2017 Silverado stabilitrak issues

I have a 2017 Silverado that started displaying  "Steering Assist is reduced Drive with care" and "Service Stabilitrak" in February shortly after the vehicle rolled over 60,000 KM.  I brought it to the the dealer and the first two visits were covered under warranty, but did not resolve the issue.  Went back two more times and spent approximately $1000 and the issue went away for a couple of weeks and the issue returned.  I have also had a case open with GM regarding this issue as it appears to be a common problem based on the numerous web searches i have done.  I would recommend anyone with this issue to put a call into GM and complain.  I would also be interested in hearing if anyone had this issue and made it go away.

18 hours ago, Geoff Fougere said:

I have a 2017 Silverado that started displaying  "Steering Assist is reduced Drive with care" and "Service Stabilitrak" in February shortly after the vehicle rolled over 60,000 KM.  I brought it to the the dealer and the first two visits were covered under warranty, but did not resolve the issue.  Went back two more times and spent approximately $1000 and the issue went away for a couple of weeks and the issue returned.  I have also had a case open with GM regarding this issue as it appears to be a common problem based on the numerous web searches i have done.  I would recommend anyone with this issue to put a call into GM and complain.  I would also be interested in hearing if anyone had this issue and made it go away.

Welcome to the site.

Can you give more details on what was attempted to be fixed, what repairs were done?

I will post what was done in the next day or so once i find the details.  I did recently buy a bluedriver code reader and the codes that were pulled are as follows:

Power Steering Control Module Codes

U0428 CURRENT/HISTORY/MIL
Invalid Data Received From Steering Angle Sensor Module

U0415 CURRENT/HISTORY
Invalid Data Received From Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module

U0126 CURRENT/HISTORY/MIL
Lost Communication With Steering Angle Sensor Module

C0544 CURRENT/HISTORY/MIL
Brake Pressure Sensor "B" Circuit/Open

Anti-Lock Brake System Codes

U0077 HISTORY
Control Module Communication Bus "E" Off

U0428 HISTORY

U0151 CURRENT/HISTORY/MIL
Lost Communication With Restraints Control Module

U0452 HISTORY
Invalid Data Received From Restraints Control Module

Human-Machine Interface Module Code

B127E HISTORY
No description available

I do know a sensor was replaced, there was a loose wire and they replaced a wiring harness.  After the wiring harness was replaced, it worked great for a couple of weeks and they started acting up again.  This issue was first reported when i was 500 KM past the warranty.  I shall post more details once i find them

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 6:05 PM, Geoff Fougere said:

I will post what was done in the next day or so once i find the details.  I did recently buy a bluedriver code reader and the codes that were pulled are as follows:

Power Steering Control Module Codes

U0428 CURRENT/HISTORY/MIL

U0415 CURRENT/HISTORY
Invalid Data Received From Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module

C0544 CURRENT/HISTORY/MIL
Brake Pressure Sensor "B" Circuit/Open

Anti-Lock Brake System Codes

U0077 HISTORY
Control Module Communication Bus "E" Off

U0428 HISTORY

U0151 CURRENT/HISTORY/MIL
Lost Communication With Restraints Control Module

U0452 HISTORY
Invalid Data Received From Restraints Control Module

Human-Machine Interface Module Code

B127E HISTORY
No description available

I do know a sensor was replaced, there was a loose wire and they replaced a wiring harness.  After the wiring harness was replaced, it worked great for a couple of weeks and they started acting up again.  This issue was first reported when i was 500 KM past the warranty.  I shall post more details once i find them

Any updates? Did this ever get solved?

I am happy to report that it has been resolved.  In the end it was a series of loos wires between two junction boxes.  Details of what was done are in the attached photos.   The first two visits were free and covered under warranty.  There were two visits to the dealer that were not reported...the first one they found nothing (which i had to pay for) and the other one they determined the problem was with the steering angle sensor at a cost of $2000+ to replace (diagnostic charge i had to pay for....did not pay proceed with this repair)  my wife was pissed and posted a negative review on the dealers facebook page which prompted a call from the general manager, followed up with a call by the service manager.  this resulted in the final visit which was covered by the dealer.  the steering sensor was not replaced, but instead the work listed in the picture label "gm final fix.jpg"  I have sense put about 2000 km on this vehicle on highways, back country roads, rough roads and the sensor has not come back on.  I had also opened a case with GM with the issue as well, which is not tottally resolved yet.  will post more on that when i have more info.

1st visit.jpg

2nd visit.jpg

3rd visit.jpg

GM final Fix.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 2016 GMC 1500 SLE has been in the shop 4 times now due to Stabilizer issues, lost of steering, etc.  They replaced all the cables and some box that sits up top of the battery.  All cables to the steering gear and some control module last time for not communicating.  Now it's back in the shop as of last Tuesday for not starting, lost of steering, etc.and I won't be getting it until this coming Monday.  This is an ongoing issue with all the vehicles that share the 1/2 ton chassis, Chevy and GMC. (2014--2018) Yup, I also have an ongoing claim with GMC as it being an unsafe vehicle.  Twice I have narrowly missed other vehicles when the steering goes south.  

What gets me is we, the consumer , has to pay thru the nose to have these issues fixed.  I myself put the truck up on my lift and went thru several of the service bulletins.  But my GOD, these trucks today have more sensors than NASA does on the Space Shuttle!  I have actually talked with several salesmen that actually traded their vehicles in and "Let someone else pay for the repairs!"  Not encouraging is it?  But we will see what happens on Monday next!  

Edited by Chicken Heart
spell check

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/2/2020 at 7:49 PM, Chicken Heart said:

My 2016 GMC 1500 SLE has been in the shop 4 times now due to Stabilizer issues, lost of steering, etc.  They replaced all the cables and some box that sits up top of the battery.  All cables to the steering gear and some control module last time for not communicating.  Now it's back in the shop as of last Tuesday for not starting, lost of steering, etc.and I won't be getting it until this coming Monday.  This is an ongoing issue with all the vehicles that share the 1/2 ton chassis, Chevy and GMC. (2014--2018) Yup, I also have an ongoing claim with GMC as it being an unsafe vehicle.  Twice I have narrowly missed other vehicles when the steering goes south.  

What gets me is we, the consumer , has to pay thru the nose to have these issues fixed.  I myself put the truck up on my lift and went thru several of the service bulletins.  But my GOD, these trucks today have more sensors than NASA does on the Space Shuttle!  I have actually talked with several salesmen that actually traded their vehicles in and "Let someone else pay for the repairs!"  Not encouraging is it?  But we will see what happens on Monday next!  

Hi I’m curious what was done and if your truck is fixed? I’ve had mine into the dealer now three times and they can’t tell me what is wrong with it.