P06DD - Oil Pump Failure Findings

Hey all,

I wanted to share my findings related to P06DD Engine code.

First off are my truck stats:

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L w/ ~130000km.  

This truck has been pretty worry free other that the cracked radiator covered under  a SSB.

I noticed my truck making a weird whining noise after an oil change.  It sounded like a mix between a supercharger and a bad power steering pump.  Other than that no tell tail signs untill P06DD code flashed.

I researched a ton and found that it was most likely the oil sending unit or an oil pump issue.  I change the oil sending unit but it failed to clear the code.

I got a quote for $2400cad at a local repair shop for an oil pump change out.  Big job, lots of hours.

I was so unsure of what to do as the info on the net was a bit flakey.  I decided to go ahead and get the pump replaced and asked to have the old pump so I could look for damage.

This is what i found:

IMG-4168-1.jpg
IMG-4170.jpg

It appears to be a stress crack right at the pivot point of the external ring. 

The pivot design is a bit different than other Variable Displacement pumps Ive seen. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, agentf said:

Hey all,

I wanted to share my findings related to P06DD Engine code.

First off are my truck stats:

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L w/ ~130000km.  

This truck has been pretty worry free other that the cracked radiator covered under  a SSB.

I noticed my truck making a weird whining noise after an oil change.  It sounded like a mix between a supercharger and a bad power steering pump.  Other than that no tell tail signs untill P06DD code flashed.

I researched a ton and found that it was most likely the oil sending unit or an oil pump issue.  I change the oil sending unit but it failed to clear the code.

I got a quote for $2400cad at a local repair shop for an oil pump change out.  Big job, lots of hours.

I was so unsure of what to do as the info on the net was a bit flakey.  I decided to go ahead and get the pump replaced and asked to have the old pump so I could look for damage.

This is what i found:

IMG-4168-1.jpg
IMG-4170.jpg

It appears to be a stress crack right at the pivot point of the external ring. 

The pivot design is a bit different than other Variable Displacement pumps Ive seen. 

hmmm...very interesting.  After the oil change did this sound last briefly?  Only at startup?  or continually during operation?  Thanks!  Sorry, for your misfortune too!

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

hmmm...very interesting.  After the oil change did this sound last briefly?  Only at startup?  or continually during operation?  Thanks!  Sorry, for your misfortune too!

The sound was continually during operation.  It could be heard while driving.

Apparently this is a common problem in 14 and 15's only.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, agentf said:

The sound was continually during operation.  It could be heard while driving.

Apparently this is a common problem in 14 and 15's only.

Thanks!  I recently had abhorrent sound after oil change and thought it was oil pump telling me it's going to grenade in future.... 

• 7 months later...