Rhinoliner Tuffgrip Installation - Spray over or under plugs?

Just first wanted to thank all of you who helped me out recently when researching my new truck.  I ended up going with the Elevation with the 5.3L - 10 speed.  The truck is stunning!

It didn't come with a bed liner, so after researching the different options (Rhino, Line-X, Bullet), I decided that for my needs the Rhino Tuff Grip should suit me best.  I will also install a Roll-n-Lock cover right after.  My question is what to do with the plastic or rubber tie down and other plugs in the bed?  I plan to install 2 tie downs on each side.  Was looking at the Dee Zee DZ97903 type.  They look better than the GM ones IMO.  The rest of the plugs will never be used.  I read that some spray over the plugs and others remove them before spraying, but with the thicker Rhino liner, will those plugs sit back in correctly afterwards? 

Thanks!  

Edited by JoJo1

I would suggest that you take the plugs out before spraying and put them back in afterwards. Regardless of your plans now, some months down the road you may change your mind and then you will have a very bad time trying to get the other plugs out. Better to plan for what might be than to cuss later.

On 1/29/2021 at 3:40 PM, rusty503 said:

I would suggest that you take the plugs out before spraying and put them back in afterwards. Regardless of your plans now, some months down the road you may change your mind and then you will have a very bad time trying to get the other plugs out. Better to plan for what might be than to cuss later.

THIS.

My truck didn't come with the liner sprayed in and I asked the dealership to remove them BEFORE they had them sprayed.  They didn't.  I should have just done it myself, but figured - HEY, I bought the truck from them.

I took the truck back and they hacked them out and it just looks bad.  Doesn't hurt anything since I was putting tiedowns in all of them anyway, but it drives me nuts.  Pull them out.  Spray.  Reinsert the ones you won't use the holes.  They'll pop back in.

Thanks everyone for the advice!  I had the installer remove all plugs except for the three on the front of the bed, because they'll get covered by the Roll-n-lock canister and should never be accessed again.  I also installed the Deezee cargo tie downs.  Installation was very easy and they look good.  I coated the threads with a thick coating of anti-seize.

20210202_151829_resized.jpg

• Like 1