Amsoil 0W-20 and 5W-30 meets GM dexosD

33 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Fwiw, 100,000 miles on a 3.0L or 6.6L Duramax

Great point! 

Diesels by nature last longer than gas motors. No because of the fuel they use but because the fuel they use demands a higher level of engineering. Cylinder walls and rings are harder. Bearings are sized larger and so on. We all remember what happened to Oldsmobile when they attempted to use a gas architecture for a diesel motor....right? 

Speaking of which...a prime example of GM bean counter driven engineering that is.....trustable??? 

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Any major will take you a million miles if you wish. 

But not at OLM intervals.

Absolute rubbish. People do UOA's at OLM-prescribed intervals with all kinds of oil brands and find that the oil is still doing its job, amsoil not required. No reason to believe an engine couldn't last (and, they have...) to 1M miles on non-amsoil OE oil spec and change intervals.

Amsoil is another quality synthetic like so many others on the market. And that's where it ends.

1 hour ago, NorthskyblueT1 said:

Absolute rubbish. People do UOA's at OLM-prescribed intervals with all kinds of oil brands and find that the oil is still doing its job, amsoil not required. No reason to believe an engine couldn't last (and, they have...) to 1M miles on non-amsoil OE oil spec and change intervals.

Amsoil is another quality synthetic like so many others on the market. And that's where it ends.

There ya go again believing that saying a thing true makes it true. 

:dunno:

People BELEVE it is because they are TOLD it is....

Not because they know what they are reading or what it means.

It's a business

Riddle me this Batman. Ecotec I4 motors will not only NOT go past 100K in Dexos oil changed at 7.5K OEM OLM intevals. They won't do it at 5K Intervals. Rings stick 

Tell me why those rings are sticking?

I'll wait while you Google this.

40 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

There ya go again believing that saying a thing true makes it true. 

:dunno:

People BELEVE it is because they are TOLD it is....

Not because they know what they are reading or what it means.

It's a business

Riddle me this Batman. Ecotec I4 motors will not only NOT go past 100K in Dexos oil changed at 7.5K OEM OLM intevals. They won't do it at 5K Intervals. Rings stick 

Tell me why those rings are sticking?

I'll wait while you Google this.

Ecotec's don't go over 100k? Really? Then why do I know people who run them (who also wouldn't know what an Amsoil is, they change their oil when the light comes on) and they have over 100k on the original engines. Hmm? I'll wait while you come up with something.

Are you making stuff up?

To defend an oil brand? This just gets weirder, every post.

3 hours ago, NorthskyblueT1 said:

Ecotec's don't go over 100k? Really? Then why do I know people who run them (who also wouldn't know what an Amsoil is, they change their oil when the light comes on) and they have over 100k on the original engines. Hmm? I'll wait while you come up with something.

Are you making stuff up?

To defend an oil brand? This just gets weirder, every post.

Told you I wasn't BRAND LOYAL. I'm CHEMISTRY LOYAL.

Big fan of Red Line and MPT. 

You have reading comprehension issues. 

But let's stay on point....

So the lawsuits was unfounded? 

And yet GM settled?

Does this look made up?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/11/settlement-reached-in-class-action-oil-burn-lawsuit-against-gm/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/consumer-products/auto-news/42m-gm-chevy-equinox-oil-guzzling-class-action-settlement-approved

Try again. 

Let's take a closer look. The yet to be released Dexos1Gen3 standard focuses on what? 

https://www.lubesngreases.com/lubereport-americas/gm-releases-dexos1-gen-3-details/

Cam Chain Pin Wear

AND?

Piston Ring Deposits!

Why?

Because the current Dexos1Gen2 standard is a miserable FAILURE

See the above lawsuit.

3.6 Cam Chain Failure rates are a joke

Vortec AFM ring pack failures

Vortec AFM lifter failures

Ecotec Cam Phaser failures

K2 Vacuum pump failures

Ecotec3 VLOM failures

Ecotec3 lifter failures

And what do these failures have in common? Deposit formations!

The first 'fix' GM tried on the Ecotec I4 was to change the program shortening the OCI's for those motors. Why? Deposits. Plugged ring packs and plugged cam phaser screens. SO....the next lawsuit is currently in battle for the 2014 and later motors... AND knowing they will loose that one as well the ditched the motor entirely. I own two of these pigs. 2015 2.4 5K OCI's with QSUD and WIX filters and....80K ring pack failure. But not before a 50K cam phaser screen plug failure. 

GM's first FIX for the brake booster vacuum pump failures was to modify the pumps by use of a coarser screen. Lacquer and Varnish (oil degradation) was causing vacuum loss. To expensive they started modifying the ABS secondary vacuum system to 'band-aid' the pumps. They extended warranty to 150K. I have nearly 150 K on my original pump, problem free and for most of her life she lived on Red Line HP. Then AMSOIL SSs. No issues and I refuse to allow GM to play with my ABS to band-aid a lubrication issue they refuse to address.

Most AFM lifter failures are oil related. Plugged with varnish and lacquer VLOM primary and individual solenoid screens mistiming switching events. 

https://www.melling.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Melling-tech-bulletin-on-GM-LS-Deactivation-Lifter-Issues-3.1.18-1.pdf

And now being repeated in the Gen 5 motors. Soon to be ditched like the Ecotec I4 in favor of 'all electric'.

If you can't fix it. DUMP IT. 

Ever ask yourself why other major OEM's do not insist on the Dexos license and are perfectly happy with the SAE standards? 

I have no idea what your background is but mine is in oil/gas/chemical. Many years in R&D. Chevron USA/Gulf/Phillis and Chevron Research Synfuels/Lubes. Getty-polymers. Eastman Chemical. 40 total years. 

This is what Dexos1Gen2 oils changed at OEM OCI's will do to a Ecotec I4 driven by an adult. 

Piston-with-carbon-rings-zps9lk5skcj.jpg

10 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Told you I wasn't BRAND LOYAL. I'm CHEMISTRY LOYAL.

Big fan of Red Line and MPT. 

You have reading comprehension issues. 

But let's stay on point....

So the lawsuits was unfounded? 

And yet GM settled?

Does this look made up?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/11/settlement-reached-in-class-action-oil-burn-lawsuit-against-gm/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/consumer-products/auto-news/42m-gm-chevy-equinox-oil-guzzling-class-action-settlement-approved

Try again. 

Let's take a closer look. The yet to be released Dexos1Gen3 standard focuses on what? 

https://www.lubesngreases.com/lubereport-americas/gm-releases-dexos1-gen-3-details/

Cam Chain Pin Wear

AND?

Piston Ring Deposits!

Why?

Because the current Dexos1Gen2 standard is a miserable FAILURE

See the above lawsuit.

3.6 Cam Chain Failure rates are a joke

Vortec AFM ring pack failures

Vortec AFM lifter failures

Ecotec Cam Phaser failures

K2 Vacuum pump failures

Ecotec3 VLOM failures

Ecotec3 lifter failures

And what do these failures have in common? Deposit formations!

The first 'fix' GM tried on the Ecotec I4 was to change the program shortening the OCI's for those motors. Why? Deposits. Plugged ring packs and plugged cam phaser screens. SO....the next lawsuit is currently in battle for the 2014 and later motors... AND knowing they will loose that one as well the ditched the motor entirely. I own two of these pigs. 2015 2.4 5K OCI's with QSUD and WIX filters and....80K ring pack failure. But not before a 50K cam phaser screen plug failure. 

GM's first FIX for the brake booster vacuum pump failures was to modify the pumps by use of a coarser screen. Lacquer and Varnish (oil degradation) was causing vacuum loss. To expensive they started modifying the ABS secondary vacuum system to 'band-aid' the pumps. They extended warranty to 150K. I have nearly 150 K on my original pump, problem free and for most of her life she lived on Red Line HP. Then AMSOIL SSs. No issues and I refuse to allow GM to play with my ABS to band-aid a lubrication issue they refuse to address.

Most AFM lifter failures are oil related. Plugged with varnish and lacquer VLOM primary and individual solenoid screens mistiming switching events. 

https://www.melling.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Melling-tech-bulletin-on-GM-LS-Deactivation-Lifter-Issues-3.1.18-1.pdf

And now being repeated in the Gen 5 motors. Soon to be ditched like the Ecotec I4 in favor of 'all electric'.

If you can't fix it. DUMP IT. 

Ever ask yourself why other major OEM's do not insist on the Dexos license and are perfectly happy with the SAE standards? 

I have no idea what your background is but mine is in oil/gas/chemical. Many years in R&D. Chevron USA/Gulf/Phillis and Chevron Research Synfuels/Lubes. Getty-polymers. Eastman Chemical. 40 total years. 

This is what Dexos1Gen2 oils changed at OEM OCI's will do to a Ecotec I4 driven by an adult. 

Piston-with-carbon-rings-zps9lk5skcj.jpg

Based on what I know about the 2.4-specific issues and AFM issues is they are separate and a lot more complex than "Dexos sucks", a summary in fewer words based on your ranting about the spec. But explaining the actual complexity of the issue wouldn't support that narrative. You should mention the weak rings put in at the factory. You should mention a poorly designed PCV system and issues with oil being sucked into brake boosters causing the diaphragm to fail. You should also mention the lack of maintenance, ignorance of recommended change intervals, and lack of adherence to even minimum Dexos spec oil in many cases. With regards to AFM, you should talk about oil pressure. You might want to mention deposit formation with regards to direct injection. And high mileage, minimally maintained vehicles with AFM where the filter for the VLOM became clogged, or where it became clogged to no fault of the owner who did actually maintain the vehicle, except for that part.

You are absolutely wrong about reasons for ditching ICEs for electric. It's an industry-wide exploration fueled by politics and potential profit, but I can see where that might go, and I'm absolutely not interested in hearing what you have to say.

I'm going to maintain my vehicles how I see fit, and you should do yours. Convincing some guy on the internet at this point about oil is no longer worth my time, but I did show up to say you are making false statements and accusations based on an authority you claim to have. Hmm.

So this is where I say, "No thank you, I'm not interested in your book of lies and fairytales" and then shut the door.

Summary. Oils are not the problem. Extreme fuel mileage is. I know a few people up to the Frankenstein engines routinely would approach 300K miles out of their engines with standard oil changes. They’re now buying newer GMs. This will be interesting. Visiting  my father in law recently we road in his brand new CVR. I have one, he had one before. Not paying much attention I noticed it would sometimes jar a little leaving a stop light. He lives in a town with lots of them. I looked over and noticed it was shutting off. Stop start technology in a fuel sipping CRV, ridiculous. A couple miles per gallon (allegedly) it’s just not worth it. Too many things to go wrong.