Help a brother out....

Could someone with a 2014-2018 1/2 tonne truck take a picture of the top of their strut (from above - in the engine bay) that shows the nut. I want to see if there are threads above the nut when properly torqued. 

BONUS - if it was an Eibach strut I'd be massively grateful

I had a nut strip off (human error) and i will require a new strut, but first i want to see if the other side is abnormally installed. 

Thank you SO MUCH for your help.

20210414_154840 (1) 2.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, James ****** said:

yes there is prob 1/2" of thread above it

Thank you James! (is your stock, or Eibach?)

That's what i thought would be the case. 

Something appears to be wrong with the spring / strut assembly that doesn't allow the full height of the strut to extend through the truck mount.

I ordered 1 new strut to replace the passenger side with the stripped threads. The drivers side, i removed that nut to check the threads and they look fine. 

When the new strut arrives next week, I'm taking it to a shop to disassemble and redo the installation, plus alignment. Hopefully this doesn't happen again. 

Anyone know what could possibly cause the strut to be 1/2 inch short at the top? Maybe a perch or bushing installed upsides down?

Edited by YYC-SIERRA

This is the drivers side, with nut and washer removed. The threads are good, but when you put the washer back on, there's really not much room at all to screw the nut. 

I emailed Eibach for their opinion, waiting for a response. 

20210414_203722.jpg

spacer.png

49 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

Suspension components like struts should be replaced in pairs.

Absolutely. 

I bought the full Eibach front end, 2 new springs and 2 new struts. I had a buddy install it in his garage with cheap spring compressors. Somehow during installation, something was messed up. While at the alignment shop, the top nut on the passenger side sheared off and stripped the threads. The driver side is still on, but there are no threads above the nut. Something wasn't done correctly. 

So after I take delivery of the 1 replacement Eibach strut next week, I'm having the shop disassemble and reassemble everything properly. Everything is 100% new, the existing components having less than 10 miles during the drive to alignment shop. 

Moral of the story, pay the money and do it right the first time! Doh 

Edited by YYC-SIERRA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierZ said:

I have the Eibach shocks and springs on my truck. The threads are even with the top of the nut. 

F5A7F9BF-62B9-4180-892C-11AFF699E0C6.jpeg

HoosierZ, THANK YOU so much, that is exactly what i was looking for....my new strut is delivered on Tuesday and it's in the shop first thing Wednesday morning

The new struts come with different locking nuts than the OEM ones.  I didn't realize this at first and need to change one of them to the nut that came with the struts.  I have an OEM on one side and an Eibach one on the other.  No issues so far.