2020 2500 vs 3500 hd diesel

21 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

In the diesels, the 3500 has a bigger ring gear (12") and full torque in first gear; 2500 is torque limited in first gear and has an 11.5" ring gear.   

Is this very noticeable 

42 minutes ago, Akwagon said:

Is this very noticeable 

I have a 2020 3500 DRW; I don't really have any seat time in a 2020 2500, so I can't say if the difference is noticeable.  I can say the 2020 Duramax with the 10-speed tranny is the bees knees and it holds my 19k lbs. fiver at 70 mph rolling down the freeway nicely.  Its a fantastic engine/tranny combo.  

• 3 weeks later...

The 2500HD's are not torque limited in any gear as has been stated above.  The 2500HD's start from a stop in second gear in normal driving mode.  They only start in 1st. gear when in tow/haul mode.  That makes sense because the low 1st. gear is overkill when not pulling a load.

21 hours ago, unit said:

The 2500HD's are not torque limited in any gear as has been stated above.  The 2500HD's start from a stop in second gear in normal driving mode.  They only start in 1st. gear when in tow/haul mode.  That makes sense because the low 1st. gear is overkill when not pulling a load.

2500s have some very mild torque limiting in lower gears.  It's hard to tell difference between 2500 and 3500.  The 10 speeds start in 2nd gear unless in tow/haul for all models.

#iworkforGM 

• Like 1

Where did you get that information that 2500's are torque limited in any gear?  That goes against everything I've read about these trucks.

Below is an exact quote from Car and Driver Magazine:

"The optional engine remains the largely carryover 6.6-liter Duramax V-8 turbo-diesel—445 horses and 910 lb-ft—but is now mated to a 10-speed version of the excellent Allison automatic gearbox, up from the previous six-cog unit. The additional gears helped allow GM's engineers to lower the HD diesel's axle ratio from 3.73:1 to 3.42:1 to reduce engine speeds for a quieter ride when cruising. Although the Duramax falls short of the Ram HD's available 1000-lb-ft rating, the 10-speed combined with stronger drivetrain components allows diesel Silverado HDs to utilize their full amount of twist in first gear, unlike the previous models, which electronically limited the diesel's torque outputs. Among the myriad upgrades are larger, one-piece driveshafts and stouter axles with huge 11.5-inch ring gears on 2500HD models and full 12-inchers on the 3500HD".

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25384331/2020-chevrolet-silverado-hd-2500-3500-photos-info/

Many other sources say the same thing.

Edited by unit
Add content

20 hours ago, MTU Alum said:

2500s have some very mild torque limiting in lower gears.  It's hard to tell difference between 2500 and 3500.  The 10 speeds start in 2nd gear unless in tow/haul for all models.

#iworkforGM 

Any idea why GM would program very mild torque limiting that's hard to tell?   If it's that minor, why do it at all? 

3 hours ago, unit said:

Where did you get that information that 2500's are torque limited in any gear?  That goes against everything I've read about these trucks.

Below is an exact quote from Car and Driver Magazine:

"The optional engine remains the largely carryover 6.6-liter Duramax V-8 turbo-diesel—445 horses and 910 lb-ft—but is now mated to a 10-speed version of the excellent Allison automatic gearbox, up from the previous six-cog unit. The additional gears helped allow GM's engineers to lower the HD diesel's axle ratio from 3.73:1 to 3.42:1 to reduce engine speeds for a quieter ride when cruising. Although the Duramax falls short of the Ram HD's available 1000-lb-ft rating, the 10-speed combined with stronger drivetrain components allows diesel Silverado HDs to utilize their full amount of twist in first gear, unlike the previous models, which electronically limited the diesel's torque outputs. Among the myriad upgrades are larger, one-piece driveshafts and stouter axles with huge 11.5-inch ring gears on 2500HD models and full 12-inchers on the 3500HD".

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25384331/2020-chevrolet-silverado-hd-2500-3500-photos-info/

Many other sources say the same thing.

I wouldn't trust what you read.  I was at the media event with the journalists and the slide said 3500 models.  The journalists did not put a model in their article.  There are very few good journalists that understand trucks.

#iworkforGM 

I don't automatically trust what I read but multiple articles say the same thing. I gave but one example from a widely respected source. Why should I believe you know what you're talking about?  Show us the proof of your claim?

Edited by unit
Added wording.

2 hours ago, unit said:

I don't automatically trust what I read but multiple articles say the same thing. I gave but one example from a widely respected source. Why should I believe you know what you're talking about?  Show us the proof of your claim?

This was the closest proof I could find, but it’s definitely true

092C29A8-30FD-4E02-8C24-27679A840A51.png