2016 Tahoe 5.3 Coolant Line Corrosion

Hey,

I know this is a Tahoe question in a truck forum, but this forum is more active than the Tahoe/Yukon forum.

I believe these line are for the heater/AC. As you can see, the lines are now corroded from leaking. I talked to the dealer about a warranty replacement, but they said it would be an out of pocket fix due to the 3 year 36,000 warranty up.

It looks as if I can do the replacement myself, just asking what may need to be drained or de pressurized before removal and what would go back into the system. Also, any info on the part name and best place to purchase them.

Thanks!30dbe2cc786c6e526563db90a2e8a06b.jpgaaff964b0ab2598b5aaf7873807b0249.jpg4f5b0212db375e6446b2b2382001da54.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

They're just the hoses that go to your heater core.

They should disconnect from the hard lines that go through the firewall and then again from the radiator.

All you'll have to drain is the coolant. It isn't pressurized when the engine is off and cooled down. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT try to mess with coolant when the engine is hot.

Park and let it sit for a couple hours.

Snap on the new hoses, and start filling with coolant. Fill it as much as you can, and start the engine with the cap off of the overflow tank. This allows air to "burp" out and just keep adding coolant until it stabilizes. Should be good to go.

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

Looks like the old days when they first started using DexCool and put 2 tablets of a "Bars-Leak"-type of substance in the cooling system to dissolve and stop any leaks.  You'd have some crusty stuff at any weeping joints, then it would not leak any more.  Dunno if they still do that, and if that is what you are seeing here.  GM hasn't made a cooler line or oil line worth a damn for the last 30 years.  They all seep or leak sooner or later, mostly at the crimps and joints.  My Dad's Silverado has had 3 sets of oil cooler lines and transmission cooler lines, and they all leak.  I've been told NAPA lines are better than the GM/AC Delco, or to go to a hydralic shop to have custom lines made that will never leak.  

Edited by MaverickZ71