Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

I've owned a few trucks with the three on the tree which was once upon a time the base transmission.  (Automatic and 4 spd. were relatively expensive options).  My '96 F150 came with the 5spd manual which provided a much less desirable (car-like) experience, imo.  I do a lot of vehicle "shopping" in my spare time and recently found a flawless '78 F150 SuperCab 4X4 with a 460V8 4spd.  I didn't get past the first picture with my wife before she expressed how little she shared my enthusiasm! (A glimmer of her enthusiasm is critical in the shopping process 😉 )    The size and powertrain would make for a totally impractical DD but it would be an absolute blast to drive!   

I've owned a few trucks with the three on the tree which was once upon a time the base transmission.  (Automatic and 4 spd. were relatively expensive options).  My '96 F150 came with the 5spd manual which provided a much less desirable (car-like) experience, imo.  I do a lot of vehicle "shopping" in my spare time and recently found a flawless '78 F150 SuperCab 4X4 with a 460V8 4spd.  I didn't get past the first picture with my wife before she expressed how little she shared my enthusiasm! (A glimmer of her enthusiasm is critical in the shopping process [emoji6] )    The size and powertrain would make for a totally impractical DD but it would be an absolute blast to drive!   

I liked the 5 speed myself for the reason you don’t. Fairly quick shifting. The 4 speed you like is a granny 4 speed. Really only 3 speed. No real motivation in granny gear. My two Ram sticks 3/4- one ton (91 and 95) Cummins and V-10 had easy shifting 5 speeds. And my 99 1/2 ton Ford 5 speed was a blast. Especially after adding a blower. My favorite all time was my trailblazer ss. An suv vette. I always wanted utility and performance, as car like as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Donstar said:

I've owned a few trucks with the three on the tree which was once upon a time the base transmission.  (Automatic and 4 spd. were relatively expensive options).  My '96 F150 came with the 5spd manual which provided a much less desirable (car-like) experience, imo.  I do a lot of vehicle "shopping" in my spare time and recently found a flawless '78 F150 SuperCab 4X4 with a 460V8 4spd.  I didn't get past the first picture with my wife before she expressed how little she shared my enthusiasm! (A glimmer of her enthusiasm is critical in the shopping process 😉 )    The size and powertrain would make for a totally impractical DD but it would be an absolute blast to drive!   

I hear that! :crackup:

Many years ago my daughter use to go with me regularly for morning coffee.  One morning was particularly unsettling because I was heading out of country for six weeks.  (Six weeks is an extraordinarily long time when you're a tween)   On this particular morning I said let's come up with our own unique code word.  (This was before passwords were an everyday part of our lives)  We did and she forgot about that conversation until we sat down for morning coffee six weeks + 1 day later.  I said the word and the emotions exploded!  It was like I said the secret word and the six weeks disappeared.   I was reminded of this yesterday when I visited a senior friend in her independent living retirement home yesterday for the first time in 13 months.  We have visited her outside of her home regularly but this was the first time she could host a guest.  Upon my arrival I asked if I could fix her TV?  This was intended as a joke because before Covid she was calling me regularly to fix her TV.  She beamed, said yes, and it felt like no time had passed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still working on the diet the wife has put me on. Dog is loosing weight. Cool. Five weeks in and about 9 pounds down. Five of that in the first week. Water weight I'm told. So just over a pound a week. It is driving the wife batty. Snails pace. YIKES!! I reminder her it also about the pace we put it on at. Oh, that's me not Rex. He's down 3 lbs. 😉 

I never paid much attention to diet. That is what makes one up. While I was working I could eat most anything and never gain an ounce. Retirement changed that greatly as did kicking the smoking habit. BOOM!! Now I look at a package an gain weight. Kidding but...not far from true. 

I have no idea how this will turn out but I can say I've learned more in five weeks than in fifty years about it. Scary to be that ignorant about your own body and health. This is something like the experience of quitting smoking. Like when I did that it was quite some time before I noticed my sense of smell and taste were making drastic improvements. Took years before loosing the morning tar ball. I know, TMI. Point is, major changes in eating habits are making equally major changes in the bodies habits. Ones I like. 

The toughest part of this is learning balance in nutrition. Anyway, it's an interesting hobby now.  

• Like 1

Money, eating, drinking, smoking and exercise are common topics that come into greater focus for many, including me, upon retirement.  The excuses and distractions diminish and you become more accountable to yourself.  Focus became particularly acute for me this past year.  I sometimes wonder where I'd be today if my current brain was with me 30 years ago!   (wealthier and healthier!)  I try to make sure my kids also grow from my poorer choices.   I'm very careful not to preface comments with , "When (or If) I was younger (or your age)..."    I wish I had tapped into my parents, and grandparents' wisdom much, much more in-depth.  I know now that they were often telling me but I wasn't always listening!    I lived and worked on First Nation reserves for several years and the culture's reliance on elders is outstanding.  The reason for this is much clearer for me now than when I was younger.  

• Like 1

Money, eating, drinking, smoking and exercise are common topics that come into greater focus for many, including me, upon retirement.  The excuses and distractions diminish and you become more accountable to yourself.  Focus became particularly acute for me this past year.  I sometimes wonder where I'd be today if my current brain was with me 30 years ago!   (wealthier and healthier!)  I try to make sure my kids also grow from my poorer choices.   I'm very careful not to preface comments with , "When (or If) I was younger (or your age)..."    I wish I had tapped into my parents, and grandparents' wisdom much, much more in-depth.  I know now that they were often telling me but I wasn't always listening!    I lived and worked on First Nation reserves for several years and the culture's reliance on elders is outstanding.  The reason for this is much clearer for me now than when I was younger.  

People today have way too many hobbies. I was in my 40s before I could really start saving for retirement. My father’s favorite hobby was working. Comes from having parents who lived through the depression. The only problem he didn’t know what to do with himself when he quit working. Also in my 40s we finally started taking vacations. Because I traveled so much working our favorite was cruising. Unpack once you’re room comes with you. We got good at finding discounts. I still like driving so now retired 3-4 times a year we visit the father in law and other family members going cross country. Finally after 6 years into retirement I’m comfortable knowing we invested enough. Balancing enjoying now and saving for retirement was challenging. Luckily I like where I live and enjoy not doing anything sometimes. Does have it rewards. I do marvel at what people spend their money on and what they think they need. Wondering how they’re going to keep it up in retirement.

• Like 1

People today have way too many hobbies. I was in my 40s before I could really start saving for retirement. My father’s favorite hobby was working. Comes from having parents who lived through the depression. The only problem he didn’t know what to do with himself when he quit working. Also in my 40s we finally started taking vacations. Because I traveled so much working our favorite was cruising. Unpack once you’re room comes with you. We got good at finding discounts. I still like driving so now retired 3-4 times a year we visit the father in law and other family members going cross country. Finally after 6 years into retirement I’m comfortable knowing we invested enough. Balancing enjoying now and saving for retirement was challenging. Luckily I like where I live and enjoy not doing anything sometimes. Does have it rewards. I do marvel at what people spend their money on and what they think they need. Wondering how they’re going to keep it up in retirement.

Yea probably why I won’t be able to retire lol. I have been saving for quite some time (since
I was 22) going on 42 and as long as the market doesn’t crash and I keep going along like I am I should be comfortable (not factoring in healthcare)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Yea probably why I won’t be able to retire lol. I have been saving for quite some time (since
I was 22) going on 42 and as long as the market doesn’t crash and I keep going along like I am I should be comfortable (not factoring in healthcare)

I was forced into retirement twelve years early...but....that was okay. I started saving for it the day I was born in ways I wouldn't even dream of for decades. Also the son of depression parents I found out early that wealth isn't having more than you need but needing less than you have. I never took 'common wisdom' as sound advice. Things like holding a mortgage for 30 years to claim a tax benefit that paid penny's on the mortgage interest paid. Buying things on credit I could pay cash for. Learning that the real difference between a $20 bottle of wine and a $2,000 dollar a glass vintage was more or less snobbery. I survived many market crashes and every time landed on the right side of the deal being offered by not taking it; flatly rejecting Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. If you can't put your head around the idea that you must be willing to loose it all and be content doing it....someone will be willing to milk you like a cow and when you have nothing left to give....bleed you like a spring pig. Learn to be satisfied instead of successful. The first is in your control. The second in someone else's who will always move the goal post on you. 

Hebrews 11:6 

Moreover, without faith it is impossible to please God well, for whoever approaches God must believe that he is and that he becomes the rewarder of those earnestly seeking him.

• Like 1

I spoke to a new neighbour from in his late 40's who took some time off after closing his previous business.  He said over the past year he has developed a strong appreciation for a retirement lifestyle and is looking forward to doing it fulltime   He is currently starting a one man landscaping company to fund his path to retirement and predicts 8-10 years should do the trick.   I saw him wheelbarrow loads of topsoil yesterday as he  single handedly  prepares for a new front lawn at his house.  He may be in good financial shape when he retires but his body may be on a different path!  Kudos to him for having retirement in his sights.   Grumpy reminded me of an excellent point.  Your retirement plan is just a plan.  Crap happens.  His doctor had him retiring 12 years early and my retirement was 10 years early.  (We all know people who were much less lucky.)   Like, Karnut, my father didn't take well to retirement,  He set a good example with his financial planning but couldn't accept this stage in life.  I know that too many are struggling to meet their daily basic needs.  If you are fortunate enough to be able to make choices between non-essential items/activities or banking for retirement, seriously consider the latter. Odds are in your favour that you will live well into retirement age and you're going to want funds to maintain quality and dignity in your life.

I spoke to a new neighbour from in his late 40's who took some time off after closing his previous business.  He said over the past year he has developed a strong appreciation for a retirement lifestyle and is looking forward to doing it fulltime   He is currently starting a one man landscaping company to fund his path to retirement and predicts 8-10 years should do the trick.   I saw him wheelbarrow loads of topsoil yesterday as he  single handedly  prepares for a new front lawn at his house.  He may be in good financial shape when he retires but his body may be on a different path!  Kudos to him for having retirement in his sights.   Grumpy reminded me of an excellent point.  Your retirement plan is just a plan.  Crap happens.  His doctor had him retiring 12 years early and my retirement was 10 years early.  (We all know people who were much less lucky.)   Like, Karnut, my father didn't take well to retirement,  He set a good example with his financial planning but couldn't accept this stage in life.  I know that too many are struggling to meet their daily basic needs.  If you are fortunate enough to be able to make choices between non-essential items/activities or banking for retirement, seriously consider the latter. Odds are in your favour that you will live well into retirement age and you're going to want funds to maintain quality and dignity in your life.

Probably one of the easiest ways to successful retirement is buying a home under your financial advisers recommendation. Then paying it off early. Then there’s two choices. I spit the different. Put half down on the next one with a little land. The money left over funded the ira. All available budget paid off the new home. Once paid off built the future retirement home on the back of the property. It’s been rented out for 15 years paid for itself. Between that and social security more than funds my retirement. Anyone on any salary can do this. Of course finding the right partner for life goes a long way. Starting over often cuts wealth in half.

My way of doing it was buy 2 houses on decent size land. Spend 22yrs in the military and rent them out the whole time. Retire and have both houses paid off. Sell one and buy a house on a large piece of land out in the woods to live in. Plus still have the other one producing rental income that is pure profit. Also investing in other things at a young age and staying with it was a great decision. Nothing like being able to completely retire at the age of 42.

Now what needs to happen is the weather needs to change so I can get some projects started. All the snow last week and back down to -25 is just getting annoying now..

13 hours ago, Donstar said:

Odds are in your favour that you will live well into retirement age and you're going to want funds to maintain quality and dignity in your life.

My aunt lived much longer than her money or her dignity. Placed in a hospice situation and given 6 to 10 days to live she slogged on over 2 years before COVID got here. She told me that a nursing home is a place where dignity goes to die...but it's okay. She never missed a meal or a Gunsmoke episode. In exchange for her dignity she got someone to give her a bath and wipe her...... 😉 She told me once that her most prized possession was her relationship with God. Something no one could take from her. 

My father is not a wealthy man nor even highly educated but always had what we needed. He is a wise man.  Mother had heart issues that in the end took her. How do you plan for a million dollars worth of heart surgery...a second time? You don't. There is no plan for some things in this world. 

A man I know, a Minister of men and servant of God told me that a Christian has little need life insurance as he has free life assurance. Told me this after his wife's funeral. Then read.....

Hebrews 11:17-19

By faith Abraham, when he was tested, as good as offered up Isaac—the man who had gladly received the promises attempted to offer up his only-begotten son although it had been said to him: “What will be called your offspring will be through Isaac.” But he reasoned that God was able to raise him up even from the dead, and he did receive him from there in an illustrative way.

The entire chapter is a great read and gives context.....Even Abraham believed in an earthly resurrection. What my friend eluded to in his comment on "life assurance'. 

Saturday morning my wife shared her day's list of tasks along with her running record of things that  need to get done before borders and travel open up.   In turn, I shared my list which was  to go to Walmart and buy air & cabin filters for the truck.  This contrast in expressed workload/responsibilities would have sounded hilarious to the untrained ear.  We may have different ways of dealing with issues but we both had very busy days.   The amount of daily routines, chores and obligations we expect of ourselves can be overwhelming.  I like to think of at least one thing I will enjoy and focus on it for the day.  Sometimes, I have to do a helluva lot of stuff to make time to achieve my target but I strive to keep my goals achievable.   I say all of this to get back to the topic of retirement.  Don't ignore or postpone planning for it just because it is so far away, or your financial needs are immediate, or you think you don't have the time.  Move on it today!

• Like 1