Clunking Sound ?

Hello , I just started hearing a clunking sound coming from under my 2018 GMC Crew Cab with 3700 miles. I notice sound when going slowly turning and going straight either forward or reverse. I seem to hear it more when driving slow not as much when traveling faster. When I say slower I mean under 15 mph. I had wife drive truck next to me in driveway the sounds seems to be  coming  more from the front of truck but really hard to locate. Sound was more louder/consistent when I was driving in parking lot than test in my  smooth driveway. There is NO vibration , shimmy when driving. Truck is great besides this sound. Going to be calling dealer but just looking for thought from forum member on what might be causing sound. Is there any known problems/ service bulletins with this symptom. My first thought was maybe a bad u joint or bad shock. I 'm no mechanic. Thanks in advance for your help. Dave

The truck is 2 wheel drive mode !

Edited by Borntorun

You mention that is sounds like its coming from the front, so I really cant help there. A few people and myself had/have a clunk coming from the rear which in my case was the leaf springs. If you happen find that its coming from the rear and not the front, check out what I did to fix my issue.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/175090-leaf-spring-noise/?do=findComment&comment=2388999

3 hours ago, Cupton said:

You mention that is sounds like its coming from the front, so I really cant help there. A few people and myself had/have a clunk coming from the rear which in my case was the leaf springs. If you happen find that its coming from the rear and not the front, check out what I did to fix my issue.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/175090-leaf-spring-noise/?do=findComment&comment=2388999

Thanks for replying. I checked out link and took a  screen shot of service bulletin  to take with me to dealer. Hard to tell for sure location of noise . Thanks again Dave

• Like 1

I remember reading something about two bushings on either side of the power steering rack which go bad and cause a clunk while turning at slow speeds.   I think there is a TBS but I just remember reading about it as my truck wasn’t exhibiting the symptoms. 

good luck 

The clunking is prob the rear leafs. I have this down to a science lol every so often I will jack up the truck from the hitch. Put a bar in between each leaf and grease it. The clunking is not so much up and down but they rub and clunk side to side over each other. Some used bike tubes In between as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1