2005 Silverado 5.3l ticking/tapping noise after driving on highway

Today I was driving my 05 Silverado 5.3l and I was about to exit off the highway. My Wife and I heard this kind of shuttering sound coming from the engine. When I came up to the traffic light I could hear the engine ticking and tappping like it was low on oil. When I came to a complete stop the engine wanted to die. I had to put it in neutral and give it gas to keep it idling.

I noticed the oil pressure guage was below 40 and fluctuating a lot which is not normal for this truck. I checked the oil level and it shows full of oil.  I let it set for at least 30 mins and checked the oil level again and it said it was full again. 

I started it back up and the oil guage is still reading below 40 and fluctuating at idle a lot.  At idle it usually runs above 40 and more when driving.

i don’t see any leaks. Any suggestions on what to look for?? Or what to test?

After looking at some you tube videos, I suspect the problem may potentially be the oil pick up tube o-ring?  If air were getting past the deteriorated o-ring, then that might explain the unusual fluctuation on the oil pressure gauge.  

I hope something else is not damaged inside the engine with the few seconds that it was shuttering then tapping like it was out of oil.  I have not heard the tick/tap/shutter again.