Amsoil 0W-20 and 5W-30 meets GM dexosD

Like I said, why would I believe amsoil?? 

They play this same game with the allision transmission oils.

Fine example of pyramid marketing. 

37 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Pyramid marketing?

My first Google hit with this phrase came up: 

Pyramid companies make virtually all their profits from signing up new recruits and often attempt to disguise entry fees as the price charged for mandatory purchases of training, computer services, or product inventory. Pyramid schemes are not only illegal; ....

Better questions:

Why would you believe GM?

Why would you believe Exxon/Mobil?

Mobil is the company that is responsible for the contorted definition of Synthetic!

Castrol law suit ring a bell?

Really?

So Bernie Madoff is running AMSOIL?

Got to tell ya redwingr, I didn't see you as a tin hat type.

Then again.

People are always surprising me. 

:shakehead:

Run what ya like and have a nice day.

:driving:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, redwngr said:

AMSOIL demonstrates an uncommon loyalty toward its Dealer network that is remarkable in today's world. This is one of the reasons you will not find AMSOIL synthetic motor oils at big box retailers like Walmart, Costco etc. The company is dedicated to preserving brand value as well as limiting price-gouging competition.

As one of a few independently owned oil companies in the USA (Wis), they have always stood apart from the big oil companies. They maintain the freedom to formulate products based on performance, not price and are NOT beholden to a large corporation driven solely by profits. 

All these lists you want them to be on are lists of oils meeting the minimum specifications.  Why would they want to be such a list? If you are happy using what meets the minimum spec, great.

• Like 2

I don't know anything about the chemical make up of oils or any lubricant. But common sense tells me a 100% synthetic oil or lube would be better.

You can lead a horse to water.

Edited by diyer2
  • Haha 1

I owned a 61 Vette with a 283 cu in motor that was known to have a problem with overheating. GM over the years of production of the C1 vette made various changes to cooling systems , fan sizes and more blades etc. but the problem never went away.  One of the guys I worked with who was a real gear head was also a distributor for Amsoil.  He suggested I try it. It made a huge difference in how my engine performed. On really hot humid days my car would get so hot if I stopped for any reason it would stall. Anyone who remembers driving old classic cars  knows how the temp gauge would change with driving conditions. Going up steep hills the gauge goes up to max , coasting down hills the temp gauge goes down. Long explanation but real world results from using Amsoil in my engine made me a believer. The motor ran much cooler and smoother. I also put Amsoil transmission fluid in my baby and never had to double clutch again.

My 2 cents

• Like 3

I have to have my oil changed every 10k (min) at the Chevy dealer, because they gave me a lifetime powertrain warranty that stipulates that. The dealer offers/uses Amsoil. 

So maybe GM doesn't approve, or Amsoil doesn't license; but to me, the only things that matter are: 1) I like Amsoil based on research; and 2) my lifetime warranty provider approves it.

GM warrantee runs out quick, and before it matters 95% of the time. Good business calculation on their part, but I also think they build high mileage capable trucks.  

Stick to the oil, spec, or marketing you prefer. That way, the blame won't have to travel far if needed 😉

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 8:22 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Better questions:

Why would you believe GM?

General motors provides my powertrain warranty for the first 5 years or 60k miles of the truck's service life. That's why I don't necessarily believe them on anything, but I do follow their spec in order to be blameless and pure in the event of a major warranty claim.

Amsoil 0w20 is going for $7.99/quart on their website. 

AcDelco 0w20 Dexos Gen 2 Full Synthetic is $4.25/quart on Rockauto.

Mobil 1 0w20 AFE Dexos Gen 2 Full Synthetic is $6.32/quart *before rebate* on Rockauto.

Common sense, as they say, isn't so common. If I keep my truck for 200k miles, which would be a record for me, and I can lower the cost of oil changes by just less than 50%, while meeting the exact oil spec, why would I buy a product which is not only more expensive, it doesn't carry the certification. Meanwhile, the manufacturer says they're "saving me money", which, based on comparable product which meets the manufacturer's requirements, just isn't true.

But by all means, if someone wants to pay more for motor oil because they like the way the bottle looks, and doing so makes them feel both virtuous and righteous, I suppose it's cheaper than therapy in the long run...

25 minutes ago, NorthskyblueT1 said:

General motors provides my powertrain warranty for the first 5 years or 60k miles of the truck's service life. That's why I don't necessarily believe them on anything, but I do follow their spec in order to be blameless and pure in the event of a major warranty claim.

Amsoil 0w20 is going for $7.99/quart on their website. 

AcDelco 0w20 Dexos Gen 2 Full Synthetic is $4.25/quart on Rockauto.

Mobil 1 0w20 AFE Dexos Gen 2 Full Synthetic is $6.32/quart *before rebate* on Rockauto.

Common sense, as they say, isn't so common. (first statement) If I keep my truck for 200k miles, which would be a record for me, and I can lower the cost of oil changes by just less than 50%, while meeting the exact oil spec, why would I buy a product which is not only more expensive, it doesn't carry the certification. Meanwhile, the manufacturer says they're "saving me money", which, based on comparable product which meets the manufacturer's requirements, just isn't true.

But by all means,(last statement) if someone wants to pay more for motor oil because they like the way the bottle looks, and doing so makes them feel both virtuous and righteous, I suppose it's cheaper than therapy in the long run...

So you're aware that this short warranty period is telling you volumes.

Still you trust the spec enough to drink their Kool-Aid?

Because you don't wish to be seen as unrighteous IF you have a warranty claim?

Yet...you are comfortable with dumping that truck on someone when you're done.

Which isn't very long.

And a major warranty claim is okay as long as your virtuous.

Hum...

Let me think.....

l

l

l

Okay, in your case you are spot on in your cost analysis.

You do know that there are other GM approved & 'licensed' oils that are MUCH cheaper, right?

Mag 1

Super Tech

Kirkland ($2.50 a quart)

Run them until the OLM says zero then 500 more miles as allowed by your book.

Wring every penny from that oil because the oil is more valuable than the truck. 

1 hour ago, NorthskyblueT1 said:

But by all means, if someone wants to pay more for motor oil because they like the way the bottle looks, and doing so makes them feel both virtuous and righteous, I suppose it's cheaper than therapy in the long run...

So what you really know about oil wouldn't fill a thimble but you are an expert in human morality

Totally uncalled for sport

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

So you're aware that this short warranty period is telling you volumes.

Still you trust the spec enough to drink their Kool-Aid?

Because you don't wish to be seen as unrighteous IF you have a warranty claim?

Yet...you are comfortable with dumping that truck on someone when you're done.

Which isn't very long.

And a major warranty claim is okay as long as your virtuous.

Hum...

Let me think.....

l

l

l

Okay, in your case you are spot on in your cost analysis.

You do know that there are other GM approved & 'licensed' oils that are MUCH cheaper, right?

Mag 1

Super Tech

Kirkland ($2.50 a quart)

Run them until the OLM says zero then 500 more miles as allowed by your book.

Wring every penny from that oil because the oil is more valuable than the truck. 

So what you really know about oil wouldn't fill a thimble but you are an expert in human morality

Totally uncalled for sport

That's a lot of spit to say you like Amsoil. If you want to throw your money at it, great. Just don't pretend like there aren't more cost-effective ways to maintain an engine.

Sport.

Do us a favor and hit the "left justified" button so not everything you write looks like a poem.

4 minutes ago, NorthskyblueT1 said:

That's a lot of spit to say you like Amsoil. If you want to throw your money at it, great. Just don't pretend like there aren't more cost-effective ways to maintain an engine.

Sport.

Do us a favor and hit the "left justified" button so not everything you write looks like a poem.

I am not brand loyal.

I'm chemistry loyal.

Base chemistry.

Not additive chemistry.

Run a base line number for Nitration and Oxidation, TAN and TBN on your favorite Dexos oil and then again when your OLM says change me. Then do that again with a POA/POE based oil. Then come back and tell me how much longer you think you can run the PAO/POE. Two? Three? Four times longer? NOW do the math and tell me a Dexos1 licensed Group III  oils  is cheaper. Tell ya what your going to find. Your Dexos oils are not capable of even the OLM numbers and if after reading the reports you don't agree then you can't read a report either. 

Your knowledge of oil is limited to strike price and bounded by GM specs and change rules.

Neither of which is meant to take that motor to anyplace is CAN go.

Only as far as THEY wish it to.  

What? You don't like poems? 

You've go my attention

You may not have my personality

I owe you no such favor.

• Like 1

Iv said this in past oil threads concerning Amsoil. When we first started using Amsoil the goal was safety extending oil drains on our ROW equipment. The oil we were using was non synthetic with 200 hr drains. Their claims were we could safely double that and provided the oil analysis. Those engines ran at redline 10-12 hours a day. The results made us a dealer for their oils. We’ve seen transmission and hydraulic life in our equipment as well. This covers many years and hundreds of equipment. Excluding cars and trucks. There are different Amsoil products for different drain intervals. Using as designed saves money and time. Many years later we’ve never had a oil related failure. There’s probably other oils now in the Amsoil ball park. Iv used dealerships oils under warranty. Once out I usually switch to Amsoil. Iv never had an oil related failure on any oil. I don’t buy cheap oil or filters. At some of the drain intervals suggested in these threads any oil will do. Extended the choices are few.

18 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I am not brand loyal.

I'm chemistry loyal.

Base chemistry.

Not additive chemistry.

Run a base line number for Nitration and Oxidation, TAN and TBN on your favorite Dexos oil and then again when your OLM says change me. Then do that again with a POA/POE based oil. Then come back and tell me how much longer you think you can run the PAO/POE. Two? Three? Four times longer? NOW do the math and tell me a Dexos1 licensed Group III  oils  is cheaper. Tell ya what your going to find. Your Dexos oils are not capable of even the OLM numbers and if after reading the reports you don't agree then you can't read a report either. 

Your knowledge of oil is limited to strike price and bounded by GM specs and change rules.

Neither of which is meant to take that motor to anyplace is CAN go.

Only as far as THEY wish it to.  

What? You don't like poems? 

You've go my attention

You may not have my personality

I owe you no such favor.

Horsefeathers. Major oil brands will get an engine down the road for hundreds of thousands of miles. Strawman arguments and the boogeyman's chemistry analysis need not apply.

17 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Iv said this in past oil threads concerning Amsoil. When we first started using Amsoil the goal was safety extending oil drains on our ROW equipment. The oil we were using was non synthetic with 200 hr drains. Their claims were we could safely double that and provided the oil analysis. Those engines ran at redline 10-12 hours a day. The results made us a dealer for their oils. We’ve seen transmission and hydraulic life extended  in our equipment as well. This covers many years and hundreds of equipment. Including cars and trucks. There are different Amsoil products for different drain intervals. Using as designed saves money and time. Many years later we’ve never had a oil related failure. There’s probably other oils now in the Amsoil ball park. Iv used dealerships oils under warranty. Once out I usually switch to Amsoil. Iv never had an oil related failure on any oil. I don’t buy cheap oil or filters. At some of the drain intervals suggested in these threads any oil will do. Extended the choices are few.

2 hours ago, NorthskyblueT1 said:

Horsefeathers. Major oil brands will get an engine down the road for hundreds of thousands of miles. Strawman arguments and the boogeyman's chemistry analysis need not apply.

I didn't say I would test those samples for you.

I said YOU HAVE them tested.

You choose the lab.

Someone you trust to do the correct ASTM methods.

(I assume you believe me to be the 'boogeyman').

I'll go ya one better

You are correct.

Any major will take you a million miles if you wish. 

But not at OLM intervals.

Like most people you seem to believe that saying a thing so makes it so and that attacking the person is the same as attacking the facts. 

Show me where I "intentionally misrepresented" anything. Then show me what  your "Real Argument' is....

straw man
/ˌstrô ˈman/

noun
noun: strawman
  1. 1.
    an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.

You need to pick a horse mister

Chemistry, Economy, something else

Choose

Then say on point!

Edited by Grumpy Bear

7 hours ago, NorthskyblueT1 said:

General motors provides my powertrain warranty for the first 5 years or 60k miles of the truck's service life. 

Fwiw, 100,000 miles on a 3.0L or 6.6L Duramax

• Thanks 1