rattle behind dash

blckblt

Brand new truck has developed a "rattle" in past few days.  Sort of sounds like a golf ball rolling around in the glove box or storage bin.  More so on the passenger side and seems to come from behind the dash/glove box area.  I don't have anything in the door storage on the storage around the center console.  I have emptied both glove boxes.  Seat belts are not causing this.

Last Friday we had a lot of sleet and freezing rain so I had a lot of ice build up on the truck (wiper area, mirror, off road running boards, wheel wells etc).  I got all of those removed at the car wash last night.  The noise still persists.  

I only get the noise at low speed and typically turning or accelerating/braking.  No noise when driving over bumps.  The noise started after the ice/sleet/freezing rain last friday....

I haven't had time to get under the truck and see if there is any lingering ice that could be causing this.  Any particular area to look at where ice could be hiding?

Other thoughts?

On a side note my best 25 mile MPG is 20.2.  Being a 6.2 and TB I am very happy (that 25 had some auto 4x4 and full 4x4 too) as it was a mix of some city (20%) and 80% country roads 45-55 mph.

Noises and rattles can be deceiving and tricky.  Sounds bounce around and it may sound like it's coming from somewhere it's not.  The next thing I'd check is the sun visor to be sure it's latched in.  If it's not secured, the rod hits the clip and it will have that golf ball type rattle with the visor bouncing around.

17 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

The next thing I'd check is the sun visor to be sure it's latched in.  If it's not secured, the rod hits the clip and it will have that golf ball type rattle with the visor bouncing around.

I had this exact thing happen on my 14 a few years back, was about to take it back to dealer and complain?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Mine is starting to rattle behind dash as well. It’s going to dealership on Wednesday.  They are also looking at steering column making noise at lower speeds. 
The rattle is very annoying. It sounds like it’s up in the area where the sunglasses holder is. 

29 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

Mine is starting to rattle behind dash as well. It’s going to dealership on Wednesday.  They are also looking at steering column making noise at lower speeds. 
The rattle is very annoying. It sounds like it’s up in the area where the sunglasses holder is. 

That might be the cause, not sure how different my 14 is but i had a rattle with the plastic clip that is inside the sun glass door.

• 2 years later...

Mine sounded like a marble was inside the dash and somehow was rolling on every turn, bump in the road, braking motion and for the life ome I couldn't find it.   Until today.

The noise does indeed sound like it's in the dash but it turned out to be the rearview mirror plastic cover that had come loose but not fallen.   Tapping on it a few times I replicated the noise.

A quick youtube search for how to R&R it the noise is gone