Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

I have a tri-axle 5th wheel toy hauler I installed the correct tpms sensors in. going down the road it looses signal sometimes to the rear or center axle wheels. Upon questioning my dealer I was told they only have a range of 23 feet from the back bumper of my truck. 23 feet reaches the front of my center axle tires.  I did not find this information on the GMC accessory website when ordering the sensors or in the owners manual. If this is correct it should be disclosed when using the feature as a selling point.

 

has anyone had this issue and found a repeater or anyway to make the system work at a distance of over 23 feet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just ordered the TireMinder Rhino booster for the helluvit.  It is 433 mhz, but they said it would not be compatible.  However, there is no "learning" or other pairing to do, so I am hoping it will

I called Rhino tech support and they said in the near future (?) there were thinking of making a repeater for the GM vehicles to help people that need a repeater.   Chuck

Gentleman, I think I found the connectors at Amazon.  Gecko50's post got me thinking.  Like everyone else I have the same issue with little to no help from GM.  I am going to attempt removing the reci

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Andrew Best said:

I have a tri-axle 5th wheel toy hauler I installed the correct tpms sensors in. going down the road it looses signal sometimes to the rear or center axle wheels. Upon questioning my dealer I was told they only have a range of 23 feet from the back bumper of my truck. 23 feet reaches the front of my center axle tires.  I did not find this information on the GMC accessory website when ordering the sensors or in the owners manual. If this is correct it should be disclosed when using the feature as a selling point.

 

has anyone had this issue and found a repeater or anyway to make the system work at a distance of over 23 feet?

I've been having issues with my 5th wheel as well.  I haven't tried to troubleshoot yet, but I am going to check the receiver behind the license plate to see if there is a way to add a bigger/better antenna.  I wish there was a booster available to put on the trailer like TST systems have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just ordered the TireMinder Rhino booster for the helluvit.  It is 433 mhz, but they said it would not be compatible.  However, there is no "learning" or other pairing to do, so I am hoping it will sync.  Amazon, so I will return it if it does not work.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 5:51 PM, Tomato said:

Didn't work.  Manufacturer website and their answer to a question on Amazon said 433 mhz. Opened the package and printed right on the unit was 433.92 mhz...

I called Rhino tech support and they said in the near future (?) there were thinking of making a repeater for the GM vehicles to help people that need a repeater.

 

Chuck

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't necessarily helpful to your thread but I wanted to say thanks!

This week I'm jumping two feet into a high-tech truck and 5th wheel combo and had a panic attack at the RV dealer over all this stuff.

Glad to see i'm not crazy. 

I didn't get a loaded LTZ to stick a bunch of 3rd party screens all over my windshield haha.... looks like i've got my work cut out for me between moving the camera ports to the bed, wiring my own GM camera(s) and getting the GM TPMS to work.

Big thanks to this forum! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

I work for a GMC dealership. It has been a frustrating experience for me with no help from GM. If it is further than 23' to any of the tires on your trailer from your back bumper, I don't know if I would waste the money like I did having the sensors installed., They will work but keep dropping signal. When they drop signal you get an error message on the dash you have to keep dismissing. If someone comes up with a compatible repeater I'm sure it will solve this issue. My aftermarket TST system worked fine. I had a 2019 before the 2020 and one of the main reasons I  stepped up to a 2020 was the improved technology features which in my opinion were misrepresented by General Motors.

trailer tpm2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if extending the receiver out closer to the trailer would work.  

 

So for example, get a 13314098 pigtail for the trailer TPM module in the bumper, add say 10ft of wiring to that (accounting for turns and mounting) pigtail and splice it into the truck harness, then mount the sensor on the trailer so its closer to the axles. 

 

Ideally, finding the matching end to that connector would work the best so it could then just be a removable jumper harness instead of having to cut the end off the truck side and splice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 6:17 AM, newdude said:

I wonder if extending the receiver out closer to the trailer would work.  

 

So for example, get a 13314098 pigtail for the trailer TPM module in the bumper, add say 10ft of wiring to that (accounting for turns and mounting) pigtail and splice it into the truck harness, then mount the sensor on the trailer so its closer to the axles. 

 

Ideally, finding the matching end to that connector would work the best so it could then just be a removable jumper harness instead of having to cut the end off the truck side and splice.

I was rooting around the GM sites and came across this interesting tid bit on the TMPS materials and some part numbers. If this helps or you do extend the TMPS unit behind the rear license plate let us know on the effective range. Please do not forget if you relocate the unit it may also affect the front tires. But you were wondering the part numbers this illustration may help on those part numbers at your local dealer. According to this information you would only need 4 wires. 2 were polarity and 2 are the LAN signals.

 

Chuck

 1472403233_TMPSInfo.thumb.jpg.86d592d36304c6830f5ac695b5af9720.jpg

Edited by Gecko50
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Gecko50 said:

I was rooting around the GM sites and came across this interesting tid bit on the TMPS materials and some part numbers. If this helps or you do extend the TMPS unit behind the rear license plate let us know on the effective range. Please do not forget if you relocate the unit it may also affect the front tires. But you were wondering the part numbers this illustration may help on those part numbers at your local dealer. According to this information you would only need 4 wires. 2 were polarity and 2 are the LAN signals.

 

Chuck

 

 

 

The truck's TPM sensors don't operate through the Trailer TPM module.  They communicate to the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver, so moving the trailer TPM module should pose no effect on the truck's sensors.  

 

The connector end you've pulled up is the one that plugs into the module, yes.  The hard part is finding the opposite end to that connector (aka a connector end that matches the trailer TPM module) to then make a removable jumper harness.  Sure, you could clip the truck side connector, get this pigtail and wire in an extension, but that would be a PITA when you go to hook and unhook the trailer.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, newdude said:

 

 

The truck's TPM sensors don't operate through the Trailer TPM module.  They communicate to the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver, so moving the trailer TPM module should pose no effect on the truck's sensors.  

 

The connector end you've pulled up is the one that plugs into the module, yes.  The hard part is finding the opposite end to that connector (aka a connector end that matches the trailer TPM module) to then make a removable jumper harness.  Sure, you could clip the truck side connector, get this pigtail and wire in an extension, but that would be a PITA when you go to hook and unhook the trailer.  

20201014_095213-1.thumb.jpg.0cce840e6fd3da7849ae237b80bee565.jpg

 

Ok I do have a antenna for the remote control door lock antenna. This is physically located adjacent to the trailer TMPS module. I also have the connector for the antenna. If anyone has the wiring info this would help. There is 2 wires that feed to this antenna I could use a DVM and  get polarity on the existing wiring. I was wondering what would happen IF I parallel  both antennas with the second antenna located on the trailer? I would locate it about 12 feet back from the bumper. This in  theory would or maybe extend the signals. Anyone here knows? Is the wiring only a + and - polarity OR is it signal related wire feeds signals? New Dude you have any info?

 

Thanks 

Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gecko50 said:

20201014_095213-1.thumb.jpg.0cce840e6fd3da7849ae237b80bee565.jpg

 

Ok I do have a antenna for the remote control door lock antenna. This is physically located adjacent to the trailer TMPS module. I also have the connector for the antenna. If anyone has the wiring info this would help. There is 2 wires that feed to this antenna I could use a DVM and  get polarity on the existing wiring. I was wondering what would happen IF I parallel  both antennas with the second antenna located on the trailer? I would locate it about 12 feet back from the bumper. This in  theory would or maybe extend the signals. Anyone here knows? Is the wiring only a + and - polarity OR is it signal related wire feeds signals? New Dude you have any info?

  

Thanks 

Chuck

 

 

That is only for the keyless entry.  Its the antenna to passive open the tailgate.  Has nothing to do with TPM systems, both for the truck and the trailer.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.