Trailer TPMS sensors loose signal

1 minute ago, newdude said:

That is only for the keyless entry.  Its the antenna to passive open the tailgate.  Has nothing to do with TPM systems, both for the truck and the trailer.  

New Dude so thats a answer I was looking for. So that means the TMPS module with the earlier drawings I showed, you say the connector is hard to get. Which one is that. I might try and have my local parts dept. order this with the entire module. If I get a new module and wiring to relocate a "new" module on my trailer and run a 4 wire cable to the new module location will that work. I might also use a different cable connector deusch connector (I have the necessary tools) and it would be easier to connect and it would make it so the hard to get connector is not a problem when I replace with a new type in line connector. I would if possible run it parallel? or just disconnect and reconnect the 4 pin cable connector. That would stop power and signal when  when I disconnect and reconnect? would this trip a code or?? What info could you get me? which way would be best scenario? Would the interruption affect the "high speed GLAN" system when the cable is run parallel or ?

Chuck 

21 minutes ago, Gecko50 said:

New Dude so thats a answer I was looking for. So that means the TMPS module with the earlier drawings I showed, you say the connector is hard to get. Which one is that. I might try and have my local parts dept. order this with the entire module. If I get a new module and wiring to relocate a "new" module on my trailer and run a 4 wire cable to the new module location will that work. I might also use a different cable connector deusch connector (I have the necessary tools) and it would be easier to connect and it would make it so the hard to get connector is not a problem when I replace with a new type in line connector. I would if possible run it parallel? or just disconnect and reconnect the 4 pin cable connector. That would stop power and signal when  when I disconnect and reconnect? would this trip a code or?? What info could you get me? which way would be best scenario? Would the interruption affect the "high speed GLAN" system when the cable is run parallel or ?

Chuck 

No.  Trying to find the mating end for the 13314098 pigtail connector for the Trailer Tire Pressure module that's in the bumper is the issue.  Either TE Connectivity or Aptiv are the supplier of that connector, and neither of them on their websites can I find the opposite end to 1367945, nor could I find that number end to begin with other than from GM under the service pigtail #13314098.

46 minutes ago, newdude said:

No.  Trying to find the mating end for the 13314098 pigtail connector for the Trailer Tire Pressure module that's in the bumper is the issue.  Either TE Connectivity or Aptiv are the supplier of that connector, and neither of them on their websites can I find the opposite end to 1367945, nor could I find that number end to begin with other than from GM under the service pigtail #13314098.

New Dude, ok lets say we can't get the matching connector part number. But IF I was to make a deusch 4 pin connector that would be soldered into the existing 4 wire harness to the existing TMPS module. I could disconnect the new in line deusch connector and connect it to another deusch connector to a new TMPS module mounted on my trailer. I would disconnect the existing TMPS module with that deusch connector and connect to the trailer TMPS module would this disconnect and reconnect create any codes or issues. I am talking on cutting the factor 4 wire harness and installing my deusch 4 pin connector. I could order a 4 pin bulk head deusch connector and mount this adjacent to my relocated bed camera location with the 7 pin trailer harness? Could this be acceptable? I know this is a one of a kind type connector and harness? Is the existing GM wiring for the "high speed GMLAN serial data (+) 9 sensitive to wire type for signals? 

Chuck

1 hour ago, Gecko50 said:

New Dude, ok lets say we can't get the matching connector part number. But IF I was to make a deusch 4 pin connector that would be soldered into the existing 4 wire harness to the existing TMPS module. I could disconnect the new in line deusch connector and connect it to another deusch connector to a new TMPS module mounted on my trailer. I would disconnect the existing TMPS module with that deusch connector and connect to the trailer TMPS module would this disconnect and reconnect create any codes or issues. I am talking on cutting the factor 4 wire harness and installing my deusch 4 pin connector. I could order a 4 pin bulk head deusch connector and mount this adjacent to my relocated bed camera location with the 7 pin trailer harness? Could this be acceptable? I know this is a one of a kind type connector and harness? Is the existing GM wiring for the "high speed GMLAN serial data (+) 9 sensitive to wire type for signals? 

Chuck

I suppose that would work.  You would need to use the proper matching gauge TXL wire (which is what GM uses).  

So you'd have to Deutsch end the truck side, then Deutsch the one end of the jumper, and add 13314098 to the other end for the trailer TPMS module that would be attached say on the trailer.  

I did check the service manual on wiring repairs, and found this:

The DuraSeal splice sleeves have the following 2 critical features:

• A special heat shrink sleeve environmentally seals the splice. The heat shrink sleeve contains a sealing adhesive inside.
  • A cross hatched (knurled) core crimp provides necessary contact integrity for the sensitive, low energy circuits.

GM Local Area Network (GMLAN) and Controller Area Network (CAN) serial data circuits require special wiring repair procedures due to the sensitive nature of the circuitry. Follow the specific procedures and instructions when working on GMLAN and CAN connectors and terminals. Local Interconnect Network (LIN) serial data circuits do not require any special wiring repair procedure.

GMLAN and CAN Repairs

Note: When making a repair to any GMLAN or CAN network, the original wire length after the repair must be the same length as before the repair. If the network is a twisted pair, the twist must be maintained after the repair is completed.

Low speed GMLAN has a single wire and communicates at a slower speed. High speed GMLAN and CAN has two wires in a twisted pair and works at higher speeds. For more information on GMLAN and CAN serial data protocol, refer to Data Link Communications Description and Operation.

GMLAN and CAN Connector Terminal Repair

Note: A terminated lead can be used to replace damaged connector terminals for both GMLAN and CAN systems. When making a connector terminal repair on a GMLAN high speed system or CAN with twisted pair wires, do not untwist the wires more than necessary to make the repair.

If the individual terminals are damaged on any GMLAN or CAN connection, use the appropriate connector repair procedure in order to repair the terminal. Refer to Connector Repairs for the appropriate connector repair procedure.

GMLAN and CAN Wire Repair

Note: Refer to Wiring Repairs in the service information connector end views or the vehicle schematics in order to determine the correct wire size for the circuit you are repairing. You must obtain this information in order to ensure circuit integrity.

If any wire except the pigtail is damaged, repair the wire by splicing in a new section of wire of the same gauge size (0.5 mm², 0.8 mm², 1.0 mm² etc.). Use the DuraSeal splice sleeves and EL-38125-10 tool. For wiring repair, refer to Special Tools.

Thank you for everyone's comments. Moving the antenna to the trailer sounds like an option. I really think a repeater would make more sense if someone would manufacture one that is compatible. I'm not electrically inclined. Does anyone know if Removing the factory plug and replacing it with a generic male and female plug so you could relocate the antenna close to the trailer axels would affect its performance?

Andy

On 10/18/2020 at 9:32 AM, Gecko50 said:

I was rooting around the GM sites and came across this interesting tid bit on the TMPS materials and some part numbers. If this helps or you do extend the TMPS unit behind the rear license plate let us know on the effective range. Please do not forget if you relocate the unit it may also affect the front tires. But you were wondering the part numbers this illustration may help on those part numbers at your local dealer. According to this information you would only need 4 wires. 2 were polarity and 2 are the LAN signals.

Chuck

1472403233_TMPSInfo.thumb.jpg.86d592d36304c6830f5ac695b5af9720.jpg

Isn’t the receiver for the trailer TPMS right behind the license plate?

I would try removing my rear plate from the stock position. An aluminum plate is a good way to block a radio signal at 433 Mhz

Tape the plate to the rear of the truck and drive around the neighborhood a while.

If the third axle TPMS sensors work without the plate attenuating the signal then you can invest more time into trying the move the receiver / antenna. If it doesn’t work you’ll need to wait for a repeater solution.

I have three trailers set up with the TPMS sensors but two of them are single axle and the third is a double axle so I haven’t seen the problem with losing the signal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 5 weeks later...

Found this today when diving into this again after three weeks of conversations with GM going nowhere. I believe these are the male and female connectors needed from Connector Experts (866-330-6557). We use them all the time in our body shop. If anyone has been successful in extending their range please let me know.

TPMS Connector 2.jpg

TPMS Connector.jpg

19 hours ago, Andrew Best said:

Found this today when diving into this again after three weeks of conversations with GM going nowhere. I believe these are the male and female connectors needed from Connector Experts (866-330-6557). We use them all the time in our body shop. If anyone has been successful in extending their range please let me know.

TPMS Connector 2.jpg

TPMS Connector.jpg

Thanks for finding a outlet for the wire connector. We really need the transmitter terminal female plug in. That would allow us to make a extension cable to utilize. So I see we now have 2 sources of the male cable ends. So please continue to search or talk to your sources for the other end that is on the transmitter.

Thanks

Chuck

The lower photo part number CE4003M is the female end. I verified this with connector experts through a phone call. Both ends are pinned and Have 8" of wire. I just have no electrical background and do not know how making up an extension harness would effect the operation. That is why I am hesitant to buy the connectors and run an extension wire to the trailer to mount the antenna there myself.

• 4 weeks later...

started a thread about the same thing.  Didn't know that signal traveled only 23 feet.  I discovered that by removing the license plate made improvement but I still lost 1 or 2 of the rear wheels on my tri axle toy hauler.  Was thinking of relocation receiver myself.  Dealer no help.  They just told me that GM was aware of the problem.  

I think as many people as possible need to contact GM customer assistance and set up a case like I did. maybe if there is enough cases filed they will fix the issue!

I work for a GMC dealership and keep checking for new information. I'm sure the fix is as simple as offering a repeater for the signal like the aftermarket systems use but I can't find anyone with GM that seems to care to help with the situation. I think the wires could be extended to the trailer and the antenna mounted there. That would be a big hassle and expense that is unnecessary in my opinion. It would also you to only using the system on one trailer.

I installed my 4 TPMS on my travel trailer with new tires, the truck picked up all 4 when I used the TPMS sensor tool. I unhooked the trailer, it sat for 4 days, I hooked back up to it and the truck does not find any of the sensors? I tried relearning with the sensor tool and nothing. Any ideas?

I installed my 4 TPMS on my travel trailer with new tires, the truck picked up all 4 when I used the TPMS sensor tool. I unhooked the trailer, it sat for 4 days, I hooked back up to it and the truck does not find any of the sensors? I tried relearning with the sensor tool and nothing. Any ideas?

Mine always loses the signal after the trailers sit for a few days.

After I hook up the trailer and drive for 1/2-1 mile they reconnect. I’m pretty sure the TPMS sensors go to sleep when they haven’t moved for a while.

If they didn’t the battery life would be pretty short.

This is also a good reason to drive the trailer around for a couple of miles before trying to pair the sensors to the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro