service airbag light

Chuck Youngblood

Question

5 answers to this question

There should be a code stored if the light was on. Are you sure your scan tool can access "B" codes? You'll need to access the SDM or SRS directly - this won't be shown in the PCM, and "P" codes won't be found here.

That said, take a peek up front under the bumper at the 2 front airbag sensors. You'll have to pull the plastic splash guard down.  If any of them look puffy / swollen, cracked or green, they're junk. Common failure. If the vehicle is driven regularly through winters, they usually fail in 10 years or less.

7 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

There should be a code stored if the light was on. Are you sure your scan tool can access "B" codes? You'll need to access the SDM or SRS directly - this won't be shown in the PCM, and "P" codes won't be found here.

That said, take a peek up front under the bumper at the 2 front airbag sensors. You'll have to pull the plastic splash guard down.  If any of them look puffy / swollen, cracked or green, they're junk. Common failure. If the vehicle is driven regularly through winters, they usually fail in 10 years or less.

Thank you, I'll check those sensors out.I used an Auto Xray scanner but it probably doesn't check the sdm/srs codes.

• Like 1

I had the codes read and it is the impact sensor but the guy did not tell me which one so I may have toeither get one and hope I hit it right or get a pair to save time. I see they are a bit pricy so I was wondering, is there any chance the airbag might be activated with the bad sensor? If so, can I unplug them until I get new ones?

when the light is on the system is deactivated, dont get in an accident do not buy cheap ebay ones, they will fail in a year or wont be compatible. friend of mine bought 2 sets from ebay for his 2007 and finally bit the bullet and bought oem to solve the problem

Edited by silveradosid

50 minutes ago, silveradosid said:

when the light is on the system is deactivated, dont get in an accident do not buy cheap ebay ones, they will fail in a year or wont be compatible. friend of mine bought 2 sets from ebay for his 2007 and finally bit the bullet and bought oem to solve the problem

Thank you for that information. I have found that especially for electrical parts oem is the only way to go.