Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

I've been watching Youtubers  who have chosen to retire to full time RV life.  For many of these people this is not an "either -  or"  choice and they (I) can't afford to maintain a house and travel fulltime in an RV.   Kudo's to the retired couples with the guts to make such a choice.    I doubt I could take the plunge but I like experiencing the lifestyle through my TV.   Some days the pros list gets pretty long!   Giving up our home  and the fear of getting out of the housing market are the main fears.   Has anyone here tried or are considering the fulltime RV lifestyle?  

I've been watching Youtubers  who have chosen to retire to full time RV life.  For many of these people this is not an "either -  or"  choice and they (I) can't afford to maintain a house and travel fulltime in an RV.   Kudo's to the retired couples with the guts to make such a choice.    I doubt I could take the plunge but I like experiencing the lifestyle through my TV.   Some days the pros list gets pretty long!   Giving up our home  and the fear of getting out of the housing market are the main fears.   Has anyone here tried or are considering the fulltime RV lifestyle?  

I did while working out of town. It was better that living in a motel. I’ve seen people down sized their home and add an RV of some kind. But eventually you’ll need a permanent resident. I can’t imagine spending the last part of my life in a RV instead of a home as an either or.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

Considered it and passed on it. By the time the Mrs. got all the features she had to have the cost was insane. Would be cheaper and less trouble to put wheels under the house and pull it with a Kenworth. Even then she'd make me live in the sleeper. :crackup:

• Like 1

Oh, she has mentioned renting a Mini Winnie to see if she could live with less. I think she is more interested in the sightseeing  and thinks this would be a cheaper way than motel living. Would be too as a once in awhile thing. Funny, she would consider living in a 'buss' style RV or large pull behind pop out, but would never live in a mobile home. Must be a neighborhood thing. 

:dunno:

I think it would be fun...for awhile but not a life choice

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 9:25 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

I think it would be fun...for awhile but not a life choice

I really enjoy the RV lifestyle as based on my limited experience owning a Minnie Winnie.  However, we only travelled in optimal conditions to fully serviced campgrounds.  When you factor in the cost of maintenance, storage, campground fees, fuel, insurance etc. your holiday adventures are very expensive.  Spending a couple of weeks per year in a resort hotel is a far less expensive holiday plan!  I suspect the fulltime RV experience would quickly lose the holiday feel and we'd soon be searching for a place without wheels.

• Like 1

I find the most challenging aspect of this "extra time" generated by the pandemic is the surplus think time.  Prior to the pandemic, I had 10 years of retirement experience c/w a long "to do" list.  This list now has most items with check marks and many others marked n/a.  This leaves more time to plan for the future.  The proverbial bucket list is continually refined with a  steadily shrinking timeline.  I am fascinated by the fulltime RV option but wouldn't do it without the ability to return to my current situation.  Several years ago I had a colleague show up to work with the news that his wife was given a year to live.  I remember the day well because my friend retired the day he was given the news, sold the family home, bought a truck/trailer  then hit the road.  The year turned out to be a decade.   He attributes his wife's added time to the carefree RV lifestyle and he regrets they didn't start ten years earlier!

• Like 1

I find the most challenging aspect of this "extra time" generated by the pandemic is the surplus think time.  Prior to the pandemic, I had 10 years of retirement experience c/w a long "to do" list.  This list now has most items with check marks and many others marked n/a.  This leaves more time to plan for the future.  The proverbial bucket list is continually refined with a  steadily shrinking timeline.  I am fascinated by the fulltime RV option but wouldn't do it without the ability to return to my current situation.  Several years ago I had a colleague show up to work with the news that his wife was given a year to live.  I remember the day well because my friend retired the day he was given the news, sold the family home, bought a truck/trailer  then hit the road.  The year turned out to be a decade.   He attributes his wife's added time to the carefree RV lifestyle and he regrets they didn't start ten years earlier!

Probably got far enough away from the kids, grandkids and their problems added to the extra years. There problems are the worst ever. Listening to that could certainly subtract years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The analogy of peeling an onion is one I use to describe my downsizing process c/w the increase in tears.  The loads taken to the local charity stores these past couple of days were full of difficult items to give up for their value in memories or potential  monetary worth.   Today I'm feeling a little beaten up over the process but glad to be moving ahead.  I subscribe to a YouTube channel following a couple my age who downsized into a 7'X16' cargo trailer conversion. ("I Ride" Tiny House Adventures)  After two years of fulltime RVing, they are in the midst of converting/moving up to a 8.5' X20' tiny house.  It is so natural for us to want to expand our habitat, no matter your stage in life!  I appreciate how lucky I am to have the problem of too much stuff.  This good fortune makes it easier to donate to non-profits.  I am particularly happy when I encounter lineups at places to donate.  It helps the giving process feel like the right thing to do!

• Like 2

I received my first vaccine last night which in itself is not newsworthy. However,  getting to this point is very big news.  Without considering the politics or supply issues, it is absolutely a herculean effort to vaccinate the world's population in such a relatively short period of time. I was at one walk-in centre in a small city with dozens of stations jabbing people of similar ages all day long in <10 min intervals.  It truly boggles the mind to appreciate that what I witnessed was a small drop in a very large bucket!  I thanked the volunteer who administered my dose and mused how history will remember her role.  Many, many people are sacrificing their time and safety to keep the general population healthy. Thank you to everyone giving up some of their precious time for the benefit of all!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, healthfreak said:

Thanks for creating this topic for everyone to share. I for one have used my spare time for meditating and catching up with my reading in spiritual matters.

Interesting use of time. 😉 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, healthfreak said:

I for one have used my spare time for meditating and catching up with my reading in spiritual matters.

12 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Interesting use of time. 😉 

The use of extra time for thinking/reflection has been suggested earlier in this thread but maybe understated.  For some, the novelty of tackling outstanding projects has worn off.  This leaves some serious time available to plan and think about our future. (Spiritually and otherwise)   There are many who are simply laser focused on getting back to the way things were.  There are many others who have been permanently and irreversibly impacted by this pandemic and there is no going back.  Then you look at the horrible extremes currently going on in India!  It makes our worries pale in comparison but our worries still exist.  Be mindful of those friends and relatives who our living in apparent bliss. They are vulnerable to the dark side of too much thinking time. They may also feel that they have no right to vent.  We have a friend and neighbor who's assets and lifestyle are often a subject of our envy. (Not to the level of taking to confession 😉 )   She  burst into tears yesterday when asked how she was doing.  

• Like 1

Genesis 1:26 in part says: "Then God said: “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness..."

One of the most interesting ways we are in his likeness is our gift of 'imagination'. To create in our mind a plan for a form of, to picture a future we do not yet posses. Imagination allows a human to have 'hope'. Something he did not give the animal world. Hope in turn leads to faith. Paul made note in Hebrews 11:1 that when hope is 'assured' we have a basis for FAITH that our hope WILL be realized. He made note as well that assurance is provided by 'evident demonstration'. That is faith is not blind but based on proof.

It would seem then that the quality of ones dreams and thus life depends in large part on 'evident demonstration'. More accurately, ones "acceptance of proof" when 'evident demonstration" is provided. 

Example was the sect of Jews in Jesus day called the Sadducees who did not believe in the resurrection nor angles (Acts 23:8) although many people witnessed both. Even after witnessing Christ raise the dead. (Lu 7:11-15; 8:49-56; Joh 11:38-44) they did not believe. 

People are funny like that. 

• Like 1

Grumpy made reference to our gift of imagination.  This is truly a gift and thankfully not distributed equally!  Mrs. Donstar does an admirable job of keeping mine in check.  (I find that if I preface my most ambitious plans with, "If I win the lottery", she may politely listen for awhile.)  Yesterday, as I was looking for a Mother's Day card for her,  I was trying to imagine what a perfect day for her would look like.  It was vey humbling.   Her perfect day would not include any new "things" and would see her giving more than receiving.   We all may be equal in most ways but those with the title of "Mother" were, are,  and always will be a cut above.  Make Sunday extra special for the mothers in your family, or circle of friends.  Cards and flowers are token gestures but use your imagination to go beyond the expected! Your time is appreciated more than words from Hallmark and most of us have a lot of it to give!    Once again we will bring home our 88 yr old friend from a seniors home to Zoom with her far-away children and grandkids.  It won't cost me a dime but will bring immeasurable happiness to a few mothers in my life!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a day when I'd wake up with a hangover that was linked to excessive enjoyment the day before.  This morning's hangover is from cutting the grass yesterday!  I have been a holdout amongst my senior friends and not paid to have this service done by others.  In anticipation of this stage, my wife presented me with a quote from a popular lawn care company.  My wife says I'll free up more time to do other things.  Too much "free time" could lead to the old fashion way of creating a hangover!   I have developed a profound appreciation for those seniors dealing with an inability to travel and reduced ability to seek physical activities.   I remember twenty years ago when my favourite uncle transitioned from his awesome workshop to his recliner and TV.  As they say, "It was the beginning of the end for him".  I have no intention of following in his path!   Today, I'm shopping for a new self-propelled lawnmower with electric start!!

• Like 4