gas station

scottrbeam

2 hours ago, scottrbeam said:

best premum gas ?

Chevron.  Chevron is best for me, Mobil and Sunoco next in that order.  Prius drivers pick up about 6 MPG switching from Mobil to Chevron, I get about an extra MPG.

7 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Chevron.  Chevron is best for me, Mobil and Sunoco next in that order.  Prius drivers pick up about 6 MPG switching from Mobil to Chevron, I get about an extra MPG.

Prius?  Don't you blaspheme on here!  :D

• Haha 2

Ya' all know that gasoline is a federally controlled and chemically defined liquid.....right? There is more regulation on fuel than on your food or drugs in your drugstore. 

Top Tier by Merriam Webster :  of the highest level or rank with regard to quality, reputation, or importance Top-tier wines are the result of artisanal production techniques that demand rigorous attention to detail and, on occasion, financial sacrifice.

Marketing at work....again.....people paying people to beat a drum for profit. 

In the USA gas has to meet several test points that define the chemical range and makeup of the fuel. The Feds also control the minimums and amounts of additives used. About the only thing that isn't defined is cleanliness. However in most markets all refineries sell to the rack. A tank farm. Base fuels are not segregated. Additives are added as it is being loaded on the transport. Ethanol is an additive which is also regulated by the ATF. Detergents and corrosion inhibitors do have a Federal minimum BUT a particular station or chain my request an increased amount they agree to pay a 'rack' premium for. 

If your fuel varies, it is a variation caused by the station itself (contamination) OR your in such a small market your fuel comes directly from a small refinery OR local/state government has some added regulation ALL stations in that county or market are subject to. Several counties in Illinois, the 'collar' counties do have law regulated seasonal composition changes imposed on ALL stations in those counties that go beyond the normal "Reid Vapor Pressure" seasonal changes.

COSTCO is a top tier fuel supplier that sells rock bottom. What does that tell you about added cost for additives?

The only gasoline based fuel that has wild swings in additives, specifically ethanol, is E-85. 

In high school a life time ago, I pumped gas for Hudson Oil. They had one tiny refinery in Kansas. Down this eastern Iowa street was a Sinclair station (they have two small refineries in Wyoming -  still do), a Texaco and a Conoco. The same Sinclair tank wagon filled us all and on the same trip. How many Caseys or 7-11's  or Kwik Trips have refineries? COSTCO? SAMS?  

• Like 1

Best thing is to find a station that has a tanker truck there every week or so.  That way the fuel is always fresh.

As for premium run what you can afford.  These new trucks have a high compression compared to earlier models and so a higher octane is a benefit on the life of the engine.  Sure the computer can make adjustments but then you sacrifice performance for those adjustments and possible economy.  Detonation is a killer especially if you plan on keeping your vehicle a long time. 

8 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Best thing is to find a station that has a tanker truck there every week or so.  That way the fuel is always fresh.

We have no shortage of large chain truck stops in my area. They get a wagon almost daily. Loves, Pilot.....of course COSTCO. 

Fresh as a daisy. :)