Recall ... 14 years later! N212328780 - pass. airbag will KILL or MAIM you w/ SHRAPNEL!

I posted this 2 weeks ago. 

We also traded in a Honda with oil dilution that Honda said is normal. 

They all make a bad one sometimes.

Dump it and move on. 

1 hour ago, Jsdirt said:

I've got WAY too much into this thing to give up now. Air bags, air compressors, cat back, CAI, roll back tonneau, Westin step rails, plus a Ox Locker rear diff and PerformaBuilt transmission. Besides, I live in MA - any time you change vehicles, it costs. Sales tax, plate transfer, insurance, then it gives your town an excuse to raise the annual excise tax on said vehicle. Like divorce lawyers say, "cheaper to keep her" in this state. Besides, the truck is worthless - everyone knows about the engines in these. I could sell it and have the engine fail 2 days later. Now I've got more crap to deal with. This one I'm driving straight to the crusher. No one else will ever own it, unless I'm 6 feet under.

Besides, half the driveline has been fixed. Just the engine and transfer case remain. I just deal with the poor engineering as it presents itself and replace it with something far better. I've got SKF hub bearings, better diff, better trans, better shocks and struts, better ball joints, better brakes (except the rear drums - those are the one thing I haven't had trouble with on this thing). Starting to run out of things to fix, thankfully.

Amen! This is the exact same path I'm following to the exact same crusher. So far, in my case, this has been to modify the suspension so it doesn't ride like a cement truck. King coilovers/shocks/front springs, Deaver rear leaves, Sulastic hangers.  Modifying the cooling system so it runs somewhat cooler than Donte's Inferno. Modify/replace the trans pan and thermostat to the same effect. A dab of RTV on a new pinion seal. A replacement starter shield. Upgrade all fluids. 135,000 miles thus far fairly drama free. 

I'd like to take a moment to thank you for sharing your experiences with your project as I believe that it has helped me prevent many of the same issues. So again. THANKS!!    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

I posted this 2 weeks ago. 

We also traded in a Honda with oil dilution that Honda said is normal. 

They all make a bad one sometimes.

Dump it and move on. 

As soon as your check arrives, pal. 🤣

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Amen! This is the exact same path I'm following to the exact same crusher. So far, in my case, this has been to modify the suspension so it doesn't ride like a cement truck. King coilovers/shocks/front springs, Deaver rear leaves, Sulastic hangers.  Modifying the cooling system so it runs somewhat cooler than Donte's Inferno. Modify/replace the trans pan and thermostat to the same effect. A dab of RTV on a new pinion seal. A replacement starter shield. Upgrade all fluids. 135,000 miles thus far fairly drama free. 

I'd like to take a moment to thank you for sharing your experiences with your project as I believe that it has helped me prevent many of the same issues. So again. THANKS!!    

Glad to help, Marty! :thumbs:

It amazes me how the younger generation just likes to throw money at problems. Buy another truck, lol - yeah, that's wise! I'd be lucky to get $10k for mine with everything I've done. New is $60k, used low miles is half that. Sales tax in MA on $30-LARGE is $1,875, Insurance on that with mandatory full coverage since I don't have 30-LARGE laying around in cash will be $1,500 a year, registration $60, and that flimsy piece of paper they call a title is $75. THEN, I'd have to fix all of GM's F-ups all over again! You guys that say dump it crack me the hell up! You guys must have money trees in your backyards. I like to do other things besides DRIVE ... like ride motorcycles, or fly paramotors. All the money I save not buying a new POS every 3 damn years allows me to do BOTH these hobbies ... and keep all my bills paid, plus extra for other things.

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

Glad to help, Marty! :thumbs:

It amazes me how the younger generation just likes to throw money at problems. Buy another truck, lol - yeah, that's wise! I'd be lucky to get $10k for mine with everything I've done. New is $60k, used low miles is half that. Sales tax in MA on $30-LARGE is $1,875, Insurance on that with mandatory full coverage since I don't have 30-LARGE laying around in cash will be $1,500 a year, registration $60, and that flimsy piece of paper they call a title is $75. THEN, I'd have to fix all of GM's F-ups all over again! You guys that say dump it crack me the hell up! You guys must have money trees in your backyards. I like to do other things besides DRIVE ... like ride motorcycles, or fly paramotors. All the money I save not buying a new POS every 3 damn years allows me to do BOTH these hobbies ... and keep all my bills paid, plus extra for other things.

I did a full workup and posted it once upon a time. The 'real' cost of a new truck is never considered. It is staggering.  If it were far fewer vehicles would be sent to the crushers and far better care taken of the current paid for ride. 

• Like 1

I hear that, Marty. I paid $31,000 for mine. Couple hundred for ball joints around 40k miles, a few hundred for Bilstein shocks, another few hundred for the Firestone airbags plus another $100 or so for the in-cab control kit,  $500 for the step rails, $900 for the Corsa cat back, $150 for the CAI, $150 for the Hypertech programmer, $600 for TWO sets of hub bearings I've gone through so far, $4,800 for a built-to-the-moon transmission plus $400 for a cooler, install kit, and Amsoil ATF for a flush, and a pair of o2 sensors while the Y-pipe was out, and Y-pipe flange gaskets, $1,200 for the Ox Locker & another $50 for fluid, and seals, plus a few other odds and ends I've long forgotten.

I don't even want to add up the lifetime excise taxes over 14 years - well over $2,000 and climbing. And a newer vehicle = higher excise taxes! It's a lose-lose.

• Like 1

OK Mr. Dirt. 

I have said before that I have bought used vehicles all  my life. Saved a lot of money, said that also. The Honda, first new car I wasn't gong to deal with oil dilution. 

At this time in my life I can afford to do what ever I want. Traded the Honda on a used Hyundai. 

Oh and I'm not some young kid. 

For the record I don't come here to complain about GM. I fix it and forget it.

Just sayin!

• Like 1

I come here to "complain", not only because I own a POS, but because I work on 100's of similar POS's. I'm attempting to get the auto industry to change. People like you are the reason they'll NEVER change! You keep buying these crapboxes, and turn a blind eye and make excuses for the myriad of failures. Most of the failures I see today are a direct result of COST CUTTING. 100% avoidable! I wouldn't mind spending a few grand more on a vehicle to get something that's built halfway decent.

Just so you know, 90% of the people who claim they have no problems are because they have no idea mechanically what is happening around them. I guarantee you that failures are imminent - just a question of when. Some happen quick, while others take some time. Billions of variables go into that from length of oil changes, type of oil used (synthetic vs. dino), driving style , climate and  probably 1,000 others. The one constant is automakers CUT CORNERS.

Edited by Jsdirt

1 hour ago, Jsdirt said:

I come here to "complain", not only because I own a POS, but because I work on 100's of similar POS's. I'm attempting to get the auto industry to change. People like you are the reason they'll NEVER change! You keep buying these crapboxes, and turn a blind eye and make excuses for the myriad of failures. Most of the failures I see today are a direct result of COST CUTTING. 100% avoidable! I wouldn't mind spending a few grand more on a vehicle to get something that's built halfway decent.

Just so you know, 90% of the people who claim they have no problems are because they have no idea mechanically what is happening around them. I guarantee you that failures are imminent - just a question of when. Some happen quick, while others take some time. Billions of variables go into that from length of oil changes, type of oil used (synthetic vs. dino), driving style , climate and  probably 1,000 others. The one constant is automakers CUT CORNERS.

I don't know if I'd go as far as 100% of the failures being cost cutting but yea...are very large percentage. There is a good number of guys shooting themselves in the foot as well. Could give them perfection and they would kill it. 

The one in bold.....likely these days. Scores of boys with toys that couldn't tell you the difference between a spark plug and a fire plug. That is just sad. 

Pretty sure though that diyer2 isn't on that list of "don't know don't care". He seems one of those guys for whom people line up to by his seconds. Just say' n.