6.0 tune needed after exhaust mods ?

Hi guys Need some advice - Just ordered jba shorties with arp header bolts and oem exhaust gaskets along with a magnaflow cat back exhaust dual exit and have an afe cold air intake installed.  My question is will I need a tune after doing the exhaust installs? 

Truck is a daily driver -10 to 15 miles back and forth to work ( not even 30,000 on truck ) little to no towing involved . Bought it to plow with ( boss 8'2 as v-plow )

Thank you for your reply Nick. Eventually I will get a full tune from black bear - my concern was if I would need it right off or if I could give it some time as I'll have to same up some more $ lol - I would really like to open up the trucks potential without major engine mods - don't need to be changing cam or making it a race truck - I figured the exhaust @ a minimum would help some

Thank you Cameron for your response. I'm curious to what you said about the jba not really being an upgrade from stock -- what it sounds like is I wasted money lol - do they not help?

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What are the best mods to get for the best bang for the buck. I am doing stuff before taking to the custom dyno tune near me. I haven't see a good deal of benefit of different intake. I do think an exhaust might help. Not sure a Cam is a big gain for the hassle it could be if it is not me installing it. Have a 2016 denali HD with 6.0L. Not a race truck as well. Would like the numbers for hp and tq in the 400s. 

On 6/26/2021 at 8:50 PM, Rico Swanson said:

What are the best mods to get for the best bang for the buck. I am doing stuff before taking to the custom dyno tune near me. I haven't see a good deal of benefit of different intake. I do think an exhaust might help. Not sure a Cam is a big gain for the hassle it could be if it is not me installing it. Have a 2016 denali HD with 6.0L. Not a race truck as well. Would like the numbers for hp and tq in the 400s. 

You aren't getting 400 flywheel hp with exhaust and a tune unless you are doing long tubes and a 93 tune or tune for both 93 and E85 as the 6.0 is factory flex fuel.  Otherwise you need to go cam or forced induction for power.  

Edited by newdude

To see real HP/TQ gains from a motor, you will need to increase the engine's ability to breath.

AKA: Long tube headers and exhaust, heads and cam. Once you have those, changing intake manifolds would be beneficial.