2020 2500 vs 3500 hd diesel

The above example may be true, I don't doubt it, but it doesn't negate the fact that 2500's also deliver the all of the torque in first gear.  3500's are rated to tow more weight than a 2500 and thus a bigger ring gear.  The reason prior models limited torque was to save the transmission - not the rear end. The transmissions used in both 2500's and 3500's are identical.  There is no need to limit torque for one and not the other.  Give us concrete proof that 2500's limit torque or get out of Dodge! 

12 hours ago, brclark82 said:

This was the closest proof I could find, but it’s definitely true

092C29A8-30FD-4E02-8C24-27679A840A51.png

So I was at the dealer dropping my truck off this morning and was told the difference is between the 3500 DRW and the SRW HD's (whether 3500 or 2500).  So if comparisons are to be made it should be SRW's vs DRW's.  Dealer tech told me the axle on the 2500 and 3500 diesels are the same.  

12 hours ago, unit said:

The above example may be true, I don't doubt it, but it doesn't negate the fact that 2500's also deliver the all of the torque in first gear.  3500's are rated to tow more weight than a 2500 and thus a bigger ring gear.  The reason prior models limited torque was to save the transmission - not the rear end. The transmissions used in both 2500's and 3500's are identical.  There is no need to limit torque for one and not the other.  Give us concrete proof that 2500's limit torque or get out of Dodge! 

I don't really care that much, I was just trying to clarify what GM has been telling us from the beginning. Here is the final piece that I feel shows torque is limited in the 2500's.  If you don't think its true, thats fine too.  I'm sure its very little and barely noticable.

Go to his article directly from GM....https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/introducing-next-generation-sierra-heavy-duty#sierra-heavy-duty

Halfway down he page you will see this paragraph...the article is covering he entire HD line no just the 3500 so why would they single it out if it was true for both trucks?

3500.JPG

There is a very similar statement in this article

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/sierra-heavy-duty-purpose-built-to-trailer-like-pro#sierra-heavy-duty

It seems they don't talk about it much anymore but when they originally announced the new 2020 lineup and there was press info all over the place it seemed very clear.  I'm assuming GM has decided not to explicitly say the 2500 is limited because it makes it sound weaker when realistically it can't make that much difference, they just say the 3500 isn't limited.

1 hour ago, brclark82 said:

There is a very similar statement in this article

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/sierra-heavy-duty-purpose-built-to-trailer-like-pro#sierra-heavy-duty

It seems they don't talk about it much anymore but when they originally announced the new 2020 lineup and there was press info all over the place it seemed very clear.  I'm assuming GM has decided not to explicitly say the 2500 is limited because it makes it sound weaker when realistically it can't make that much difference, they just say the 3500 isn't limited.

Correct.  It's conflicting info though given what the tech is telling me.  When asked he said the 3500 DRW is not limited but the SRW 2500 and 3500 are...bit of a marketing word play on GM's part if you ask me.  Either way, not a big deal.

GM's own release:

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/feb/0205-silverado-hd-2020.html

New Allison® 10-speed transmission matched with proven Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel
“The 6.6L Duramax diesel and Allison® transmission is a legendary combination in the HD truck market with proven durability and capability that our customers expect,” said McQuaid. “For 2020, we made the combination even better and upgraded nearly every driveline component. As a result, we will deliver all 910 lb-ft of torque to the ground in first gear.”

• 3 weeks later...

if it is torque managed on the 2500, how much?

I am on the fence about 2500 vs 3500.

I don't need 3500 anymore, but may want it if there is significantly more power at take off.

also, only 1 3500 HD that I would want around me. (High County)

several 2500s (Denalis)

Edited by kylant

• 1 year later...

When I was test driving the truck, I noticed the difference was at about $1,000.  Asked why was that?  The tech replied that the trucks are identical, the only difference is the rear leaf springs.  That is only on the Single Wheel setup.  The Dual Wheel setup, is a different animal when it comes to the differential and rear suspension.

On previous posts, someone mentioned the 3500 breaking loose, I get the same with the 2500.  Is the same powerplant and transmission.

After driving my 2500, pulling my 43ft 5th wheel, I can say the truck pulls and drives nicely.  If I am not mistaken, I need to double check, the GVWR is about the same as the 3500.

My suggestion to GM is to drop one or the other.  Since both trucks are so close as far performance and almost identical in design.  I rather call it Silverardo HD SW (Single Wheel) or DW (Dual Wheel).  Perhaps is going to be cheaper and easier to produce and control one single model.  That is just a thought.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:45 PM, 2500W/T said:

When I was test driving the truck, I noticed the difference was at about $1,000.  Asked why was that?  The tech replied that the trucks are identical, the only difference is the rear leaf springs.  That is only on the Single Wheel setup.  The Dual Wheel setup, is a different animal when it comes to the differential and rear suspension.

On previous posts, someone mentioned the 3500 breaking loose, I get the same with the 2500.  Is the same powerplant and transmission.

After driving my 2500, pulling my 43ft 5th wheel, I can say the truck pulls and drives nicely.  If I am not mistaken, I need to double check, the GVWR is about the same as the 3500.

My suggestion to GM is to drop one or the other.  Since both trucks are so close as far performance and almost identical in design.  I rather call it Silverardo HD SW (Single Wheel) or DW (Dual Wheel).  Perhaps is going to be cheaper and easier to produce and control one single model.  That is just a thought.

On diesels, it is rear leaf springs, rear axle, rear shock, and rear tire pressure increases to 80 psi.

On gas models, rear axle is same.

#iworkforGM