slow speed suspension clunking

38 minutes ago, brisk00 said:

I went to tackle this exact project this afternoon but the jack I have (non-gm) couldn't get the tire completely off the ground.  I tried to wedge the springs with a flat head per instructions and they would not budge.  I am assuming I need the tire completely off the ground.  That being said I'll be trying the GM supplied jack tomorrow as I ran out of time today.  So I have a question for you...

Per the Owners Manual it says to use the GM Jack on the axle between the differential and the shock.  Is this what you did?  

No!  I put a floor jack on the frame near the rear door and jacked up one side of the truck until most of the weight was off one rear wheel. This mostly unloads the leaf springs and allows the flat head screwdriver technique. Full disclosure, there is still quite a bit of force between the springs. I used a big screwdriver (+/- 2 foot), and had to spit on the rubber (hehe) to slide it in between the springs.

I don't see how jacking on the axle between the differential and the shock would unload the spring.

18 hours ago, poppy510 said:

No!  I put a floor jack on the frame near the rear door and jacked up one side of the truck until most of the weight was off one rear wheel. This mostly unloads the leaf springs and allows the flat head screwdriver technique. Full disclosure, there is still quite a bit of force between the springs. I used a big screwdriver (+/- 2 foot), and had to spit on the rubber (hehe) to slide it in between the springs.

I don't see how jacking on the axle between the differential and the shock would unload the spring.

That's what I was afraid of.  I even doubt that the provided jack would be able to lift the tire off the ground from the frame location you mention.  I'll have to wait.

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, TimboC said:

This exact same thing happened to my 2019 silverado all star,  they changed U joints then eventually changed leaf springs,   fixed the problem for 3 months,  now chunks worse than originally

See my post from April 11th. $40 and 15 minutes and you will have this problem SOLVED!

• 2 months later...

Same here (2019 3500 SRW).  Braked a bit harder than normal as a light changed quickly. It Sounded and felt like I had a loose keg rolling into the front of the bed/bulkhead.  I looked int eh mirror to see if someone bumped me.  I have bags and prior to this I was running them pretty high due to a heavy trailer (10k triple axle).  However, I did not have the trailer hooked up at the time and bag pressure was lowered.  I assume the springs were bound a bit from the tow and let loose.  Only 32k on the clock.  Pretty disconcerting.

On 9/21/2022 at 6:51 PM, deminimis said:

Same here (2019 3500 SRW).  Braked a bit harder than normal as a light changed quickly. It Sounded and felt like I had a loose keg rolling into the front of the bed/bulkhead.  I looked int eh mirror to see if someone bumped me.  I have bags and prior to this I was running them pretty high due to a heavy trailer (10k triple axle).  However, I did not have the trailer hooked up at the time and bag pressure was lowered.  I assume the springs were bound a bit from the tow and let loose.  Only 32k on the clock.  Pretty disconcerting.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, deminimis.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2019 3500 SRW. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: deminimis/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 1 month later...

2022 3500hd,  dealer attempt to solve (more BS then anything) according to tech bulletin (so they claim)returned in oct, new spring packs ordered and came in 7 days later, going to be installed next week

pics are after sept visit

i have had several trucks with leaf springs since 1972 and never had this type of issue

i will add the GM customer service is attempting to help resolve it

spring2.jpg

spring1.jpg

• 2 months later...

I just bought a brand new 2023 LTZ  Z71 Duramax LZ0.  $65,000 truck and the clunking is driving me absolutely insane! Mine happens primarily when I’m entering a driveway, turning in and approaching or coming out of an incline. Sometimes it sounds like I’m getting clunking from the front and the rear. It just spent an entire week at the dealership, no loaner car, they said they used audio mics, and that it was coming from where the driveshaft enters the rear end.  I can’t stand this, and might be trading it.  Please keep this thread alive if anyone comes up with anything. I would love to fix it myself, if I could…

On 1/17/2023 at 9:47 AM, David Cheney Photography said:

I just bought a brand new 2023 LTZ  Z71 Duramax LZ0.  $65,000 truck and the clunking is driving me absolutely insane! Mine happens primarily when I’m entering a driveway, turning in and approaching or coming out of an incline. Sometimes it sounds like I’m getting clunking from the front and the rear. It just spent an entire week at the dealership, no loaner car, they said they used audio mics, and that it was coming from where the driveshaft enters the rear end.  I can’t stand this, and might be trading it.  Please keep this thread alive if anyone comes up with anything. I would love to fix it myself, if I could…

This is certainly not what we like to hear, David Cheney Photography.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2023 Chevrolet LTZ Z71 Duramax. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: David Cheney Photography/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

10 hours ago, GMCustomerService said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, David Cheney Photography.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2023 Chevrolet LTZ Z71 Duramax. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: David Cheney Photography/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

www.gm.com

Check my previous posts.It hasn’t made the noise since I fixed it myself.I thought it was coming from the rear differential also but it’s not.It’s the rubber pads in between the leafs chattering transferring the noise into the rear.3M or equivalent makes a spray wax for rust prevention for the inside of doors,fenders,quarter panels etc…It’s not wax for the exterior paint,it’s for rust proofing,which you should have done to your truck anyway even if you live in the south west. Jack the truck so the rear hangs down and spray the body and cavity wax in between the leafs, especially where the the front and rear spring pads touch the springs.You can even pry them apart a little with a pry bar or a wedge that you use when cutting down trees.This wax does not wash out and always stays soft and tacky like beeswax.

1 minute ago, poppy510 said:

I’ve posted my simple solution too…a number of times. But people continue to be perplexed by the noise and how to fix it. 

Including the geniuses at General Motors 😂Now let’s talk about the replacing the BCM so the radio turns off when you open the door after shutting the truck off😉Under warranty,they don’t want to do that,but they’ll charge you to do it and fix the problem after warranty is expired 😉I took care of that problem before they could also👍…What about the non responsive throttle and hunting for gear when you NEED to move in a hurry???? I’m almost done with that problem too😉

Don't buy the spring things.  This guy is ripping people off at $60ish shipped for this junk.   I put some in my truck mid Septemeber and had to remove them in early December and replace them with some home made ones that I made with much stronger material.  There was nothing left of 2 of them and they other two had compeltely torn and were about to fall out.  I sent this guy an email from his site and he never responded.   Took me all of 5 minutes to make new ones out of some rubber used at work for boot soles.  These will last a long while.