Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

Dad put off retirement for about 5 years believing he would be bored. He's now in his 90's and crazy active. He has said that he has no idea how he had time for a job. The homestead is 24/7/365 non stop work. There is plenty to do...always. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Peter Johnson said:

are you for the vaccine or against?

Absolutely for it! I've had both Pfizer shots - brings peace of mind.
Also, remember when polio was a thing? Probably not, a vaccine took care of that - measles, small pox, mumps, etc?

1 hour ago, MikeBMW said:

Absolutely for it! I've had both Pfizer shots - brings peace of mind.
Also, remember when polio was a thing? Probably not, a vaccine took care of that - measles, small pox, mumps, etc?

Don't take the bait Mike 😉 

• Thanks 1

My Dad confused retirement with stopping work.  He tried his understanding of retirement for a year and then went back to "work".  My earlier mention of looking at job ads was solely as a way to purchase unneeded toys.  Unlike my Dad, I am working too much to find the time to work!   If retirement for you is too distant to be of concern, then you need to rethink because it comes up fast and it is real.  Like most things, preparation is key.   Just to give you some "time" context, yesterday my wife and I found ourselves looking for candles for a virtual birthday cake to honour my youngest child's 40th Birthday.  The candles we have for this occasion said "40" and were "recently" on my cake!  Unfortunately, this involved a trip to the depths of our crawl space which required more effort than needed.  Just like I had to go to Home Depot to buy two 1/4' x 1/2" bolts, when I know I have a bunch somewhere, I stopped in at the Dollar store to buy a "40" candle!  Which reminds me of one other pre retirement tip:  Be very discriminating when saving treasures that you may need someday! 😉 

• Like 2

Since Covid began I have held monthly Zoom meetings with my 4 grandchildren as a group.  These are separate from the usual family connections.  It is a carryover "bond" from when they would visit Nana & Papa and were allowed to sneak out of their rooms early in the morning for breakfast and TV with Papa.  (I'm always up early and their parents love the sleep-in!)  Our meetings are changing rapidly and over the past year have evolved from a screen shot of 4 children with their grandpa to 4 teens with a senior facilitator.  I  have to rely much more on a personal than positional leadership style.  Some jobs are conducive to working online from home and grandparenting isn't one of them! 

I’m surprised there is still time dictated by covid. I enjoy this thread as a spare time thread. I’m saddened that there are still areas, states, countries still locked down. Especially after places like Texas (where I live) that enjoy normalcy. And have for some time. Stats are available for anyone to see. I amusing to watch my basketball team the Astros in different stadiums under different protocol. This passed week playing the blue jays in Buffalo. NASCAR too. Blue states hardly any spectators. Red full attendance. Laughable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I’m surprised there is still time dictated by covid. I enjoy this thread as a spare time thread. I’m saddened that there are still areas, states, countries still locked down. Especially after places like Texas (where I live) that enjoy normalcy. And have for some time. Stats are available for anyone to see. I amusing to watch my basketball team the Astros in different stadiums under different protocol. This passed week playing the blue jays in Buffalo. NASCAR too. Blue states hardly any spectators. Red full attendance. Laughable.

Still haven’t figured out edit. It’s baseball not basketball.

Cleaning, organizing and tossing out junk from theroll around tool chest. I had nine plug sockets. They come with everything. I kept two in my favorite drive. Tossed multiples of filter cup wrenchs. It's a job. New parts to old bikes I don't even have anymore.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Still haven’t figured out edit. It’s baseball not basketball.

Upper right corner of your posts. Click on the 3 little dots, a menu will drop down

• Like 1

I’ve been enjoying the past few months of having been proven right on everything from the start. And now covid is as over as it can be. A few are still clinging to it, but it’s over. My observation is that people are just done. The vaccine has done amazing things, but so has the truth as it trickles out over time. Everyone can see how much they’ve been taken for a ride by media and politically tainted health “experts”. Even up here. And even if they don’t wanna admit it. Real science and the truth wins in the end.

I guess that’s pretty much all I have to say on the topic. Just to wrap up my opinion on it forever. Spare time was never easy for me to come by mainly because I don’t seek it out. Running my business 7 days a week. New truck should be landing sometime in July and we’re hitting the road on a short vacation right away when it does. Guess they are just flat sold out of premium in SoCal right now. Hope it stays in supply around here. And also below 5 bucks would be great.

Everyone here, have a good summer and make up for lost time if you can.

22 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I’m surprised there is still time dictated by covid. 

It's encouraging to see areas with high percentages of fully vaccinated residents return to full operation.  Where I live, we still have some time before the threat is minimized and some countries have a lot of time to wait!  I have a family that is spread out globally.  I have a daughter in one country who has not heard when she will be receiving her first vaccine and grandchildren in another who have received both.  My wife and I have received one dose and are weeks away from our second!  In the meantime, I'll adapt to the ongoing changes and make the best out of each day.   I had a double punch this past week of friends becoming critically/terminally ill (not covid) which further prompts me to make the most out of my precious time.   My trailer refresh project has revealed some very OCD type behaviors and consequently taking longer (and more money) than expected!  Unfortunately, it has lost its function as a garbage and dirt hauler and will be promoted to light, clean duty!  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Donstar said:

It's encouraging to see areas with high percentages of fully vaccinated residents return to full operation.  Where I live, we still have some time before the threat is minimized and some countries have a lot of time to wait!  I have a family that is spread out globally.  I have a daughter in one country who has not heard when she will be receiving her first vaccine and grandchildren in another who have received both.  My wife and I have received one dose and are weeks away from our second!  In the meantime, I'll adapt to the ongoing changes and make the best out of each day.   I had a double punch this past week of friends becoming critically/terminally ill (not covid) which further prompts me to make the most out of my precious time.   My trailer refresh project has revealed some very OCD type behaviors and consequently taking longer (and more money) than expected!  Unfortunately, it has lost its function as a garbage and dirt hauler and will be promoted to light, clean duty!  

My father in law was first to get his, he’s 90. I got mine a few months back. My wife refused to get one. Most of my older relatives got there’s. Strangely my father in law a few weeks back got a bad cold. He got tested and was positive. I guess the vaccine help lessen the whole deal. Years from now we’ll the know the cost and who did the right thing. Strange things are about. I keep my head down, live my life. My mother after I turned 12. Started teaching the facts of life. She often would say power, sex, and money rules the world. Of course in some areas religious teachings.

• Like 1

Problem is the rules here are changing faster than the reality. Law says 'vaccinated' people can go mask-less. Judging by the reality of the insides of stores EVERYONE is vaccinated and yet...we know that isn't true. 😉 As I can't trust people to 'do the right thing' I am forced to treat everyone as if this is still the peak of this event. I must treat them as the reality they force upon me. 

This means I still wear a mask. Still stay mostly at home. Walk wide when I feel the need and doubt everything. It also means I have allot of COVID spare time and more honey do's and a wish list a mile long. 

One item on the wish list is the next project...truck...car...bike. I'm not picky. Sundays are still great for lot scanning. Found a fairly clean 2007 RCSB 1500 with 87K on the clock in trim high enough to have carpet. Problem is that the asking price is but a thousand lower that I paid for Pepper when a year old and with but 1K on the clock that didn't have a mark on her and had been out of the garage but a handful of times. This one has two minor dents and enough scrapes and scratches to require a full on paint job and one new flare. If I figure this right I should be able to sell Pepper for 10K over the OEM original MSRP and make people feel I'm doing them a favor. What absolute rubbish. 

Come to think of it, there asking more for it that is sold for new. :wtf:

It's okay. I'll wait for stupid to pass and move on to the next item on the list. Power washing it is :crackup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes projects appear magically!  Yesterday I dropped an open container of coffee color stain on my garage floor which splattered widely.  My motorcycle was in the direct path of the wave.  My plans for a five minute touch up chore  evolved into my wife and I planning for a complete garage repaint and adding protective flooring.   She wants the black and white checkered flooring and I want a neutral grey floor paint.  We finally decided on keeping the garage looking like a garage and embrace the newly acquired brown splotches on a bare cement floor. (It actually cleaned up fairly well but was a long and miserable chore)     The good news is my HD will get the long overdue detailing it needs and my wife gets to shop for new towels...:D

• Haha 2