Will Borla XR1 with headers no cats drone

Just like the title says will it drone.  I have a magnaflow 12909 now on my cammed L86 with full bolt-ons with headers no cats.  And want a tad more bark,  this muffler really tones down the cam at idle.  And WOT it seem a-little to raspy.  Almost tin can sounding.  The wife drives a Scat pack 6.4 with muffler delete and dynomax bullets in thier place.  Anything I could do to get my truck to sound closer to her car would be great.  Because that thing is music to my hears LOL.  I had a 12909 on my last 2008 6.2 and liked it but this Direct engine sounds a-little different.

I pull a wakeboard boat all summer, so I need to keep the drone to a minimal for my families sake.

6 hours ago, JONBLARC7 said:

I watched some videos of the Atak and it sounds nice.  But I'm looking to just swap mufflers since I already have 3.5" pipes.

Your going to want a multicore xr1 then. The catbacks a single in - dual out.

43 minutes ago, JONBLARC7 said:

Can you explain why??

The mutlticore is the same tech that's inside the borla attack. Something to do with tubing in the muffler that produces different exhaust notes. That being said I've read that the attack drones, and will be insanely loud with headers. So figuring out which xr1 muffler to go with would take trial and error. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

The mutlticore is the same tech that's inside the borla attack. Something to do with tubing in the muffler that produces different exhaust notes. That being said I've read that the attack drones, and will be insanely loud with headers. So figuring out which xr1 muffler to go with would take trial and error. 

Well I'm going too stick with a XR1.  The 12909 is no louder than a stock muffler.  It's just a-little deeper.  When you add headers and no cats it gets much louder.

I can get the XR1 in the round 15"x5" round case.  And from reading comments on YouTube the round XR1 is suppose to be less raspy.  The 12909 is a 22" body and if I go down to a 15" body on a XR1 I should pick up the little bit of sound I want.

4 hours ago, JONBLARC7 said:

Well I'm going too stick with a XR1.  The 12909 is no louder than a stock muffler.  It's just a-little deeper.  When you add headers and no cats it gets much louder.

I can get the XR1 in the round 15"x5" round case.  And from reading comments on YouTube the round XR1 is suppose to be less raspy.  The 12909 is a 22" body and if I go down to a 15" body on a XR1 I should pick up the little bit of sound I want.

Shoot me a fair price on your 12909 and I might take it off your hands :)

• 2 months later...
On 10/23/2020 at 7:42 AM, JONBLARC7 said:

I believe the 15x5 xr1 is the one I have, its pretty dang loud. Still quiets nicely at idle. But wot its pretty dang loud. Just a muffler swap and resonator deleted. Dumped after the axle. Full 3.5" pipe. Mine has drone, I can only imagine with headers. I would say maybe the muffler with a high flow resonator might do it for you.

Thanks I got the 15x5 XR1 sitting in my closet.  I’ll give it a try with it dumped over the rear axle.  I found a guy on YouTube that does a bunch of muffler videos for our trucks with headers and no cats.  He says it doesn’t drone with headers but who knows what to believe on the internet these days.

Thanks for you input.  If it’s to loud I’ll clamp the stock rear resonator temporally until I can get a resonator and a good tip put on.  

Yea my xr1 is way louder than the standard Flowmaster and magnaflow offerings. I have heard all 3 with 6.2s and mine is easily the loudest. Personal I think it sounds the best too.

Which headers do you have? And you have the O2s turned off in the tune?

Thinking that will be one of my next mods

1 hour ago, JONBLARC7 said:

Speed engineer with the cattless Y pipe.  And yes my rear O2's are turned off in the tune.

Oh good. How are you liking them? They fit good? Are you 4x4? I'm thinking about those soon on mine.