Trying to decide 2016 2500hd Gas vs 2018 2500hd diesel

Im on the fence.

Diesel is $39000 OTD

Gas is $33000

56k miles on both

Which would be best. I don’t tow much but would like the power when needed. Is diesel worth the extra 6k

Any advise and appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which would be best for _______?

How are you using it?

Daily driver for short trips, hauling a flatbed trailer with a small tractor every day or something in between?

I went with gas but I drive empty 10 minutes each way to work daily.
I can tow / haul when I need to but couldn't justify the extra cost for the diesel. Not just the initial cost but the maintenance costs.

Sent from the demons in my head

• Like 1

I have a 2019 gasser. Had a 2015 gasser.

I tow about 4X a year too. Daily driver to work. I didn't think diesel was worth extra upfront or maintenance costs.

If I towed daily or ran a business, probably go diesel. Wasn't a fit for my needs, so I stuck with gas.

I have a 2017 HD gasser. Most of the time I am happy with the purchase. I needed the extra capacity of the 3/4 but I’m not towing a lot of the time. Wanted a diesel, would still like a diesel, but it just didn’t make sense for me. Sits in my garage 90% of the time except for small runs around town.

Does anyone have anyway to base a comparison? I’ve thought about trading mine in.. I tow 11k trailer on a bumper pull. I tow 2-3 times a month for about 7-8 months a year.

How noticeable is it between a diesel and gas motor? If it’s negligible, I may trade it in and take advantage of prices and financing right now

I loved my 2016 DMax, it was an awesome towing vehicle BUT that said, it was loud, needed Def Fluid, very heavy which caused it to almost get stuck in the grass. The gassed will ride the same but possibly tougher since it’s lighter without the Diesel and will not tie as much. I now have an 18 6.2 and do not tow more than 7k#’s. I don’t miss the DMax but it was an awesome towing vehicle. If you’re stuck in a 2500 and you tow more often than most, get the DMax but if you don’t tow as often I’d look at the gasser and most importantly the amount you’re towing cause the diesel barely noticed the 10k#’s I was pulling. Btw, both motors are solid, you just need to figure out your max towing and how often you’re doing it but, if you’re in mountains, I’d definitely get the Diesel!

I do miss the Diesel Exhaust Brake!

Sent from Above

Does anyone have anyway to base a comparison? I’ve thought about trading mine in.. I tow 11k trailer on a bumper pull. I tow 2-3 times a month for about 7-8 months a year.

How noticeable is it between a diesel and gas motor? If it’s negligible, I may trade it in and take advantage of prices and financing right now

Our toyhauler weighs like 8k loaded. I personally would go to about 10k before I considered a diesel. Really depends on where you are hauling. Relatively flat area, the gas should be fine. Not that it won’t haul in the mountains, but too me I don’t care to hear the motor screaming all the time. I can handle mine for the trips we take. Doing it frequently, I’d get bothered.
  • Like 1

Our toyhauler weighs like 8k loaded. I personally would go to about 10k before I considered a diesel. Really depends on where you are hauling. Relatively flat area, the gas should be fine. Not that it won’t haul in the mountains, but too me I don’t care to hear the motor screaming all the time. I can handle mine for the trips we take. Doing it frequently, I’d get bothered.

Wow your toy hauler is light. Our trailer is 34’ and is 8k dry and 11 wet (approx). It pulls fine. I was just considering if the gasser would pull equally. I don’t need to pass cars on 3% grade.

Wow your toy hauler is light. Our trailer is 34’ and is 8k dry and 11 wet (approx). It pulls fine. I was just considering if the gasser would pull equally. I don’t need to pass cars on 3% grade.

d5f00666f0a1194077e6458e3c1862aa.jpg
Yea she only 25 overall. I think around 5500 dry. The truck handles it well....you have think about the fact that the duramax has 2x the torque and has that extra 500lbs over the front axle. This truck will bounce on some good bumps without load distribution. With the sway and distribution bars it handles very well. It will pull any grade all day, it’s just going to do it in 3rd-4th gear.
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 1:54 PM, Tom Hole said:

It looks nose high in that pic.

That's why I dislike 'leveled' GM trucks.

When you put them to work the look like a Ford.