Transmission fluid brands?

Transmission fluid brands?

I was looking at the OP's title for this thread and had a thought. Many actually but I've been told I don't have to say everything that is on my mind. 

The question asks 'Brands'. Strikes me as an odd question. Is Valvoline "better" than Mobil? 

He didn't ask about "Type" likely as he already knows it takes Dexron 6 and not Mercon, Type A or Type F.

Specifications. 

And he didn't ask about "Kind" which is different than Brand or Type. 

What KIND of fluid. Mineral oil? A PAO perhaps? A PAO/Ester blend? 

When you ask Brand your asking about some small latitude in specification as the major elements of the fluid are chemically defined such as a particular viscosity or a specific friction modifier. Your asking about small differences in things like corrosion additives. Consumables. 

Yes different brands may use different bases but it's more a question of 'kind' than 'brand'. A brand may actually have more that one fluid kind choice. So brand is non-specific.

Fact is the only major difference is in the 'kind' of base that specification is made from. And it is a question worth the ask.  

Edited by Grumpy Bear

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, 20 Silverado said:

A parts guy once told me they are all generic spec (Mercon VI) for example

I had a parts guy tell me once that nearly all motors now use cartridge oil filters. They will say anything. 

There isn't a  MERCON VI fluid. It's Mercon LV and yes it is compatible with Dexron VI but they are not identical. 

Read the Valvoline packaging carefully.  DEXRON VI officially licensed BUT Mercon LV only "recommended".

Want an education read the product data sheets from Red Line's long list of ATF's. 

• Like 2