As the title states, I hope I am not experiencing the chevy shudder in my brand new truck.  First of all I love the 3.0.  It  is great around town, is quiet, yet has enough diesel sound to satisfy me.  Just did a trip today that was mixed back roads and interstate and averaged 30 mpg. 

With that being said I only have 400 miles on the truck so I have not run it fast or hard.  I did notice on the interstate once I started accelerating (while in cruise control) and the rear end gave a terrible shudder.  The second time I was going up a hill and applied acceleration (maybe around 2200 rpm worth) and I got the same response. 

No issues around town and feeling of tranny slipping.  Tell me that the tranny is learning shift points/driving style and I'm not going to have to deal with the shudder.

Anyone else experience000 this on the diesel or 10 speed tranny?

Not sure if I've experienced the same thing as you but probably something similar. I have noticed when I'm on the highway in cruise control, if I push the increase speed button up to say increase from 65 mph to 70 mph setting, but I do that too quickly I will get a "jump" from the rear end like it's not shifting smoothly or wanting to do it quickly to catch up with what i'm telling the computer to do. So when increasing cruise control speed I usually just do it slowly and not quickly. Like over 5 seconds instead of a 5 mph increase in less than 1 second.  I have never felt anything when just using the accelerator pedal.

Congrats on the truck - I have 12K+ miles now on mine and LOVE it!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just got a 21, AT4 with the 3L. Love the thing. But less than 100 miles on it, I noticed it about 60-65mph on cruise control added a bit of gas when the whole rear end started shuddering. Let off the gas and it was fine. I had about a 100 mile commute to work and noticed it a few times during my drive. All seemed about the same speed. 

• 1 year later...

I had exactly what others have described with the shudder while accelerating.

took several trips to the dealer (they were great.  stuck with it) over about 9 months but seem to have gotten it fixed.

Mine is a '22.  service manager told me there was a TSB on '21 models to change the transmission valve train.

replace the one in my truck and I haven't been able to recreate the vibration.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TeamSaris said:

I dont think its a 3.0 only issue. My 5.3 10 spd just starting doing exactly that. 40k on the clock. I can't "make" it do it. But every once in a while from 55-75mph theres a very noticeable shake from the ass end. 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, TeamSaris.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2021 GMC Sierra Elevation X31. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: TeamSaris/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

On 1/20/2023 at 10:19 AM, bilge pump said:

I had exactly what others have described with the shudder while accelerating.

took several trips to the dealer (they were great.  stuck with it) over about 9 months but seem to have gotten it fixed.

Mine is a '22.  service manager told me there was a TSB on '21 models to change the transmission valve train.

replace the one in my truck and I haven't been able to recreate the vibration.  

Do you happen to know the TSB#, I have had the same issue since new (2020 Elevation 3.0) and the GMC service department has not been able to fix the issue. I will like to know the TSB# so next time I take it in I can ask them to look for the TSB and hopefully fix my issue, thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

My 2021 AT4 with the 3.0 diesel has a shuttering issue as well. This does not always happen, but sometimes when I’m in cruse control at 45 mph and run for about 5 to 10 minutes, then move the cruse selector up to 55 mph I get a violent “bump bump bump” shutters. It feels like when a universal joint goes bad, but the RPM’s stay the same (always around 1400 to 1500 RPM), or go slightly down, so it’s not the clutch slipping or the RPM’s would go up. 

i have gone to 2 GMC service centers and had two mechanics ride with me to replicate the problem, of course it wouldn’t happen. It has happened once with a rep inside on 3 different drive. 

Because it can’t be repeated consistently they can’t fix it. 

Anybody got any insight. 

Thanks in advance. 

On 3/2/2023 at 7:14 PM, WillySea said:

My 2021 AT4 with the 3.0 diesel has a shuttering issue as well. This does not always happen, but sometimes when I’m in cruse control at 45 mph and run for about 5 to 10 minutes, then move the cruse selector up to 55 mph I get a violent “bump bump bump” shutters. It feels like when a universal joint goes bad, but the RPM’s stay the same (always around 1400 to 1500 RPM), or go slightly down, so it’s not the clutch slipping or the RPM’s would go up. 

i have gone to 2 GMC service centers and had two mechanics ride with me to replicate the problem, of course it wouldn’t happen. It has happened once with a rep inside on 3 different drive. 

Because it can’t be repeated consistently they can’t fix it. 

Anybody got any insight. 

Thanks in advance. 

This is certainly not what we like to hear, WillySea.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2021 GMC AT4. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: WillySea/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 4 weeks later...

I had this happen on my 22 AT4 the other day, I think I can reproduce it but I'll have to test more on my next trip.

Cruise was set to 54mph, tap the brakes and slow down to 50 or so, tap the up to resume then immediately hold to increase speed to 65 and I got a bad shudder.  I did the same thing to try and reproduce and it happened again.  I'll try it out next time I drive and post if I can reproduce it again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 1:06 PM, clintyarborough said:

I had this happen on my 22 AT4 the other day, I think I can reproduce it but I'll have to test more on my next trip.

Cruise was set to 54mph, tap the brakes and slow down to 50 or so, tap the up to resume then immediately hold to increase speed to 65 and I got a bad shudder.  I did the same thing to try and reproduce and it happened again.  I'll try it out next time I drive and post if I can reproduce it again.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, clintyarborough.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2022 GMC Sierra AT4. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: clintyarborough/GM Trucks in the subject line.

www.gm.com

• 2 weeks later...