financially. Just another example. I hope the 2020 Traverse got "all the kinks out" however. The only thing ive read about was 9 speed transmission people and it didnt seem to be as rampant and widespread at my condenser, vibration, injector examples... 

4 hours ago, grantv said:

I recently bought a 2019 Acadia, which is a very similar vehicle. The tranny is going in for 2-3 shift RPM flare. Less than 4000 miles on it.

They are pulling the tranny Wednesday they say. Am I happy about this? Obviously not. But they are at least acting.

Otherwise the vehicle is very nicely made. So far past the GM of the 2000's, by miles. Good ride, plenty of power, nice interior, all good.

A friend has a Kia Sportage, the interior on that reminds me of my '04 Z06, cheap junk. But I would imagine the Telluride is much better appointed?

The only other Kia experience I have had is my in-laws Sedona (purchased new). Let's just say neither they or I would ever recommend a Kia Sedona...

More for the money doesn't always work. Years ago my sister was buying her first car. I tried to convince her to buy a Honda with what she wanted. She bought a new Renault Fuego. Why? More for the money. Good choice? No, for many reasons.

Not trying to convince you that your wife is right, but more for the money is not the way to go IME.

Type in Telluride SX on google image search. They made them look nice, if you debadged it would look almost like a range rover front, and you can get all the bells and whistles standard that cost extra on the Traverse. The looks are nice, it can seat 8 eventhough its overall about 8" shorter than a Traverse, but the real winner is warranty. They come with a 5yr 60K basic, 10yr 100K powertrain. You can get the highest most luxurious model, the SX with Prestige package and AWD for 46K. It would be a no brainer for me, but my wife and her "school mom warriors" would never entertain the idea. Again, this is coming from an all Chevy/GMC family for decades, and 5 years ago if someone even mentioned a foreign car comp to me I would have just laughed.

• Like 1

I've seen plenty Tellurides about town. I will have to entirely disagree on comparing the front end to a Range Rover. Range Rover and Jag make the nicest looking SUV's on the planet to my eyes. I see no similarity, sorry.

Either way, I was talking about interior build quality, and ownership reliability only. 

Sounds like your wife has her mind made anyway. My wife is not so decisive, her Rogue was definitely partly my choice for her.

Let me say we have had a 2012 a 2015 and now a 2019 Traverse and we have had 0 issues with any of them my wife loves them. But I will say this if she wants a Traverse then get her a Traverse no question. If you get her anything else and there is the smallest issues with it you will NEVER live it down trust me you will NOT be a happy man.

• 3 weeks later...

2018 AWD Traverse Premier Redline  Mfg date 7/17 serial #118 first production run. A beautiful machine over 20K and only one problem in early pro '18s related to a shift to park failure, TSB....Shifter replaced and no problems thereafter. Transmission is bulletproof, but so many innovations that half the owners think they have problems and clueless dealers more than happy to accommodate.

Here's my .02 on the engine and transmission.......smooth as silk, 0-60 in less than 6.5 sec and gets 30 mpg+ on highway with driver +1. You don't get 30 mpg on a 3.6l V6 without some quirks related to a drastic increase in efficiency over the gen1s. New torque convertor has a narrower profile and designed for hydraulic lockup, tranny uses a one way Sprague clutch for use in 1st and second for  positive lockup and tranny is designed to automatically drop one gear upon deceleration to improve braking. In stop and go traffic  so if you are not gentle on the accelerator you can get a bucking action  (exactly like a positive gear locking in a manual transmission. Also along with the adaptive controls, seems the programming has a built in break-in cycle for the clutch facings and more solid shift points result in 2-3K miles. This accounts for many low gear stuttering complaints and dealers will automatically change fluid and reset the tranny CPU, but all that really does is reset the clutch break-in period which will seem smoother even if jerking the pedal.....no idea how this may affect longevity of the clutches.

I'm retired and have fun test driving cars in my spare time, sucking up free coffee (and donuts if available in service depts) and have driven every model of new car that comes out at dealers in a 50 mile radius. I did not choose a gen2 '18 Traverse by accident.......had a cherry gen1 '15  with no intentions of trading. Test rode the only Redline with 4 miles in the quad State area and after returning parked across two spaces and put the keyfob in my pocket and told the salesman , nobody touches that until I first work over the sales manager to buy it. Took 10 years for GM to update the Traverse and the improvements and refinements are clearly evident. Won't be disappointed with a '20.