Trailer TPMS sensors loose signal

ShotgunKC,  I can send commands to the modules.  I have been able to control fans, HVAC blending motors, windows, locks, starter signals, etc..  it does quite a bit.  Great tool for troubleshooting.  To send commands to modules you will need the enhanced version.  If you want to reprogram the behavior of your lights it is not capable of that.     What exactly are you trying to do with the parking lights?  

1 hour ago, Mbower2020 said:

What exactly are you trying to do with the parking lights?  

I wanted to flash my parking lights but really the trailer marker lights to thank truckers who flash their lights to let me know it's clear to move back over after passing them. 

I was looking into an interrupt switch, but at 15 amps, I would want a relay and that made it more complicated. A friend suggested I look at the CAN BUS and sure enough I found a place that sells a module that will turn the factory lights into strobes for construction, emergency, etc. That module plugs directly into the BCM, so I assumed that I could probably do my own device using an ardiuno that specifically flashed the trailer parking lights on and off.

5 hours ago, Mbower2020 said:

ShotgunKC,  I can send commands to the modules.  I have been able to control fans, HVAC blending motors, windows, locks, starter signals, etc..  it does quite a bit.  Great tool for troubleshooting.  To send commands to modules you will need the enhanced version.  If you want to reprogram the behavior of your lights it is not capable of that.     What exactly are you trying to do with the parking lights?  

Can you reprogram any of the modules or is it just a diagnostic tool without reprogramming capabilities?

Last time I used AI was 15 years ago and it was diagnostic only back then. 

Its mainly a diagnostic tool with some ability to manipulate devices through the OBD2 port.  Browsing through the menus I have seen some ability to relearn some modules per say if you were going to replace.  But nothing to reprogram.  

Good luck with that one.  Over my head with the Arduino.  I would just push the hazard light button on the dashboard you get the same affect.  

I don't like that that much because it looks like you've hit your brakes just as you pulled in front of a semi.

All I need to do is figure out the signals on the bus and then I can use the Ardiuno to pass those signals when I want. I like it because now I'm not tapping or splitting into wiring.

On 3/24/2021 at 6:09 PM, ShogunKC said:

I don't like that that much because it looks like you've hit your brakes just as you pulled in front of a semi.

All I need to do is figure out the signals on the bus and then I can use the Ardiuno to pass those signals when I want. I like it because now I'm not tapping or splitting into wiring.

No it doesn’t. A couple flashing lights for a few seconds ain’t gonna confuse anyone. Especially a “professional driver”.  Europeans figured this move out decades ago. Sounds like your just trying to over complicate a simple move. 

similar, but unrelated issue i have. is there any way to increase the PSI reading on the sensors/truck? the max reading on my sensors is 102, but i need my trailer tires inflated to 110 PSI cold. the sensors are still helpful for tire temperature, but wondering if there is a workaround to increase the pressure reading?

Jhcfc,   you along with everyone else running heavy duty trailer tires with pressures exceeding 102 psi including myself has that issue.   No workaround  that I am aware of.  Hopefully GM will come up with fix soon.  I love the fact we have an integrated system to monitor pressure and temp it just needs its range extended to cover us individuals running tires at higher pressures.  We didn't buy heavy duty trucks to pull around landscape trailers, at least I didn't anyway.   Hope someone from GM is out there listening..

TPMS update,  good news just got back from a short trip.  The new extension worked great.   All 6 tires stayed connected.  I relocated the TPMS sensor to my trailer and mounted it in the center of the trailer about 15ft away from the furthest tire.  Thanks again everyone involved with this project.  Could not have done it without you.  When I get some time I will post some pics.  

On a side note anyone having trouble with the left side camera.  with the trailer connect and my left turn signal on while moving I have a blank screen.  Anyone encountered this problem?  

Thanks all, Mike

On 4/6/2021 at 5:52 PM, Mbower2020 said:

TPMS update,  good news just got back from a short trip.  The new extension worked great.   All 6 tires stayed connected.  I relocated the TPMS sensor to my trailer and mounted it in the center of the trailer about 15ft away from the furthest tire.  Thanks again everyone involved with this project.  Could not have done it without you.  When I get some time I will post some pics.  

On a side note anyone having trouble with the left side camera.  with the trailer connect and my left turn signal on while moving I have a blank screen.  Anyone encountered this problem?  

Thanks all, Mike

Nice work, man.  My 40' 5th wheel, tandem axle, drops the back left tire out intermittently. Good news is that it does go in and out, so I get a reading some of the time. More importantly, it does not error out the entire TTPMS system when it drops off. I think the over the air update I got a few weeks ago corrected that. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread for a lot of great info.  What I learned is that for my 20' dual axle box trailer, I may be able to get away with just moving the receiver on the truck.  I attached a length of 1" wide steel bar to a bracket behind the license plate and moved the receiver to where you see it in the below photo.  I was able to do this using the existing service loop and connector, so no need to add an extra length of cable.  Test so far have shown that this method works great.  We'll see how well it works in the rain.  It's somewhat protected by the spare tire, so I don't anticipate any failures.  Then again, we don't get much rain here in SoCal.

IMG_3839.thumb.jpg.ef9a6e1523d693d8a233ca48ceba6aef.jpgThanks