Input - HD front springs and Z71 Pkg.

spent the entire afternoon at the dealership trying to get the truck aligned.  they are telling me something is wrong with my truck and they can't get it aligned, possibly the frame is out of spec. they claim they tried two different alignment racks.   i just can't believe this.  they are calling GM and I just opened a case number.

Did they tell the issue they were having?  If the thrust angle is out, there is no adjustment on that and would require a leaf spring swap.

The other issue I have seen is with the diesel trucks the front axle is so heavy you have to be very careful to center the front tires on the bearing plates other the bearing plates will be loaded when they release the steering wheel lock and the steering will kick causing the toe to be out.  This will cause the steering wheel to be off.

#iworkforGM 

1 hour ago, davester said:

Where exactly are "bearing plates" on the front end of GM pickups, for the front wheels to be centered on?

Bearing plates I think he is referring to the alignment rack.  The front wheels sit on plates that rotate so you can caster sweep the front end properly.  

5 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

Did they tell the issue they were having?  If the thrust angle is out, there is no adjustment on that and would require a leaf spring swap.

The other issue I have seen is with the diesel trucks the front axle is so heavy you have to be very careful to center the front tires on the bearing plates other the bearing plates will be loaded when they release the steering wheel lock and the steering will kick causing the toe to be out.  This will cause the steering wheel to be off.

#iworkforGM 

the issue is the truck keeps pulling to the right.  i have not asked them about the thrust angle but will mention it along with the bearing plates, thanks for the suggestions.  i have asked them about measuring the frame and checking it against spec and they are getting back to me.

they spent all day working on it and spoke with GM.  they told me they aligned the truck so it would have a hard pull to the left.  when they tested it, it still pulled to right.  GM has instructed them to replace the steering box.

13 hours ago, MesaRat said:

the issue is the truck keeps pulling to the right.  i have not asked them about the thrust angle but will mention it along with the bearing plates, thanks for the suggestions.  i have asked them about measuring the frame and checking it against spec and they are getting back to me.

they spent all day working on it and spoke with GM.  they told me they aligned the truck so it would have a hard pull to the left.  when they tested it, it still pulled to right.  GM has instructed them to replace the steering box.

Steering gear replacement may fix it as well.  

#iworkforGM 

On 4/11/2020 at 7:38 AM, MTU Alum said:

Steering gear replacement may fix it as well.  

#iworkforGM 

steering gear seemed to take care of the problem/pull.  

however, after i left noticed there was a bit more play in the wheel (on center).  i looked for the adjust screw but can't seem to find one.  was hoping to give it just a fractional turn.

On 4/18/2020 at 7:16 AM, MesaRat said:

however, after i left noticed there was a bit more play in the wheel (on center).  i looked for the adjust screw but can't seem to find one.  was hoping to give it just a fractional turn.

Dealership adjusted steering box and it is now good - no pull and no play.