Low RPM shake/ vibration?. stutter?

Have you noticed the issue when putting in L9? .my dealer mentioned the same and even my paperwork states that the DFM is to blame but was tested and operating as it should.  However, when putting the tranny in L9 it supposedly shuts off the DFM and when doing so mine still exhibits the same problem so it's not the DFM in my case  as they state. 

4 minutes ago, ajs800 said:

Wow, thanks for the update.  It sounds like my exact situation.  Dealer told me after several test drives that something is not right only to be told a week later after doing multiple things that it's not any better but is now consider "normal".  They didn't have much to say when I told them that it didn't do it for the first 14k miles of ownership so how can it be normal?  Yes, I'm considering selling mine as well.  It sucks as I like the truck but no way am I going to keep something that doesn't operate correctly with only 20k miles. 

Speaking of value, I had a few places willing to give me $10k+ of what I paid 18mos ago and now that has dropped almost $7k during the last 2wks.  It's still more than what I paid which is good considering I've owned 18mos.  

in my case  I was braking even 1 month ago(on CarMax) i dint sell it at that time because the Dealer called me to tell me that there was an system update that would prevent the lifter issue(did not work), I took the truck for another appraisal over the weekend and now im losing 6K under(3k if I consider that i would get 3k back from the extended warranty cancelation). so unfortunate that this truck came out with bad systems because they look amazing. 

but remember that the more we wait the more we lose and this issues are getting more exposure making it harder to sell or trade in for a fare value.  :(

On 9/1/2021 at 9:54 PM, TrailBoosXfan said:

in my case  I was braking even 1 month ago(on CarMax) i dint sell it at that time because the Dealer called me to tell me that there was an system update that would prevent the lifter issue(did not work), I took the truck for another appraisal over the weekend and now im losing 6K under(3k if I consider that i would get 3k back from the extended warranty cancelation). so unfortunate that this truck came out with bad systems because they look amazing. 

but remember that the more we wait the more we lose and this issues are getting more exposure making it harder to sell or trade in for a fare value.  :(

So en dup trading in my TB for an RST with out DFM from factory, the dealership gave me back all the money that I paid for the TB and they transfer my extended warranty to the new truck.

so now I dont have to worry about the DFM system causing issues like it did with my TB.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:03 PM, ajs800 said:

Which engine/ tranny combo do you have?  

I am at 19k miles now and have had my 20 AT4 (5.3/10spd) to the dealer three times now with no fix.  They have replaced the torque converter(it actually tested out of spec) as it seemed like the likely culprit given the issue, fluid flush, and multiple software updates with no change. They now claim it's normal which is total BS.  It was 100% smooth the first 14k miles.  Now it from around 40+ any slight "tap in" to the throttle without it downshifting creates a bucking, tranny lug, misfire type feel...kind of similar to an out balance rear wheel feeling.  The dealer thought it might be wheels out of balance as well until we did a test drive on a smooth road and coasted in N and it was silky smooth.  They eve road forced them again thinking it was maybe the issue but no luck.  I also  thought about disabling the AFM but the issue is still there when putting tranny in L9 so that excludes the AFM.  I'll probably take it to another dealer, although I really don't want to deal not having the truck for another 7-10days. 

It will be tough given the current market, but I plan to dump the truck as soon as I can find a reasonable deal on something.  It blows me away how GM treats their customers and respond with it's considered "normal" crap.   I would love to find a fix but starting to lose hope at this point.  

Mine is a 5.3 with a 10 speed. And after sitting at rotolo Chevrolet for over a week they are telling me the stuttering. Lurching and jerkiness is a result of a faulty camshaft sensor. They say they have a TSB to replace it. Unfortunately they don’t have that part either so I have to play  the waiting game I hope they are right or it will be right back in their shop waiting for more parts. I very upset with the way they handled it and I’m doubtful that they are being truthful when they say this is the problem. I think their just trying to get me back in a bad truck and convince me it’s ok until they can wash their hands of a 50000 dollar paper weight. SO IM STILL WAITING FOR THIS CAM SHAFT SENSOR MORE THAN A WEEK SITTING IN THE SHOP.  Sad thing is i can get this part almost anywhere in a day delevery genuine gm part but they wont use it if it doesnt come from gm. such b.s.

Edited by sfargo

On 9/1/2021 at 2:04 PM, TrailBoosXfan said:

I stater having the issue on TB 2021 LT 5.3L 10 speed with 8K miles . The problem started right after I got the lifters changed and a bend push rod(due to a misfire).  I can replicate the issue every time I get to a steady speed of  27, 37, 47, 57, 67 or 77  mph.

On Aug 30 I took a GM tech for a ride to show him the issue and he agreed that there is something wrong going on and they asked me to leave the truck for so they can troubleshoot the truck with the computer.  I called yesterday for an update and I was told that they are checking with GM engineers because they don't have a clue what could be causing the issue. I should get another update from them later today(ill update my post once they provide more info)

Vehicle has been at GMC for the last week. Had the lifters and a bent pushrod replaced 500 miles ago and now getting the same vibration as light acceleration or coasting. My case is very slight.  Dealer is saying they are not finding a problem. The most obvious issue I've felt is a very rough idle. The truck has always been smooth as glass at idle,but after the repair, it shakes like an old 454 progressively worse when warm. One week without a truck or loaner is getting really old

So to update on shake and stutter I received my truck back on wednesday after they replace cam shaft positioning sensor but this did not fix the problem. This was no surprise to me so I took it back the next day and am waiting for a new response as to WTF is going on. I have been in contact with GM regarding this matter and have a received an email response but am still waiting on a call. When returning truck I insisted service manger take a test drive and he recognized truck had a problem before we even left dealership. I will update as soon as I get more information. So it’s now 3 weeks in shop for a truck that is only two months old and less than 1000 miles

Edited by Sam Fargo

On 9/10/2021 at 12:00 AM, Philbert said:

Vehicle has been at GMC for the last week. Had the lifters and a bent pushrod replaced 500 miles ago and now getting the same vibration as light acceleration or coasting. My case is very slight.  Dealer is saying they are not finding a problem. The most obvious issue I've felt is a very rough idle. The truck has always been smooth as glass at idle,but after the repair, it shakes like an old 454 progressively worse when warm. One week without a truck or loaner is getting really old

So I received a call from the dealer, intake manifold was cracked, valve cover gasket rolled (oil leak) and ecm was reprogrammed.   Funny thing is , when I got the truck back the first time, I said to myself, it feels like a vacuum leak.  I'll let you know if it's fixed when I pick it up. If so, I would have the dealer check for vacuum leak at the intake.  They are doing so many of these, I wouldn't be surprised if the technicians aren't torqueing the bolts to spec to save time and just torqueing them RFT (lol)

Still have a slight vibration but better than before and idles much more smoothly although not like it did before the repair. I will drive it around and see what happens. I'm thinking it damaged the camshaft ever so slight but no codes so dealer won't address. 

So I’ve recently found out that the stutter I was feeling at low rpm between 30 and 45 mph isI actually  a misfire. It felt like many were saying as if your driving over tiny bumps. I thought it was transmission but as it turns out it’s the beginning of lifter failure. Those shakes are micro misfires and they are the beginning of the end of your engine. GM should be ashamed of this problem not only are they not admitting issues the dealers are also trying to hide it with B.S.Trying to make people think this is normal operation. This way if you’re vehicle can limp through it till 60000 miles the repair is now your problem.it took me a while to convince Rotolo that this was the truth about the bumpy rides, shaking and stuttering but they finally agreed it is a lifter failure. So my truck sits at the shop now for almost a month with noting being done to fix until they can get parts. They have 5 other trucks in front of me with same problem. These motors are failing so fast and so many they can’t get parts in fast enough. I’m sick to my stomach for making this purchase but now I’m stuck with this P.O.S. I’m sure my dealer was aware of this problem and to make matters worse I asked a tech if this fixes the problem or just a bandaid until it happens again. He responded it’s to new to them so he doesn’t know for sure so to me that’s a no because I’m sure this has been going on for a couple years at least if not more. They should know by now if they can fix it but there reluctance to say yes is an all the answer I need to say no they can’t fix at least not a permanent fix.

Thanks for the heads up.  I took it on another medium distance drive and started feeling it again.   I also started smelling burning oil again , looked under the car and it's still leaking.  I'm so disgusted at this point. 5300 miles. 8 months old. 

20210919_155857.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 3:52 PM, Sam Fargo said:

So I’ve recently found out that the stutter I was feeling at low rpm between 30 and 45 mph isI actually  a misfire. It felt like many were saying as if your driving over tiny bumps. I thought it was transmission but as it turns out it’s the beginning of lifter failure. Those shakes are micro misfires and they are the beginning of the end of your engine. GM should be ashamed of this problem not only are they not admitting issues the dealers are also trying to hide it with B.S.Trying to make people think this is normal operation. This way if you’re vehicle can limp through it till 60000 miles the repair is now your problem.it took me a while to convince Rotolo that this was the truth about the bumpy rides, shaking and stuttering but they finally agreed it is a lifter failure. So my truck sits at the shop now for almost a month with noting being done to fix until they can get parts. They have 5 other trucks in front of me with same problem. These motors are failing so fast and so many they can’t get parts in fast enough. I’m sick to my stomach for making this purchase but now I’m stuck with this P.O.S. I’m sure my dealer was aware of this problem and to make matters worse I asked a tech if this fixes the problem or just a bandaid until it happens again. He responded it’s to new to them so he doesn’t know for sure so to me that’s a no because I’m sure this has been going on for a couple years at least if not more. They should know by now if they can fix it but there reluctance to say yes is an all the answer I need to say no they can’t fix at least not a permanent fix.

I bought my 6.2 trailboss a week or so ago. Traded in my 2017 redline edition 6.2 with the dreaded 8 speed. It was slipping so i figured now was the time. Didn’t notice any shaking on the new TB on the first day or two but now it’s exactly as everyone is saying. When I’m just doing 40mph and driving normally i feel the shaking in my seat. When I’m accelerating or decelerating i don’t feel anything. So frustrating. The truck has 300 miles on it

23 minutes ago, Camps said:

Did you ever get this resolved? I have that exact issue with my 2020 Sierra.

Nope. I Spoke to the dealer last week and they gave me a song and dance about being down techs.  Yada Yada Yada. And to bring it in October when there is a full crew. Also said he would set me up with a loaner, called yesterday and no loaner available until November. I'm just going to drop it off and we will make due with one car. Spoke to a lemon law attorney and have one more attempt or 14 more days out of service. I think that's the route I'm going to have to go. It's a shame as I used to really like my truck.