Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

21 hours ago, diyer2 said:

I hear you txab. I worked on poor workmanship repairs for company's I worked for, fixing fellow employees work. Also the company's fixed poor work by other contractors. When I had my own business, I told my customers you will find cheaper bids but you will get quality work and when I start your job I'm here until it's finished. There will be no call backs when I'm done.

I put myself through school helping in the trades and have done many home renovations.  I pride myself in doing my best work even if it is out of sight.  Many years ago I bought a three level townhouse with a beautifully finished basement.   I decided to add a bathroom to the basement which required some wall removal.   I was horrified to find that the entire "finished basement"  was wired by indoor, two prong extension cords strung from outlet to outlet and light to light.  The entire basement was subsequently gutted and finished properly.  I lived in this fire-trap for a year before discovering this wiring.  Ironically, the complex burned to the ground years after I had moved.  The fire started in another unit and spread quickly.  Perhaps the previous owner of my unit had helped a neighbour with their electrical needs!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

Vtrux.  It uses the our 4.3 to generate power to feed the batteries for the electric drivetrain of a Silverado. 

the kind that becomes the Kleenex of facial tissues or the Band-Aid of adhesive bandages!  😉 

I saw that episode. It was great! Branding, yes. A Silverado Kleenex :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Donstar said:

I put myself through school helping in the trades and have done many home renovations.  I pride myself in doing my best work even if it is out of sight.  Many years ago I bought a three level townhouse with a beautifully finished basement.   I decided to add a bathroom to the basement which required some wall removal.   I was horrified to find that the entire "finished basement"  was wired by indoor, two prong extension cords strung from outlet to outlet and light to light.  The entire basement was subsequently gutted and finished properly.  I lived in this fire-trap for a year before discovering this wiring.  Ironically, the complex burned to the ground years after I had moved.  The fire started in another unit and spread quickly.  Perhaps the previous owner of my unit had helped a neighbour with their electrical needs!

That's why Holmes likes to gut as much as he does. I've run across lots of stuff in property I've bought to fix up, haven't seen quite what you describe. I've seen sewer plumbing held together with duct tape, electrical tape, etc... I've seen lamp cord used to extend to another outlet behind a wall. Plenty of structural nightmares hiding behind sheetrock.  Unfortunately, even with building permits and municipal inspections, plenty of substandard work can take place. It all comes down to the contractor or homeowner doing the work

• Like 1

The shed at our campsite was powered by an extension cord rigged with two male ends. Thankfully nobody ever forgot which end to plug in first. 😂

I have an older home so there’s a lot of stuff that was done…uh…we’ll just say “without a permit”.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, txab said:

That's why Holmes likes to gut as much as he does. I've run across lots of stuff in property I've bought to fix up, haven't seen quite what you describe. I've seen sewer plumbing held together with duct tape, electrical tape, etc... I've seen lamp cord used to extend to another outlet behind a wall. Plenty of structural nightmares hiding behind sheetrock.  Unfortunately, even with building permits and municipal inspections, plenty of substandard work can take place. It all comes down to the contractor or homeowner doing the work

Between refineries I worked as an apprentice plumber for a Master plumber a summer in Denver. He use to chew Bazooka Joe by the wad. He used it to seal leaks in threaded gas pipe when a thread die got buggered. Gum and a bit of flat black spray paint.

Plumbing/fitting is part of a refinery workers 'proficiency' skill set so after about two weeks on the job I ran a crew of about a dozen journeymen plumbers. Not a Master in site. No one knew.... Not even me. :crackup:I thought they were all apprentices as well and the boss was off doing this or that. He was...sitting is a tavern with some city inspector till I got off at 2. I got paid like $4 an hour. He was making over $40.  Heaven knows what the kickback was.  

• Like 1

^^^ Working as a helper in my Dad's Heating and Gas Fitting business I came across an existing install where a hidden  joint with poor threads was wrapped in a roll of electrical tape.  I was actually impressed with how effective and important an air test is in detecting leaks.

My trailer refresh project is biding my time.  The most time consuming part is me going from vertical to horizontal and back again.  I plan each ground trip with care!  My dilemma is whether to use pressure treated plywood or exterior grade  ply with a solid stain.  With the price of plywood I could consider aluminum.  My concern would be the reaction of the aluminum with the steel frame.  Opinions?

264479669_trailer2021.thumb.jpg.1c92bdb8a8ef1d7d2a31002f7ce90051.jpg   

• Like 2

Donstar, I think you would be ok using 1/4" aluminum diamond plate, if you're concerned about electrolysis between the two different metals you could use rubber washers or thin rubber strips between the mounting points and use stainless steel mounting hardware, screws or bolts,washers, and nuts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How nice would that look with Oak planking with stainless dividers like the bed of a 30's pickup? I can't spend your money. :P

Do they still sell Marine Grade double finished plywood? Mahogany :ughdance:

Roger's idea is nice and would look nice. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, garagerog said:

Donstar, I think you would be ok using 1/4" aluminum diamond plate, if you're concerned about electrolysis between the two different metals you could use rubber washers or thin rubber strips between the mounting points and use stainless steel mounting hardware, screws or bolts,washers, and nuts.

Yes, this would be my preferred option and minimizing direct  contact between dissimilar metals would alleviate my concerns.  I phoned for estimates and it puts the cost at a point that is too hard to justify.  I ended up buying good quality 5/8" sanded, exterior plywood for the sides and 3/4" pressure treated plywood for the floor.  I also purchased thick aluminum angle to cover all exposed top edges.  When I explained my finishing needs to the man at the Home Depot paint counter, he said my project will outlive me or him.   I don't know if he was just trying to cheer me up, but if he was,  it didn't!! 

23 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

How nice would that look with Oak planking with stainless dividers like the bed of a 30's pickup? I can't spend your money. :P

Do they still sell Marine Grade double finished plywood? Mahogany :ughdance:

Roger's idea is nice and would look nice. 

I share your vision!   I've considered plank flooring and looked at marine grade plywood.   I even considered decorative cedar sides.  The reality is, this trailer's existence relies on its ability to haul dirt/rocks and not look ugly in the front yard.   I need to minimize the ammunition that renting a trailer when needed would be far cheaper!  

• Haha 1

The pandemic has resulted in many profound experiences.   Lately, I've encountered many inconveniences attributed  to a lack of staff.  I've retired in an area that took me 20 years to get the job I wanted.  If the same scenario happened today, I'd likely get the job upon applying.  I recently spoke to an auto service and repair shop owner, who claims he can't even get people to apply!   He'd hire and train anybody willing to learn.   I know this is temporary but  there are some interesting opportunities available!  Sometimes life experiences happen in the wrong order!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Donstar said:

The pandemic has resulted in many profound experiences.   Lately, I've encountered many inconveniences attributed  to a lack of staff.  I've retired in an area that took me 20 years to get the job I wanted.  If the same scenario happened today, I'd likely get the job upon applying.  I recently spoke to an auto service and repair shop owner, who claims he can't even get people to apply!   He'd hire and train anybody willing to learn.   I know this is temporary but  there are some interesting opportunities available!  Sometimes life experiences happen in the wrong order!

Iv been retired for awhile. I did try Uber for awhile, I like to drive. Not much on bubbly conversation while driving. I got bored with it. Though about transporting campers and fifth wheels. Pretty saturated field. Then I thought about medical specimens transportation part time. Just for grins. The sole purpose to fund a hellcat or something similar. Can’t bring myself to take it out of budget. My wife’s getting ready to sell the intagra type r. So there will be a slot open. I think this falls under spare time, idle minds.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Iv been retired for awhile. I did try Uber for awhile, I like to drive. Not much on bubbly conversation while driving. I got bored with it. Though about transporting campers and fifth wheels. Pretty saturated field. Then I thought about medical specimens transportation part time. Just for grins. The sole purpose to fund a hellcat or something similar. Can’t bring myself to take it out of budget. My wife’s getting ready to sell the intagra type r. So there will be a slot open. I think this falls under spare time, idle minds.

Excellent identification of symptom!  I've also consumed considerable time lately studying job opportunities for the purpose of working for toys!  Then I get real and realize I'll be selling my retirement time that I worked so hard to fund.  If I could find a well paying job that gives me totally flexible hours, requires minimal physical effort, no stress and is fun to do then I may be willing. 😉  Just like the beginning of the pandemic, there is a wide range of "restrictions" depending on where you live.  I do not want to tie myself down with self imposed commitments that would prevent me from visiting, or being visited, as the world opens up.

30 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Excellent identification of symptom!  I've also consumed considerable time lately studying job opportunities for the purpose of working for toys!  Then I get real and realize I'll be selling my retirement time that I worked so hard to fund.  If I could find a well paying job that gives me totally flexible hours, requires minimal physical effort, no stress and is fun to do then I may be willing. 😉  Just like the beginning of the pandemic, there is a wide range of "restrictions" depending on where you live.  I do not want to tie myself down with self imposed commitments that would prevent me from visiting, or being visited, as the world opens up.

Exactly. That’s why I tried Uber. I realized doing that.  I lead a somewhat sheltered life. Our family business dealing with costumers in our field. We all were of similar mind sets. The people I drove around doing Uber were eye opening. Every trip was like applying for a job speaking a foreign language. All for your 5 star rating. I hung for a year, I’m no quitter. I woke one morning, hey stupid this isn’t fun. 

Solomon profoundly examined ‘the occupation of the sons of mankind.’ “I set my heart to seek and explore wisdom in relation to everything that has been done under the heavens.” By “occupation” Solomon did not necessarily mean a job, or employment, but rather the whole scope of what men and women are occupied with throughout their lives. (Ecclesiastes 1:13 NWT). 

His conclusion? “Fear the true God and keep his commandments. For this is the whole obligation of man.”—(Ecclesiastes 12:13 Byington).

Micah 6:8 (KJV) expands on this, "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

People today are quite uncomfortable with being 'obligated' to anyone for anything even when one is under such obligation innately and the ask really is ever so small. 

Set aside a few minutes a day to read, to think deeply on, to apply... The pay is really good and the work is ever so light. 

• Like 1