In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Have a 2020 Sierra 1500 Denali - Purchased in December 2019 - best GM truck I have owned. First week in February attempted to remote start - nothing; then changed battery in remote - nothing; go out to the cold truck and manually unlocked - totally dead - 3.5 volts; charged overnight with my regular battery charger - amps pegged out on full charge, switched to 2 amp slow charge and pulled 8 amps ??. Left overnight and got in to bring to dealer - DIC showed "Extremely low fuel level" - I thought that maybe I did not turn the truck

off and ran all the gas out - got my 6 gal can of premium fuel and topped it off - took 4 gallons ?? Started and took to dealer - fuel warning gone, but CEL on of course. Sat a day at the dealer - they looked at it next day and came up with a dead cell in the battery - replace with new battery and took home to live happily ever after. Used the truck next several days and sat over the weekend. Went to start on Tuesday and dead again - charged on low setting overnight - 5 amps on 2 amp setting ?? - dealer put "analyzer" on the truck and saw a parasitic discharge for a while and then went away. Kept on machine over the weekend and Seat Control Module wanted to communicate 290 times by Monday morning. Ordered Seat Control Module - 2 days later, GM does not have a seat control module in stock and is backordered. GM is now looking around the country for a Seat Control Module .......... I know it "talks" to the Body Control Module (I see a couple of those going bad too) ..... waiting to see if GM can find the Seat Control Module. Have a loaner small SUV from the dealer, but truck is my long distance family visiting machine ............

All these fancy features are causing all sorts of reliability issues across the board for all the manufacturers, it sucks.  I hope they get yours fixed.  Battery related issues are going to be the most constant issue now a days

Checked multiple online GM part sources for the Seat Control Module - most show the Seat Control Module - but none are in stock and are back ordered and GM as no expected release date. So I wait until GM comes through with a release date and a replacement part - not just plug and play, has to be programmed. May be easier to just order a new truck ..............

tell them you NEED A Truck not a tiny  suv..  Make them give you a equivalent Truck to drive and they will  look a bit harder and find the  Long lost part.  

Edited by ericarenee

Make sure you have the latest software in the infotainment system ...

Mine was deader than a doornail  .... cause:  open circuit.  Fix ... software update

2 hours ago, steve841 said:

Make sure you have the latest software in the infotainment system ...

Mine was deader than a doornail  .... cause:  open circuit.  Fix ... software update

Yep, there is a software update for dead battery concern

Still searching for a seat control module - some more data on Power Seat Control Module causing dead battery.

What are the symptoms of a bad Power Seat Control Module?

Symptoms of a malfunctioning power seat control module might include the seat not moving in one or more directions when the switches are actuated, or the seat not moving at all. On vehicles equipped with seat heaters with controls mounted with the power seat controls, inoperative seat heaters may be a symptom of a faulty control module. Also, in some cases, seat setting memory loss may result from a bad seat control module. Occasionally, a dead battery or a blown fuse can be a symptom of a bad control module as well.

Seat Memory Control Module - GM (13517130)

Seat Memory Control Module - GM (13517130)

• List Price: $168.92
  • You Save: $58.96 (34.90% off)
  • Sale Price: $109.96

Nope - new part number is 23338340 and the old part number is 13517130 and the new part is not available from GM - GM online part stores have this reversed and wasted a bunch of time finding a 13517130 at another dealer which was in stock, but what you want is the the part number that fixes problems with the old unit - not working and/or draining the battery. No timing from GM other than a few days out for 23338340 - a $100 part has taken my truck out of service for 15 days so far. Don't understand why GM can't pull parts from the assembly plant to get our trucks back on the road ......... Grrrrrr !

Talked with repairing dealers "Customer Experience Manager" and are upping my lack of part to fix my truck to the GM District Manager. Called Dealer at which the truck was purchased and asked for a push from them - did not trust the truck to go 35 miles to them due to jump starting particularities - high amp flow on charge before jump. Selling Dealer had me go back to GMC.com Customer Service on call in - ended up being on text. Gave them my reference number and they will get back to me in two business days. There are many trucks that sit at the dealer waiting for a part - like two months. I could request a loaner Pickup Truck as the next step. I was told if it sits for more than thirty days GM would help pay my note on the purchase - mostly cash, trade in and tiny note ........... not interested. I am going to see where this goes, but a new truck with the correct part would be my chosen direction - exact same truck and swap them out ................. Day 15 out of service today !

• Sad 1

Selling dealer cant do anything for you unless your truck is in their shop.  All that's going to happen is parts will put a spac case on your part and hopefully someone will release one if its available.  Parts have been a pain due to the covid BS excuse.  You could remove the fuse for the seat control module if you decide to not get a loaner until the part comes in.  Trust me they are not going to swap you vehicles because of this issue.  The only way that gets done is through the lemon law and that takes time and a big headache.  Trust me, i have first hand experience in that situation. 

Thanks Kent, yeah, I realize selling dealer can not really do something except maybe a push, but did say phone calls to the customer service center is the best approach to elevate the case. Repairing dealer looking to see if pulling the fuse will get the truck back in service - pulling the bad module will probably set some codes ........they are going to look at it and let it sit overnight to see if it still discharging from anything else - seat module is the most likely suspect but need to verify. Thanks for your input ......

8 hours ago, michaeldc46 said:

Thanks Kent, yeah, I realize selling dealer can not really do something except maybe a push, but did say phone calls to the customer service center is the best approach to elevate the case. Repairing dealer looking to see if pulling the fuse will get the truck back in service - pulling the bad module will probably set some codes ........they are going to look at it and let it sit overnight to see if it still discharging from anything else - seat module is the most likely suspect but need to verify. Thanks for your input ......

There is also a radio update for a battery draw issue.

GM and their manufacturer has produced 240 new design Seat Control Modules and my truck should be one of the first to get one. No firm timing yet.

Newly Designed Seat Control Module to be shipped first week in March. Hopefully they kept my new battery on a charger or disconnected while truck was sitting and not just left totally dead for 10 days - check on this Monday.

New Seat Control Module in Cincinnati on Friday and on its way to my repairing Dealer north of Detroit for possible repair on Monday and then a day or two to make sure that it is the only cause of the battery draining to dead over 3 days ..............