AFM Delete.. Will it pass emission's?

I have a 2013 Silverado with 152,000 miles and I already disabled the AFM with a turner. Now a lifter is knocking, and I'm debating on a AFM delete but I'm not sure if I'll pass emission. Will I pass emission with a delete or any recommendations on who has the best delete kit and or should I fix it and put OEM parts from GM.

Thanks

I did a delete on my 2014 Silverado 5.3 because of a collapsed lifter got all parts including non afm cam for about 830$ and found a guy to install for 500$ at his house (it was his side job worked at Chevy dealership) did tune but that wasn’t included and that was 35,000 miles ago... oh yeah 100$ for the tow and 100$ for new fluids

Edited by Frankielozano214

A custom tune is required for the complete AFM delete. The VVT camshaft has to be disabled if you remove it and go with a non VVT camshaft, all those codes and the AFM codes need to be turned off. It will pass an OBD2 emission check if all things are done correctly with the settings.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I did an AFM repair and delete in a 2007 Suburban 5.3L with 134,000 miles on it.  One lifter kept sticking off and on and oil pressure was fluctuating.  While the lifter was working properly I tore it down.  Removed the VLOM valley pan tray, replaced with a non AFM unit.  Installed a new Oil Pressure sender.  Removed the oil pan and replaced the Oil Pump Oring and eliminated the secondary oil Pressure by pass, just plugged it.  Had to go into the GM computer and it actually asks you if the engine has AFM, say No.   It eliminates AFM 100% so the computer never looks for it again.   In California this engine passed smog with flying colors.  Oil Pressure went from around 20 at idle to 55 at idle while hot.   The MPG in this Suburban probably dropped by 1.5 MPG but there is no more fear of being stranded with a $4,000 repair to replace a lifter.  That is how I did it in this truck.   Now I have another one, a 2008 and danged if it does not have the very same issue.   I think the truck will never live long enough to recover the expense of replacing an AFM system with the same. I think I will eliminate the AFM on this second truck also and know it is more reliable but maybe a little less efficient.   I hope the cam is good still in this one but it is noisy and I don't know how long they drove it with the noise so it may need a cam also.   It does take someone with good GM computer knowledge to access the changes in the computer.   Usually someone will do it for around $100.  It takes about an hour and they have to have the proper equipment not just a scan tool.   PS:  when you remove the VLOM manifold there are oil feed holes from the original AFM system, I left these open, did not plug them.  It does bleed off some oil pressure but I learned it you plug these your old AFM lifters will activate and disable the 4 cylinders permanently which is not what you wish to do.   They run fine as an 8 cylinder, much smoother 100% of the time.   Just burn a little more fuel.

To be absolutely clear, my lifters were all working at the time I disabled so I did not have to release them I disabled them while in the 8 cylinder mode.  I kept the factory cam and all of the factory  lifters intact, they are just now permanently disabled and it runs quiet and smooth.   If any were stuck or broken replacement would have been mandatory so my fix will not work for every failure.

Edited by Westlotorn