Trailer TPMS sensors loose signal

Great info on this thread.  I lost my entire trailer tire pressure program. Can't get to first base with it.  Dealer can't figure it out either.  This was after a system upgrade was installed.  Any ideas as to why I lost the whole shebang??

On 3/21/2021 at 5:31 PM, Mbower2020 said:

Here are some pics.

DSCN3180.JPG

DSCN3181.JPG

Mike I just tried to relocate my module. I made up a cable 22 gauge twisted shielded. I made up the ends and ran it under my trailer. I had the module 16 feet away from the furthest tire. I ran 22 gauge 2 pair twisted shielded about 53 feet long. I tried to relocated the module under the trailer and the truck didn't seem to recognize a receiver was present. I rang out the cable and its all good. I also put the receiver back on the truck and it recognizes it?  I ran out of time so next week I plan on taking a voltage reading as the only thing different is you had 20 gauge power wire.  I might try that also.  I'll let everyone know what's happening.

Chuck K

On 5/13/2021 at 10:35 AM, whtnukl said:

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread for a lot of great info.  What I learned is that for my 20' dual axle box trailer, I may be able to get away with just moving the receiver on the truck.  I attached a length of 1" wide steel bar to a bracket behind the license plate and moved the receiver to where you see it in the below photo.  I was able to do this using the existing service loop and connector, so no need to add an extra length of cable.  Test so far have shown that this method works great.  We'll see how well it works in the rain.  It's somewhat protected by the spare tire, so I don't anticipate any failures.  Then again, we don't get much rain here in SoCal.

IMG_3839.thumb.jpg.ef9a6e1523d693d8a233ca48ceba6aef.jpgThanks

I’m curious if this is still working well for you?  My rear most axle on our TT is just barely outside 23’ and it seems your solution is the easiest/best option. 

On 5/16/2021 at 3:06 PM, Gecko50 said:

Mike I just tried to relocate my module. I made up a cable 22 gauge twisted shielded. I made up the ends and ran it under my trailer. I had the module 16 feet away from the furthest tire. I ran 22 gauge 2 pair twisted shielded about 53 feet long. I tried to relocated the module under the trailer and the truck didn't seem to recognize a receiver was present. I rang out the cable and its all good. I also put the receiver back on the truck and it recognizes it?  I ran out of time so next week I plan on taking a voltage reading as the only thing different is you had 20 gauge power wire.  I might try that also.  I'll let everyone know what's happening.

Chuck K

Ok a little ketchup, I ran a 18 gauge pair of red / black cable. I intercepted the 22 gauge cable about 6 inches from the ends. I also verified the cable was getting power to the end. It now powers up the TMPS and it was recognized the TMPS receiver.  I had the receiver on the ground adjacent to the wall of the trailer. I got 1 tire to see in the truck. The others I was not able to get the truck to see it. I stopped and put things away for now. I am waiting for a Deusch military bulk head connector to use in the bed of the truck next to the trailer / cam plugs. When I get that I will put it all together. I'll take the trailer for a rid to wake up all the tire sensors. Then again try to get the truck to recognize the tire sensor.

Chuck

On a second note, I understand someone had a problem that the tire blew out before the TMPS monitor in the truck responded. A passerby flagged down the driver as the tire was shredded and nothing was left but rim? Any one check how long or the response time from a tire problem to the dash display?

Gecko, just read your post.  Looks like you got the power and signal end taken care of.   As for communications to each tire make sure the face of the module is facing the wheels.  From what I read this works by line of sight.  I will post some instillation pictures today of how my rig is set up.   

Just for notes here on the forum I made another extension cable for my truck so I don't have to keep climbing under the truck to plug in the TPMS sensor to the connector behind the license plate.   So now I have 2 jumper cables between the truck and the module which is mounted the trailer permanently   Total length around 43'.   Been working flawlessly.  

As for the blown tire I think the sensors transmit every 30 seconds or if it detects a significant pressure change.  Not sure what the circumstances were but if normal tire pressure is around 95 or above as the tire heats you cap off at 102.  After that you are in the dark as far as pressure goes.  At that point I monitor temperature.  Usually my tires are within 5-10 degrees of each other.  If I was to see something outside of that range I know I have a issue.  If it is not reporting the truck should pick up on that.    

Here are some pics of how I set up my trailer.  I have no longer experienced any connection issues.  

#183 Module mounted center of trailer @ 15' from furthest tire angled slightly downward

#184 pic from behind last axle

#184 short extension from original module location behind license plate, this connects to extension I made for new module location on trailer.  

DSCN3183.JPG

DSCN3184_LI.jpg

DSCN3185_LI.jpg

To Sher715:  Please excuse the late reply.  I didn't get a notice about your question.  It's still working great for me.  Then again, I don't have a lot of miles on it.  I've towed the trailer twice since making the mod and it worked as designed both times.  If you're having issues, it's an easy mod and worth a try.

11 minutes ago, whtnukl said:

To Sher715:  Please excuse the late reply.  I didn't get a notice about your question.  It's still working great for me.  Then again, I don't have a lot of miles on it.  I've towed the trailer twice since making the mod and it worked as designed both times.  If you're having issues, it's an easy mod and worth a try.

Thanks!  It’s going to be on my list of things to do. Need to but the sensors and have them mounted as well. 

• 1 month later...

Mike,

I have been searching Amazon for the parts. Would it be possible to get the part numbers for the shielded wire? And what was the diameter of the loom you used? I love this forum. I used info to extend my trailer camera wiring and all worked well, now to this one.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I traded my 2020 3500 GMC for a 2021, it was no different as far as the signal went. i just went on a long trip. before i went I moved the antenna to the outside of the license plate to see if that helped. It did. I have a tri axle Toy Hauler and before moving the antenna i was constantly getting messages for loss of signal on the rear wheels & also the center axle. I now will get a message for the rear wheels abut once an hour which is much more tolerable.

52 minutes ago, Andrew Best said:

I moved the antenna to the outside of the license plate to see if that helped. It did. 

Did you move the entire module or just the antenna? I thought that the module didn't really have an external antenna. 

On 8/31/2021 at 2:08 PM, ShogunKC said:

Did you move the entire module or just the antenna? I thought that the module didn't really have an external antenna. 

On 8/31/2021 at 2:08 PM, ShogunKC said:

I moved what I believed to be the antenna. There are two that clip on a m0unting plate behind the license plate on one bracket. The smaller one I believe is for the keyless remote & the larger one is for the sensors. I just disconnected it from the bracket and used one of my tag bolts to connect outside the tag temporarily. There was enough slack to do so. I can take a photo latter today and post if you would like.

5 hours ago, Andrew Best said:

I moved what I believed to be the antenna. There are two that clip on a m0unting plate behind the license plate on one bracket. The smaller one I believe is for the keyless remote & the larger one is for the sensors. I just disconnected it from the bracket and used one of my tag bolts to connect outside the tag temporarily. There was enough slack to do so. I can take a photo latter today and post if you would like.

Yes there are 2 modules. The thin one with a clip on each end is for the keyless entry. The larger rectangular one is the TMPS trailer system. I did orient the module under my trailer so it faces the 3 axle tires, under the trailer. I am no more than 12 feet from the box to the furthest tire. I am not finished yet but maybe this weekend. I also did orient the module to face. The same way it was on the truck in case it had a internal antenna.